A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 sports suspension to low? getting scuffed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 sports suspension to low? getting scuffed?

Has anyone have scuffing the bumper problem? I just got my car four days ago. at the day of pick up, I have found scuff marks and damaged plastic cover underneath the bumper. The car only had 26 miles. Anyhow, my dealer is going to repair it for free replace the cover.

My question is, are there any clear hard plastic protective film that I can apply underneath my bumper? I have a white color so when it get scuffed it exposes the black ABS plastic. I saw one for the rear trunk bumper.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't know of any hard plastics but i have honestly never looked. I've have driven and learned the hard way with my past 350z and G35 to be very careful when parking the car and not ride up on the curb to avoid scuffing the bottom. I've had my A4 with sports suspension for a week now and just take it easy when parking. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I run up on something and hear the dreadful curb noise.

That sucks that you bought it with scratches already but I'm glad to hear that the dealer is fixing it for you.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:31 PM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my a3 can not clear all parking curbs, and it is stock sport suspension. Have to make sure you don't try to get too close to some curbs.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

searching in the web I have found this? Has anyone tried this film before? I am thinking about applying it on the bumper bottom.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gard-PPF/Home/
Old 08-04-2009, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audilicious_B8
searching in the web I have found this? Has anyone tried this film before? I am thinking about applying it on the bumper bottom.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gard-PPF/Home/
If you're rubbing on pavement, that film won't do anything. It's only good for pebbles that would otherwise dent your paint.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mart242
If you're rubbing on pavement, that film won't do anything. It's only good for pebbles that would otherwise dent your paint.

I have the 3M paint protection film on my A4 B8 (I've seen it called Stoneguard as well). I do find it prevents the scuffing of the bumper when I hit the curbs/medians when parking the A4.

I've only made the mistake twice, but since I drove an SUV before the A4 I needed to get used to keeping my distance from the curb. Each time it happened, I was certain I'd had a large scrape on the bottom of the bumper as it scraped hard going over the curb and then again when I backed up. I was happy to see that the heavy clear film had prevented any bumper scratches.

In addition to my front bumper, I had them put it on my hood, mirrors, door edges,rear bumper etc. - after about 6000 km's I have no scrapes or chips, so it seems to be doing the job (but still early).
Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

My car came with it from the dealer. But on a white car, it looked like crap. I took it off.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most today's new cars that have a sport suspension cannot clear parking stumps. You must learn to drive differently. But once you do and get used to it, you'll never realize you are doing anything out of the ordinary. Give it a few months. The whole ordeal is worth the look.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eh... my friend had his old 330i so low that you could barely stand up a dollar bill on its short side in his bumper...

moral of the story: you can never be too low!
Old 08-05-2009, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Have a stock non-sports on my B8 and I've been extremely wary about parking lot stumps or curbs when parking but thankfully at least with the 17" P+ wheels/suspension the B8 seems to JUST clear every type of parking stump/curb. I've had the entire bumper area over the curb and pulled out of the spot with not a single issue which is a relief.

I'm so cautious because 8 years ago I had a VW Jetta GLX VR6 with what I believe were 16" wheels (maybe 15" but not sure) and one day after a long day I parked in usual spot but accidentally parked too far up. Not realizing I went home, next day I pulled out as normal and heard a LOUD noise. Went to the front of the car and the entire front bumper had been pulled off!!! What a disaster.

I hate parking stumps/blocks with a passion and curbs...but at least with the B8 it seems to clear them fine and there doesn't appear to be an easy way for it to get caught on them backing out.

Quick Reply: A4 sports suspension to low? getting scuffed?