A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 Start Lag

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 Start Lag

I'm considering buying an A4 and decided to take one for a test drive last weekend. One thing that bugged me was the very long delay until the car started moving when accelerating from a full stop, it was very noticeable and I'm not sure if I can get used to it.

I asked the salesperson that was with me but for some reason every time I enter a dealership I end up with a person that knows less about the car they are trying to sell than I do so he wasn't much help. He offered to let me drive an S4 which did not have that delay at all but that's not really a valid comparison (I also drove a 328 and I didn't feel that delay either).

I've tried to search on the internet and end up reading a post claiming it was the software on the FWD models holding back on purpose so it doesn't lose traction. So is the delay still there on the quattro models or does it only go away with a V6?

I'll probably try an A4 quattro next week but I'm curious to know how other people feel. The car I drove was P+ CVT auto, 18" sports package.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Drive a quattro and you'll say, "what lag?"
Old 11-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I felt the lag too. These are heavy cars with a small 4 banger so before the turbo spools it is mediocre at best and with all the drive loss in the CVT it makes it worse. Go for the manual and all the problems go away, that's what I did. When the turbo kicks in though it turns into a v6. I think it also has to do with the software controlling the system too. This is the first car (auto) that I ever drove that did this. I was shocked too my first ride. I made my choice.
Even the v6 has a little lag. I think it is mainly software related as to why these vehicles do this. I think most people just get used to it but I didn't like it either.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but one thing Audi is doing now is physically dis-engaging the clutch all together at stops. On mine, if I'm at a stop and I let off the break super fast, the car sits there for a second while 1st gear is engaged. Alternatively, if I'm at a stop and I slowly let of the break, I'll feel 1st gear engage and the car will start to creep forward a little.

I believe I read somewhere that they do this to save gas (granted ever so small) and to save wear/tear on the transmission. I even noticed it does this when you come to a stop very slowly, where the last few feet it will disengage and coast. Took me a little while to get used to it as I drove a manual T forever so I'd do all the clutch work myself, OR, driving an American car, the clutch is always engaged.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's the CVT transmission giving you that problem. No lag with quattro
Old 11-17-2009, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by monarchy09
It's the CVT transmission giving you that problem. No lag with quattro
I need to take a closer look at the transmission. I had no idea it was CVT...
Old 11-18-2009, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by a4Happy
I believe I read somewhere that they do this to save gas (granted ever so small) and to save wear/tear on the transmission. I even noticed it does this when you come to a stop very slowly, where the last few feet it will disengage and coast. Took me a little while to get used to it as I drove a manual T forever so I'd do all the clutch work myself, OR, driving an American car, the clutch is always engaged.
Make that torque converter. Unless, you have DSG of course (which does disengage the clutch packs while stopped). Of course I'm used to it already, its most noticeable when stopped on a hill. When you take off, depending on how much gas you give the car it harshly engages, but unlike DSG the car doesn't roll slightly back.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by a4Happy
I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but one thing Audi is doing now is physically dis-engaging the clutch all together at stops. On mine, if I'm at a stop and I let off the break super fast, the car sits there for a second while 1st gear is engaged. Alternatively, if I'm at a stop and I slowly let of the break, I'll feel 1st gear engage and the car will start to creep forward a little.

The torque converter is disengaged at stops in the Tip primarily to reduce vibration and harshness transmitted to the cabin at stops. It does make a big difference compared to the B7.

I agree that trying a quattro model with a manual or tip (vs the underwhelming CVT on the non-quattro model) is a good idea. IMO buying an Audi without quattro is a shame, as you miss out on so much of the potential of the car.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

CVT's use clutch packs. There is a brief moment of delay as they engage. All Audis also have an adaptive shift program. So the more leadfooted drivers have less lag. Gentle drivers will experience a bit more because you have gentler throttle tip in.
I drive a manual because I like being in control. IMO there is nothing better than a manual Audi with Quattro. But different strokes for different folks.