A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-12-2016, 09:30 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Specifications & General Maintenace
Print Wikipost

A4 vs. A5 driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 vs. A5 driving impressions

I've been searching for a comparison between the A4 and A5. I'm very interested in seeing what are the performance and driving benefits of one vs. the other, if any. I'm just trying to figure out which one I should buy

I posted this topic in the A5 forum but no one replied.

Thanks for your help.

TyTy
Old 07-11-2009, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

You might try driving them.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was curious too. I wondered if it's exactly as an A4 but only with two doors. However, if you look at the dimensions, the A5 is a bit larger (outside) and weighs more. How that translates into real world everyday driving is hard to say.

In addition, the A4 allows the choice of the 2.0 blown motor with more low end torque. That does translate into useful everyday driving, if you don't mind not having a NA motor. But of course you can get the same A5 3.2 NA in the A4.

This applies to 2009 and the US. Not sure about 2010 and outside the US.

I think the decision would be made primarily on whether one wants the styling of a coupe or the convenience of a sedan. Given the same motors (the 3.2), I would doubt that one would notice a large enough difference in driving the two to negate that sort of choice.

I kinda like the A5 styling but the smaller greenhouse makes the car look a bit bulbous in comparison to the A4, imho.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

At the A5 launch I tested the S5 and a A5. I was really tempted by this car .... until I found there was no way a rear facing kiddie seat would go in the rear. I therefore turned my attention to the A4 and eventually an Avant.

Anyway I found that the A5 (and even more the S5) felt like a much heavier car than the A4. The S5 I felt was a great GT car but quite soft and relaxed power after my B6 S4. The A5 handling felt good compared with my S4 but you could definately feel the extra size and weight. I was disappointed that I was still finding understeer which I was expecting they would have dialled out but that was probably me just getting my hopes up.

It sounds very boring to say it but it simply felt like a car that was between an A4 and A6.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
At the A5 launch I tested the S5 and a A5. I was really tempted by this car .... until I found there was no way a rear facing kiddie seat would go in the rear. I therefore turned my attention to the A4 and eventually an Avant.

Anyway I found that the A5 (and even more the S5) felt like a much heavier car than the A4. The S5 I felt was a great GT car but quite soft and relaxed power after my B6 S4. The A5 handling felt good compared with my S4 but you could definately feel the extra size and weight. I was disappointed that I was still finding understeer which I was expecting they would have dialled out but that was probably me just getting my hopes up.

It sounds very boring to say it but it simply felt like a car that was between an A4 and A6.
I take it that your B6 S4 has good engine and suspension modifications for you to think that the S5 is "soft with relaxed power" after you’re B6 S4 (which is the same weight as to 100 pounds heavier than the S5 when comparably equipped).

All of the automotive press worldwide has confirmed that stock for stock with the same suspension that the S5 is a bit faster, handles much better, is much more taut and much less soft than the B6 S4, making everything in this paragraph official.

Also, stock for stock, all of the automotive press has confirmed that the A5/S5 handles better, is tauter and less soft than the B8 A4/A4 AllRoad/Q5/S4 with the same engines and suspensions. Also, the A5/S5 weighs 100 to 200 pounds less than the B8 A4/A4 AllRoad/Q5/S4 when comparably equipped. The A5/S5 is also half a foot shorter than the B8 A4/A4 AllRoad/Q5/S4.

The A5 you test drove must have had the optional basic sport suspension (A spec or S Line spec) or standard non sport suspension (A spec only), all without the following options: Audi Drive Select and rear wheel or all wheel sport differential.

The S5 you test drove must have had the standard basic sport suspension (S spec only), also without the following options: Audi Drive Select and rear wheel or all wheel sport differential.

The B8 A4 you test drove must have had the sport suspension (S Line spec only) with the optional Audi Drive Select (with or without the optional rear wheel or all wheel sport differential).

The B8 S4 you test drove (if you even test drove a B8 S4, that is) must have had its mandatory sport suspension (S spec only, which is sportier than S Line spec, FWIW) with the following option: Audi Drive Select (with or without the optional rear wheel or all wheel sport differential).

All of the above is the only way for the A5/S5 to feel bigger, heavier softer and more boring than the B8 A4/A4 AllRoad/S4/Q5 and the relatively archaic B6/B7 S4 when the opposite is actually the case (which, again, was confirmed by all of the automotive press worldwide).

Otherwise, everything you just said that I quoted is, without a doubt, absolutely a huge load of garbage.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Audi S5 TC
I take it that your B6 S4 has good engine and suspension modifications for you to think that the S5 is "soft with relaxed power" after you’re B6 S4 (which is the same weight as to 100 pounds heavier than the S5 when comparably equipped).

All of the automotive press worldwide has confirmed that stock for stock with the same suspension that the S5 is a bit faster, handles much better, is much more taut and much less soft than the B6 S4, making everything in this paragraph official.

Also, stock for stock, all of the automotive press has confirmed that the A5/S5 handles better, is tauter and less soft than the B8 A4/A4 AllRoad/Q5/S4 with the same engines and suspensions. Also, the A5/S5 weighs 100 to 200 pounds less than the B8 A4/A4 AllRoad/Q5/S4 when comparably equipped. The A5/S5 is also half a foot shorter than the B8 A4/A4 AllRoad/Q5/S4.

The A5 you test drove must have had the optional basic sport suspension (A spec or S Line spec) or standard non sport suspension (A spec only), all without the following options: Audi Drive Select and rear wheel or all wheel sport differential.

The S5 you test drove must have had the standard basic sport suspension (S spec only), also without the following options: Audi Drive Select and rear wheel or all wheel sport differential.

The B8 A4 you test drove must have had the sport suspension (S Line spec only) with the optional Audi Drive Select (with or without the optional rear wheel or all wheel sport differential).

The B8 S4 you test drove (if you even test drove a B8 S4, that is) must have had its mandatory sport suspension (S spec only, which is sportier than S Line spec, FWIW) with the following option: Audi Drive Select (with or without the optional rear wheel or all wheel sport differential).

All of the above is the only way for the A5/S5 to feel bigger, heavier softer and more boring than the B8 A4/A4 AllRoad/S4/Q5 and the relatively archaic B6/B7 S4 when the opposite is actually the case (which, again, was confirmed by all of the automotive press worldwide).

Otherwise, everything you just said that I quoted is, without a doubt, absolutely a huge load of garbage.
I forgot to mention that the only way that the A5/S5 could simply feel like a car between the A4/S4 and A6/S6 is in all of the ways I described in numerous full details that I quoted from my last reply message to this topic above.

Otherwise, as I said before, everything you said that I quoted from your reply message is, without a doubt, absolutely a huge load of garbage.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Orangetree
I was curious too. I wondered if it's exactly as an A4 but only with two doors. However, if you look at the dimensions, the A5 is a bit larger (outside) and weighs more. How that translates into real world everyday driving is hard to say.

In addition, the A4 allows the choice of the 2.0 blown motor with more low end torque. That does translate into useful everyday driving, if you don't mind not having a NA motor. But of course you can get the same A5 3.2 NA in the A4.

This applies to 2009 and the US. Not sure about 2010 and outside the US.

I think the decision would be made primarily on whether one wants the styling of a coupe or the convenience of a sedan. Given the same motors (the 3.2), I would doubt that one would notice a large enough difference in driving the two to negate that sort of choice.

I kinda like the A5 styling but the smaller greenhouse makes the car look a bit bulbous in comparison to the A4, imho.
A few clarifications:
- The A4 is several inches longer than the A5 (and has a far more useful back seat) but the A5 is a bit wider
- THe A5 is about 100 lb lighter than the A4 comparably equipped
- Both the A5 and A4 will have the 2.0T available for 2010

Also it's a bit subjective but from my own test drives the steering in the A5 is a bit heavier than the A4, although with Servotronic it's still pretty light.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scottacus
A few clarifications:
- The A4 is several inches longer than the A5 (and has a far more useful back seat) but the A5 is a bit wider
- THe A5 is about 100 lb lighter than the A4 comparably equipped
- Both the A5 and A4 will have the 2.0T available for 2010

Also it's a bit subjective but from my own test drives the steering in the A5 is a bit heavier than the A4, although with Servotronic it's still pretty light.
Yeah, I see that now, thanks. I pulled figures off Road and Track (or maybe Car and Driver, can't recall) and I think they had them mixed up. Or I mixed them up.

I just went to Audi's website and noticed the dimensions.

As somebody new to Audi (I don't have one yet) I've found all their cars to have a heavy steering feel (I want to add a wagon to my garage and am exploring an Avant vs a 328i wagon.) I have a RWD rear-engined Porsche and a RWD AMG, so maybe I should expect to notice that perhaps a bit more. But it feels odd to me. I'm not sure I like it(?) I'll need to rent one and drive it extensively before I make a decision.

I personally would choose an A5 or an A4 based solely on if I wanted a coupe or a 4-door sedan and not so much on how they might drive in relation to each other. But that's just me.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My S4 had stock suspension. The only small change was I fitted an RS4 rear ARB. Powerwise mine was pushing around 390bhp but I'm comparing stock with stock. My dealer actually agreed and said the power came on a lot more progressively and smoother compared with the B6 S4.

All of the automotive press worldwide has confirmed that stock for stock with the same suspensio then that the S5 is a bit faster, handles much better, is much more taut and much less soft than the B6 S4, making everything in this paragraph official.
Perhaps in the US but certainly not here in the UK. Oh and you're not really stupid enough to believe that because the press sas something then it's "official" are you? Where's your opinions or can you only repeat what others have said?

**** me fella !!! Have I touched a nerve or something? Do you have an issue with people disagreeing with your opinions.....or is it magazines opinions? I can't recall. You need to get down off your box, smoke a cuban and chill. Where are you getting all this crap about the config of the cars I must have driven or not driven? You've no idea. Perhaps you should simply read my post again.

To summarise : I wanted an A5, perhaps an S5. I found the S5 softer than my B6 S4. Whether you like it or not mate that's what I found so get over yourself. The A5 couldn't fit a read facing seat in so I started looking at A4's. That's it. I've not even suggested the handling comparison of a B8 S4 with a S5.

Errrrm "boring"? Who said boring? You're misquoting me as well now. Hell mate, you really have a chip on your shoulder if someone isn't 100% for A5's don't you! LoL

What I posted was my opinion. As such it stands and is representative of my thoughts. I've no issue with you disagreeing and posting you own opinions but get over yourself and quit with the "load of garbage" comments. Have a bit more respect for other members of this forum... some of whom have been on board even longer than yourself.

Originally Posted by Orangetree
I personally would choose an A5 or an A4 based solely on if I wanted a coupe or a 4-door sedan and not so much on how they might drive in relation to each other. But that's just me.
See that's the funny thing, I would have gone for an A5 if family requirements weren't there. Somehow though Audi S5 TC started throwing his toys out of his pram due to an opinion being posted.

p.s. For what it's worth I actually preferred the A5 suspension over the B6 S4. Saying it was softer was not a critism. It shows have Audi have come on over the last few years in making sporty handling cars that don't have to be rock solid. Perhaps if you step back and take a deep breath you might let what people have written speak for it's self rather than wading in with a rant about what you think I said.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure if all of the automotive press would agree with that statement. I found the A4 to be lighter than the A5 and the tale of the tape was about 3 inches shorter than an A4. It is not that a few pounds on a 3900 lb car is going to make much difference in the handling, but the shorter wheel base on the A5 (3.2 NA) and the lack of low end torque makes it feel like a heavy motorized sofa compared to the A4 2.0T.

In tests at Fontucky I found the A5 had less tautness than the A4. The body roll was less evident in the A4 when hitting the curves at all speeds. Both cars had the speed limiter on the motor electronics, so I did not push either car past 100 MPH. I also felt that the steering was heavier on the A5. The steering is so light on the A4 I thought something was wrong with the steering on my wagon driving home from the track.

I thought Scotty's impressions mirrored mine, and I am in concurrence with the opinion of Road & Track:

"So in most ways, the new A4 is a better car than the one it replaces. It's chock full of high technology, has an athletic new body and handles far better, truly upping its sporting quotient versus BMW's 3 Series." -Shaun Bailey

I feel any talk of garbage should be tagged for the landfill.

Quick Reply: A4 vs. A5 driving impressions