A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Adhesive for Fog Rings

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adhesive for Fog Rings

Hey Guys,

Just got some new chrome fog rings in the mail for a A5/S5...to be modified for my car. After cutting the clips off the back I found that the rings really don't have anything to sit on. I was thinking of trying to find some type of 3M tape that could help conform to the contours of the fog grill better to the rings - anyone have suggestions for an adhesive or other way to attach these on my fog grill? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markinarch
Hey Guys,
- anyone have suggestions for an adhesive or other way to attach these on my fog grill? Thanks.
Go see my profile pics @ AZ for my install results.

I used this and you really cant tell at all. Very permanent and I wash my car almost every week by hand...

http://tinyurl.com/3leksn5
Old 04-16-2011, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Silicones can be used for temporary fixing, but the adhesion to plastics is rather low without using surface damaging primers.

Two better choices are transfer tapes. 3M 468MP is my favorite for external attachment of emblems and mouldings. It is a clear material about .004" thick. It is sticky on both sides and could hold the bumper on a Buick. It is removable without damage to the surface.

Another choice is this 3M product:

Old 04-17-2011, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for the replies. i am going to check both products out at home depot and see which i think will be best.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Mark, 3M has a weatherproof adhesive (double-sided sticky) tape that is very strong. You might be able to cut that in small sections to suit your application. The stuff I've got is incredibly strong.

I think I found it at Autozone. Your local body shop supply store would be another source.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Mark, 3M has a weatherproof adhesive (double-sided sticky) tape that is very strong. You might be able to cut that in small sections to suit your application. The stuff I've got is incredibly strong.

I think I found it at Autozone. Your local body shop supply store would be another source.
I ended up getting a clear 3M tape. It says weatherproof and extra heavy duty. hopefully it'll work. I'll try it out later today and let ya know how it worked. I'll go over to autozone if this stuff isn't cooperating. thanks.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, the problem with the tape is it doesnt make 100% contact with the trim pice to the plate, hence why the black Silicon is superior. Don't beleive what the other guy sad about adhesion. That sounded like a real scientician there, throwing out useless factoids over the ether.

If you ever have tiled a backsplash or something, its the same. Use a cup of water and constantly wet your finger after you apply to seal all the way around. It makes a perfect seal (especially if you know how to caulk things, no different here). Now if you aren't very "handy", then maybe the tape is better for you.

Next time you're in Las Colinas, your welcome to come take a look at mine. Really, I've had this on for almost 2 yrs now and never a problem. Trust me, they are on for good.

You can do what you want to, but becareful of no-nothings on here spewing out useless nonsense who haven't attempted at least 1 mod in their life! ha.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cabal san,

Did you caulk the groove in the back first, place it and then caulk again around the inside and outside of the ring once it was in place? I am actually having a super hard time with this which is frustrating considering how easy this should be. I could tell almost immediately that the tape was not going to work. It seems like the chrome coating, being so smooth, has a hard time adhering to anything. I have a silicone caulk that I am testing out one of the clips I cut off, ill see how that goes.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

yeah, IIRC (it's been awhile) I dabbed it in a few spots to secure then worked my way around building it up. I'll try to get a shot of it here soon and post (not sure if you can here or not). A wet finger and a rag will be your friend.

Looking back, I did this mod in Oct of 2009. So maybe not yet 2 yrs on, but they def ain't going anywhere.

Also, make sure you are using the 3 hr ready blue tube Silicone II for windows & doors, not the red thats for baths... I got it at Home Depot for like $5.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Finally got these things installed. I've been busy the last couple months. Just used the silicon II caulk - but i used the one for bath as i could not find the door and window one - hopefully that won't make a difference. I liked how it turned out. After i got the fog covers off the car it went really fast. I think it finishes off the front end nicely. Now what to do next........

Oh, sorry for grainy pics. i took them using my tablet in bad lighting.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Adhesive for Fog Rings