A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Advice on buying....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, the dealer is not being easy with the numbers. First, the car I'm looking at is a demo. It has 2000 miles on it, and they are treating it like it's new. They hardly moved from the MSRP when they brought their first offer to the table. I need some advice. I walked out because they just aren't giving me a good deal, especially on a demo.

First, they told me the TMV pricing from Edmunds wasn't right and that they haven't sold any A4 Premium Plus cars for $33,788. He told me the $2500 that Audi is offering dealers can't be used with a lease. They are offering me a good amount on my trade-in, so this would be sign and drive. Then they tried to add my lease up to 42 months to get the payments lower, but I noticed that right away.

Currently, they are offering me 36,560 on a 2009 Premium Plus with 2000 miles. I find this ridiculous. They are ADVERTISING the car for $34,700 on their website!

Here are the factors so you guys can plug them in and see what you think.

47% or 48% with Audicare which I want.
MF is .00115
36 months.

If I paid $33,000 for the car, which I think is fair considering the TMV value, I'd have a payment around $487 without tax.

I have $2200 to play with my trade credit, and that just covers tax, first months, acq fee, and Title Tags etc. If they did this, we'd have a deal.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone? I want to get this done asap.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

We buyers are often opposed to "showing our cards," but were I in the dealer's spot, I'd offer you, er, "$1,000 off" of MSRP and see what happens.

I find that if you actually offer a "price" you are willing to pay, that the negotiation process actually works.

In my case, I specified a monthly payment on a 36 month, closed end lease for 16,666 miles per year (50k miles, that is.) Then we worked on the price of the car to get to that point. I had to go up on my mo pay, they had to come down on the MSRP (since they could not affect the residual or the money factor -- unless I wanted to play the multiple sec dep game.)

Until you make an offer that says "I will buy IF you. . . ." the dealer may not be inclined to do much more than stay close to the MSRP.

You can negotiate on some things as "part of the deal" -- chrome tips, audi care and perhaps even some things the dealer sells (tire and wheel warranty protection, etc.)

It seems, however, unless you are willing to buy at some price, the negotiation is difficult (because it is one sided.)

I also looked at the last moment at switching to a 2008 SLine and fully equipped A6 3.2 -- because there was an additional $5000 discount offered off of MSRP. In the end, the dealer came down in price enough to keep my payment "close enough for jazz" to where I wanted to be.

For a demo, the price does seem too high, FWIW.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Generally I would agree, but I see little difference in UNDER MSRP or UNDER INVOICE, as a practical matter -- if it were, for example, $5,000 under MSRP or $1,500 under invoice and the sell price was the same, who cares -- IF you are happy with the deal?

A friend of mine, NO MATTER WHAT, always claims he can get it for less -- and it doesn't matter what "it" is. His price will always beat everyone else's. It is an ego thing, perhaps. The point is, there will be someone who claims (or maybe really can) do better -- but, the deal, of course, will have been made on the last Sunday of the month on February 29th at 3:59PM when it is snowing like crazy and the sales manager is working that day and just wants to go home and gives you his best deal just to get the hell outta Dodge.

Don't agonize over this -- if you like the car, just know that somewhere, sometime, someone either got or will get a better deal than yours, so just enjoy your new car and don't worry about it. Think of all the people who got a worse deal than yours, if that will set your mind at ease.

I wanted a payment of $599.99, I accepted $640 -- but they started out at $700+ -- the car was Prestige with everything except metallic paint and ACC. Somewhere somebody did better, I'm sure -- life's too short to worry about the guy that actually got it for $599.99 (if that was even possible at that time --10/2008.)
Old 07-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RedlineSi
Anyone? I want to get this done asap.

Thanks!
As far as pricing is concerned, you can either take the money or take the rate. Meaning, the dealership has money from the manufacturer that cannot be used with a lease. So if you lease, the price is going to be higher. If you pay cash or go with outside financing, the price will be lower. If you took a lower interest rates through AFS, then the price would be higher. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've seen people on here and other sites paying invoice or lower on a NEW car. This car has 2,000 miles and they are near $2,000 over invoice. That is a slap in the face IMO. Plus it's a 2009 and I know dealers need these off the lot.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi folks, in process of buying a 2009 Ibis white Audi A4, quattro, auto, P+, 18in sport pakage, ash wood, exhust tip, wheel lock, and all weather mats for $33995. The MSRP is $40160. This is just the final car price with no Audi care or extended warranty. Is this a good price? I don't know how much you can get a discount off the MSRP, since the 2010 model is comming out next week. For 2009 A4's there is the marketing support of $2500 in my area. Should I buy it? or deal down lower?

I really appreciate you all's input

Thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Audilicious_B8
Hi folks, in process of buying a 2009 Ibis white Audi A4, quattro, auto, P+, 18in sport pakage, ash wood, exhust tip, wheel lock, and all weather mats for $33995. The MSRP is $40160. This is just the final car price with no Audi care or extended warranty. Is this a good price? I don't know how much you can get a discount off the MSRP, since the 2010 model is comming out next week. For 2009 A4's there is the marketing support of $2500 in my area. Should I buy it? or deal down lower?

I really appreciate you all's input

Thanks
Audilicious
I doubt they'll drop any lower than that. That's a $6000+ discount. That's every bit of marketing money and mark up in the car.

REDLINE: The demo thing is what's screwing you up. The miles on the car might make it difficult to use an outside leasing company where the incentive money could be applied.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

RedlineSi, I just put down a deposit on a Ibis White 2009 A4 2.0T quattro with Premium Plus and wood trim. The car was similar to yours with a little less then 3000 miles, but had been titled already making it "used" in my state (NJ), I managed to get them to $31,650. I know they are still making money on the car, but they wouldn't budge. Adding in the sport package, you should be able to get them down to $33k. I had to get a bit firm with the dealer, just remind them that NEW 2009s are being had for that price and 2010 are arriving at dealers and have been delivered to customers already.

One thing to be careful on are the lease numbers, they like to play around on that end too. So have your numbers straight before you go in and try to avoid putting down anything up front on a lease. The less you pay into the lease over the term, the better.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Alrighty, thank you folks. I was little concerned because this is the frist Audi car that I am buying. This site is the awesome!!!!

Quick Reply: Advice on buying....