A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Americans hate wagons - another Euro wagon gets the axe (Volvo V70)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Americans hate wagons - another Euro wagon gets the axe (Volvo V70)

Avant fans in this country should be glad that Audi still offers one version of the B8 Avant.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11003262...-get-axe-in-us

Last edited by Bada Bing; 03-26-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-26-2010, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep....its sad, there's been alot written about this on the swedespeed forum over the past 4 months. The biggest criticism was that they couldn't sell many V70's without all wheel drive, which was available on the previous platform. The V70 also didn't have the T6 engine which is much preferred over the in-line 6. So, while the car has great lines and is a nice size, the bottom line is it didn't sell in the U.S. My wife would never touch it, but I have to admit her XC70 T6 is one awesome car. Love that engine.

Hey, this is no different than Audi selling a TT in the U.S. without a manual transmission....doesn't make sense, but 6mt's don't sell, right? go figure?
Old 03-27-2010, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is too bad. I like the lines of the new BMW 5-series wagon too, but looks like that is DOA (for the U.S. market at least).

Old 03-27-2010, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

love that 5 series wagon, its a beauty. We've had like 5 Volvo wagons so far, put about 100k miles on each then sell them privately. Three of them have been xc70's. The newest model is by far the best.

We've never liked the SUV's, guess we just didn't get it. Couldn't understand why anyone would get something with similar storage in back that rides alot poorer. Only reason is for a female driver to feel safer by sitting up higher.

The Audi wagons don't make sense to me either. They're too aerodynamic in the rear, which cuts down on the utility of the wagon. For instance, we measured that we couldn't get our trash can in either the A4 or A6 wagons. But, it fits perfectly in the Volvo....so, we get the Volvo for utiliy, we get the Audi for fun.....
Old 03-27-2010, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

They day I'll cry is when they stop bringing in the cars with manual transmissions.. it's sad to lose a wagon but between the auto avant and manual sedan (B8), I opted for the sedan even though I much prefers wagons.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

I had a '98 V70 AWD wagon. I loved the car, except for when it was in the shop... which was ALWAYS.

--Phil
Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mart242
They day I'll cry is when they stop bringing in the cars with manual transmissions.. it's sad to lose a wagon but between the auto avant and manual sedan (B8), I opted for the sedan even though I much prefers wagons.
Same here. I very much wanted an A4 Avant, but could not bring myself to go with the automatic. Ultimately decided to go with a Jetta TDI wagon with a stick, which while a perfectly servicable car, is a pale imitation of an A4 Avant. Sometimes when I'm angry, I'll call Audi customer service to complain about it. I'm sure they have me on a crank caller list by now

If Audi had the good grace to offer the A4 Avant with a stick for the 2011 MY, then my local Audi dealer would have a nice Jetta TDI wagon on the used lot about 3 hours later.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sundowner
Same here. I very much wanted an A4 Avant, but could not bring myself to go with the automatic. Ultimately decided to go with a Jetta TDI wagon with a stick, which while a perfectly servicable car, is a pale imitation of an A4 Avant.
I almost opted for the passat wagon but coming from 2 subarus, I simply couldn't go with a FWD car.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It seems that traditional manuals are slowly going the way of the dodo. Many new high-performance sports cars are forgoing the clutch pedal and stick in favor of paddle shifters.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ItsDubC
It seems that traditional manuals are slowly going the way of the dodo. Many new high-performance sports cars are forgoing the clutch pedal and stick in favor of paddle shifters.
This is true with wagons too! The Jetta SportWagen does not have a manual transmission available in higher end SE model. Only the base S model and the TDI have manual transmissions.

VW Passat Wagon - No manual transmission available in any trim level.

Audi A4 Avant - No manual transmission available in any trim level.

Volvo - It's been several years since a manual was offered.

BMW - While technically manual transmissions are available, they are extremely rare.

Quick Reply: Americans hate wagons - another Euro wagon gets the axe (Volvo V70)