A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-09-2016, 12:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Annoying front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar "thunck" sound. My front swaybar link bolt had backed off some. When the car is raised its hard to tell it felt tight. With it on the ground if I reached in from the front, I could yank on the link and feel it move.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm done for now

The service manager told me that they removed the sway bar and bushings from the car and the noise persisted. Obviously they put them back afterwards. They indicate that they have done everything they can and even had the regional service manager returned to take another look which yielded no further insights. I was advised to lodge a formal "case" with Audi USA which I did by calling and speaking to someone there who created a case which will be investigated. The regional service manager did the same, so possibly something will come of this down the road.

The most likely theory is that it is the struts on the sports package cars are inherently defective, and that replacing them with new, but still inherently defective struts, obviously doesn't help. The reason this is the theory is that, on a hunch, the shop foreman at my local dealer, swapped out my sports suspension struts with the ones that come on a standard a4 and drove the car around and the NOISE WENT AWAY! However, he told me that they can't leave those struts in my car because that's not the factory specs. That's why I was advised by the service manager to lodge a formal complaint to Audi about this problem, which will result in further investigation. Until then, I have an awesome 2011 A4 with all the bells and whistles...but unfortunately a rattle at low speeds as well!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

FYI...my noise happens whether the car is hot or cold. I haven't noticed a difference. It happens the second I back out of my driveway when the car has been on for only 10 seconds and it happens pulling into a parking lot after driving 50 miles.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wlaudi
FYI...my noise happens whether the car is hot or cold. I haven't noticed a difference. It happens the second I back out of my driveway when the car has been on for only 10 seconds and it happens pulling into a parking lot after driving 50 miles.
Exactly the same with me, guessing it probably is the faulty sport pack dampers.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

I'll call and file a complaint with them. Who knows, maybe a year or two from now they'll be able to repair our cars and get rid of the noise.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Please contact AoA on this matter:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...6#post24312576
Old 06-15-2012, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard a brake noise on my 2012 A4 s-line that went away after a few miles of city driving. It sounded like brake wear sensors in the front. I made a service appointment and then cancelled it.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Brand new A4 with clunking and creaking suspension

Hi guys, I have a 2013 A4 avant Black Edition 2.0tdi 177 which has developed what appears to be an apparent common problem, that being a creaking drivers front end and a intermittent clunk when driving up or down my driveway or driving over uneven road surfaces. The problem appears to be getting worse so have booked my A4 in with my audi dealer to clarify my concerns. My car has only covered 700 miles so I hope this is not going to be a lengthy and stressful process with my Audi dealer.
Have any of you guys in US A4 Avants or saloons experienced the same creaking suspension on new cars?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Two years later and there's no solution I'm aware of, GBQ. My car didn't start doing it 'til I hit about 5k miles. The noise isn't so bad during the winter months, but it'll come back in a big way once the weather warms up
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your reply uberwgn. I wish I was made aware of this apparent suspension "defect" before I parted with my £36000!!
You say it gets worse in the warmer months?....here in the UK the winter weather has extended into summertime and my 700 mile "new" Audi is clonking and squeaking quite badly, I sincerely dread the weather warming up if it is going to make the situation worse!! Audi UK had better be ready tomorrow when my car is returned to the selling dealer, especially given that they are aware of the issue and still continue to sell defective motor cars!

Quick Reply: Annoying front end noise