A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-09-2016, 12:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Annoying front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Sorry, mate. I wish I could offer some encouragement.

There's another thread or two going here that have outlined what some of the dealers have attempted to get this sorted. I am unaware that the problem has yet to be identified. Perhaps you can share any info you come up with on your side of the pond.

Cheers!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No such front end noise ...

in my non-sport pkg 2012 A4 quattro ... current mileage 14,000 miles ... 11 months.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn

There's another thread or two going here that have outlined what some of the dealers have attempted to get this sorted. I am unaware that the problem has yet to be identified. Perhaps you can share any info you come up with on your side of the pond.

Cheers!
Yes uberwgn I have browsed those threads and many others. All pretty much confirming that the problem still exsists
I will update you on the response from my Audi dealer, but one issue is clear in my mind and that is (a) I cannot and will not put up with this front end noise on a vehicle that is 5 weeks old! (b) Accept my "new" A4 being used as a research and development car by Audi at my expense. My real concern is for long term ownership! If the problem exsists now what does the future ownership experience hold?
This is my 3rd Audi since 2008 and I have nothing but praise for the previous 2. However, this experience so early in the ownership cycle is most worrying.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bigdadi
in my non-sport pkg 2012 A4 quattro ... current mileage 14,000 miles ... 11 months.
I hope your situation is something else. We generally believe that this issue is restricted to Sport Pkg cars only...
Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Perhaps you can share any info you come up with on your side of the pond.

Cheers!
Well as promised I have some good news on the front end knocking noise on my 2013 A4 Avant. My local Audi dealer has had my car in the workshop for 2 days trying to eliminate the front end knocking noise. After 1 day in the workshop they returned my car to say the problem was 2 heat shields at the front of the car that were clashing with each other....but the problem was still aparent. The dealer then decided to set up some listening probes on the car to identify the root cause and hey bingo they found it!

The problem lies believe it or not in a new design of bonnet adjuster for 2013 cars that has been manufactured from a plastic polymer as opposed to the rubber type. The noise although coming from the hard plastic stoppers at the front of the car, they gave the indication through ressonance that it was emanating from lower down within the suspension area. To prevent the knock the dealer has fixed a piece of felt padding on top and either side of the front end module carrier where the bonnet stoppers rest when the bonnet is closed. This felt basically is isolating the stoppers from knocking on top of the carrier.

An annoying noise with a simple but effective remedy and knock free result. Am I mightily glad that it was nothing major!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GBQ7

The problem lies believe it or not in a new design of bonnet adjuster for 2013 cars that has been manufactured from a plastic polymer as opposed to the rubber type. The noise although coming from the hard plastic stoppers at the front of the car, they gave the indication through ressonance that it was emanating from lower down within the suspension area. To prevent the knock the dealer has fixed a piece of felt padding on top and either side of the front end module carrier where the bonnet stoppers rest when the bonnet is closed. This felt basically is isolating the stoppers from knocking on top of the carrier.

An annoying noise with a simple but effective remedy and knock free result. Am I mightily glad that it was nothing major!
I'm not sure how this helps owners of older cars, but I'm going to drive up and down the driveway with my hood open and see what happens The noise is severe on my car as I descend my drive.

The weather has really warmed up this past week and the noise is back and worse than ever.

Clever fix on the part of your main dealer ! Thanks for reporting back.

Last edited by uberwgn; 04-10-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not sure how this helps owners of older cars, but I'm going to drive up and down the driveway with my hood open and see what happens The noise is severe on my car as I descend my drive.

The weather has really warmed up this past week and the noise is back and worse than ever.

Clever fix on the part of your main dealer ! Thanks for reporting back.
The fix by my Audi dealer although successful was not what I considered a robust solution or to use one of a better word a "neat" job! So to meet the standard that is in fitting with the Audi brand I have removed the felt and fixed some "3M" self adhesive rubber bump stops to the original bonnet stops. These 3M items look aesthetically pleasing, will never need replacing but better still are unnoticeable!......can now get on with enjoying driving my Audi!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's good news and glad it's sorted.

I just got back from driving my car with the hood propped up 4" and my noise is unrelated and unchanged.

I did notice the plastic cover that hides the snow screen was very loose - - the four TORX bolts were not even finger tight. Very curious. So I cleaned the snow screen and tightened everything back up. I also made minor tweaks to the bonnet bumpers to see if that somehow affects my noise.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I found this on youtube:

It's a creaking SAAB. Now it would be an exaggeration to say my car was this loud, but my noise is very similar to his noise when he reverses over the speed bump on his 2nd pass.

My noise sounds like a car with a tired, worn-out suspension with all the creaking and groaning.

I don't know how loud the noise is from outside. I guess I can investigate that.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found this on youtube: http://youtu.be/eYQVG7mS1Pk

It's a creaking SAAB. Now it would be an exaggeration to say my car was this loud, but my noise is very similar to his noise when he reverses over the speed bump on his 2nd pass.

My noise sounds like a car with a tired, worn-out suspension with all the creaking and groaning.

I don't know how loud the noise is from outside. I guess I can investigate that.
The "knocking" noise experienced on my 2013 A4 strangely could not be heard outside of the car. However, there is a constant creak which can be heard on the O/S front at 5-10mph when turning the steering. The A4 loaner I recently drove had the same problem but the N/S front was affected!!

The master technician who accompanied me on a test drive in my own car confirmed that the noise is emanating from the steering rack rubber gaiters which like the bonnet stops are manufactured from a more resilient rubber compound which when compressed during turning the steering creates the creaking noise!

The noise you are experiencing can only be attributable to any of the many suspension bushes that make up the A4 suspension. I sincerely hope you can find a fix

Quick Reply: Annoying front end noise