A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-12-2016, 09:23 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Specifications & General Maintenace
Print Wikipost

Any known, widespread problems with the B8 that we know of?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:40 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rowhome88
Mr rear door seals are falling off. Anyone else have this problem?
Common on early models. There is a TSB on that. There is a different glue that they use now.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine is a 2011 Avant S-Line. Either I don't have the new adhesive or this is still a problem.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

- Excessive oil consumption with the 2.0T engine;
- Carbon buildup with the now discontinued 3.2L engine;
- Water pump failure with 3.0T engine (it seems no matter which engine you chose, you get f*cked one way or the other, eh?);
- Tiptrnoc control module (TCU) issues (both 6-speed and 8-speed)
- control arms issues on the early model causing vibration at highway speeds
Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
- Excessive oil consumption with the 2.0T engine;
- Carbon buildup with the now discontinued 3.2L engine;
- Water pump failure with 3.0T engine (it seems no matter which engine you chose, you get f*cked one way or the other, eh?);
- Tiptrnoc control module (TCU) issues (both 6-speed and 8-speed)
- control arms issues on the early model causing vibration at highway speeds
Hey, its either this or Honda Civic, lol.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rowhome88
Mr rear door seals are falling off. Anyone else have this problem?
My door seals fell off

The dealer put them back on with new sealer for good. Big deal.

Gee, there's a reason to go look at another car brand. I'm sure you will find perfection elsewhere
Old 10-18-2011, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious how many of you have owned a 3 series before? Curious how it compares:

My wife has the 1 series convertible. While a blast to drive with the top down, throaty inline 6, tons of grip and always fun RWD, as soon as you put the top up it's the loudest, thumpy-est car I've ever driven. As if there's zero sound insulation between you and the suspension. The run flats add an extra dimension of noise as well. Plus you get extra creeks and rattles from the interior from cowl shake.

Then I get into my A4 and it's like driving in a cloud. Based on the 1 series, we'd never consider buying a higher model BMW.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nostromo
I'm curious how many of you have owned a 3 series before? Curious how it compares:

My wife has the 1 series convertible. While a blast to drive with the top down, throaty inline 6, tons of grip and always fun RWD, as soon as you put the top up it's the loudest, thumpy-est car I've ever driven. As if there's zero sound insulation between you and the suspension. The run flats add an extra dimension of noise as well. Plus you get extra creeks and rattles from the interior from cowl shake.

Then I get into my A4 and it's like driving in a cloud. Based on the 1 series, we'd never consider buying a higher model BMW.

Just came out of a 2008 3-series (I had bought it new) and now into a 2012 A4 P+, Sport, 6 MT, B&0, MMI, Advanced Key, Wood trim, etc.

BMW Superior On:
Handling, Sport Seats, Engine, Steering Wheel Controls

Audi Superior On:
Ride quality, Audio System, Interior Design and Finish, Exterior Looks, Tires, MMI, etc. etc.

I would own the perfect car if I could put my 3-Series Sports seats into the A4. I would be in heaven. The handling on the A4 is good, plenty for my needs, but the A4 does not try to be a BMW - which is a big part of why I bought the A4. Yes, the BMW is s better handling car (stock), but you pay for it when it beats the crap out of you and those damn run-flat tires. I never had any rattles in the 3-series, so cannot relate to that for you.

My only complaint on the A4 so far is how quiet it actually is. I have driven a MT for 35 years and always drove by feel and sound. If I did that in the Audi I would never make it out of second gear
Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nostromo
I'm curious how many of you have owned a 3 series before? Curious how it compares
Not sure you can compare a 1 series cab with a 3-series sedan or coupe. My dad has a '09 335i with the twin turbo N54 engine. The car drives very well: amazing power, comfortable without being soft, great steering, feels very agile. Reliability-wise, nothing to write home about (in two years, he had the HPFP replaced twice...the second time, the injectors had to be replaced too).
Old 07-05-2012, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Saw you posted about problems with check valve screen in camshaft area...mine "failed" and caused major upper engine damage: need new head, timing chain and adjuster.Six months and just 10,000 miles ago they did the cylinder replacement and took the head off.....any connection?

thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jesskidog
Saw you posted about problems with check valve screen in camshaft area...mine "failed" and caused major upper engine damage: need new head, timing chain and adjuster.Six months and just 10,000 miles ago they did the cylinder replacement and took the head off.....any connection?

thanks
No. Totally separate issues. Though your dealer should have proactively replaced it if your car fell within the TSB range for the fix.

Quick Reply: Any known, widespread problems with the B8 that we know of?