A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Anybody else's silver letters flaking off on the Engine Start/Stop button?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody else's silver letters flaking off on the Engine Start/Stop button?

The two N's in "ENGINE" are looking pretty rough, and I don't have long fingernails or anything to catch the corners of the letters! Have dealers been replacing this button under warranty, or is this part of the "12 months" trim warranty?
Old 06-04-2011, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read a few ppl on here and the 'Zine having this issue.
Most have had no problem having them replaced - one owner said the dealer started carrying the part after he took his in.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone know if there are different types of buttons available? I can't figure out how mine could be like you describe it. I have a 2010 A4 Prestige with the smart-key.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

ok, now I understand. Just to be on the safe side, I decided to protect the button with an invisible shield for camera displays etc. Before I added the shield, I cleaned the button with a microfiber cloth, and noticed that the edges of the button easily sticks to the fibers. Well, now the shield is there, perfectly protecting the button.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed some of the used Audis I have seen on the lot have issues with the silver/metallic inlay around the shifter. Appeared to have bubbles. Possibly the adhesive is susceptible to aggressive cleaners or could be from spills and water soluble glue. From what I gather, Audi hasn't had a very good record with the new "eco" adhesives they are using. To be safe I sparingly wipe with a damp cloth to wipe the console.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

yea, both of my N's and the E have been chipped off. Pisses me off.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hankoman
ok, now I understand. Just to be on the safe side, I decided to protect the button with an invisible shield for camera displays etc. Before I added the shield, I cleaned the button with a microfiber cloth, and noticed that the edges of the button easily sticks to the fibers. Well, now the shield is there, perfectly protecting the button.
Thanks for that tip...
Old 06-05-2011, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hankoman
Before I added the shield, I cleaned the button with a microfiber cloth, and noticed that the edges of the button easily sticks to the fibers
Yes, I wonder if that is the cause (and not long finger nails)!? Just a wipe of a towel while dusting could catch the corner of a letter and make it start peeling. Seems like a design defect if it's that sensitive/fragile.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
Yes, I wonder if that is the cause (and not long finger nails)!? Just a wipe of a towel while dusting could catch the corner of a letter and make it start peeling. Seems like a design defect if it's that sensitive/fragile.
The fabric of my track gloves lifted an 'N' edge two weeks after I got the car. Before I got in to the dealer, I managed to cut my finger on the other 'N' when I went to start the car. Dealer replaced it no questions twice over the past 2 years.

It seems like a trivial little thing but be careful, once those edges come up, they are very sharp. I like the idea of covering the button with a protective film. Audi engineers dropped the ball on the design of the switch cover imo. I'm on my third switch and it has already lost the N's as I peeled them off as soon as they lifted. Getting cut once was enough.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Today I noticed that the triangular piece in the letter 'A' in the word "START" has also come off. I can't believe that someone at Audi didn't think to cover the switch better... I'll definitely be trying some of that screen protector film or clear bra material on my next switch.

Quick Reply: Anybody else's silver letters flaking off on the Engine Start/Stop button?