A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

APR/Cabonio airbox install

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR/Cabonio airbox install

I just finished installing my new APR/Carbonio airbox. My car already has a APR Stage 1 tune so I figured this would work well together. My first impression out of the box was the finish looked nice and it's light weight. It came with a detailed set of directions which were easy to follow. The install only took me about 45min which was less then I expected and required very few tools. I'd recommend taking the rubber gasket from where the MAF sensor connects to the airbox lid, I don't think the directions mention this. Seeing as this only replaces the lid on the stock airbox, I expected the fit to be a little tighter to bottom of the stock box. I think they need a few more bolts. Not that it's bad, but it could be tighter.

When I bought this, I figured the gains wouldn't be very noticable seeing as I'm using a K&N already with my stock airbox. I'm happy to say the gains are very noticable, especially in the mid-range. You can hear the intake wind up if you really listen for it at WOT, otherwise it's silent more or less (which I think is a good thing). Over all, I'm happy with my purchase and would recommend it to others.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NickZag
I just finished installing my new APR/Carbonio airbox. My Over all, I'm happy with my purchase and would recommend it to others.
Good to hear. I'm thinking of picking one up myself. I just helped my roommate install a cold air intake on his G35 Coupe yesterday and the gains and sound were pretty awesome so now I want something for my A4. Also looking into the K&N Typhoon bc its a little cheaper - but doesn't look nearly as good as carbon fibre. What parts of the warranty do you think this would invalidate? MAF?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markinarch
Good to hear. I'm thinking of picking one up myself. I just helped my roommate install a cold air intake on his G35 Coupe yesterday and the gains and sound were pretty awesome so now I want something for my A4. Also looking into the K&N Typhoon bc its a little cheaper - but doesn't look nearly as good as carbon fibre. What parts of the warranty do you think this would invalidate? MAF?
Maybe the MAF, otherwise I can't see it hurting anything else. I heard if you over oil any fabric style filter that it will through codes for the MAF. There are some mixed reviews on this at audizine, but I'm to hear many positives about the K&N unit.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been researching both units and I am a little worried that some people have complained about a whistle in the K&N system around 3000 rpm. I'll see if I can find any more info on this in the forums. Don't want to get an intake and then can't stand the sound. They should let you try the systems out for a little bit so you can figure out if you like it or not...same with ECU flashes. Anywho, back to research and Youtube clips.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markinarch
I've been researching both units and I am a little worried that some people have complained about a whistle in the K&N system around 3000 rpm. I'll see if I can find any more info on this in the forums. Don't want to get an intake and then can't stand the sound. They should let you try the systems out for a little bit so you can figure out if you like it or not...same with ECU flashes. Anywho, back to research and Youtube clips.
I wouldn't recommend the K&N, I've heard several complaints about the sound. Like I said, I'm yet to hear a single positive review on it. There was another B8 the last time I was at Infineon and the owner let me check out his K&N, which he said was too loud and he hated it. There is no way that cheap heat shield blocks any hot air.

I would wait a few months for APR/Carbonio to fix a few of the issues with they're product. I would rate mine a 7/10.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 551 Likes on 371 Posts

What type of filter does this system use?
Old 12-11-2010, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
What type of filter does this system use?
A K&N Semi-Cone style.