A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi=Volkswagen

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Gee funny, four days have passed, four pages and 40 posts later and not a peep from the OP on "Are Audis glorified VW's" . It has led to some interesting discussions that he may be missing out on.
It takes an outrageous statement to start a discussion that is worth following. Apart from that, this forum has been pretty boring this year - we said and repeated what was there to say about the control arms, the oil consumption, the APR tune, the Conti DWS tires, a couple of retrofits, promoted the sport package better than any Audi dealer. What else did we talk about... yes, the 2012 changes - JonDeutsch ordered the coveted keyless entry after all!

Not many memorable discussions like the one where the OP said that most Audis were leased because they were unreliable or the one about how many more elephants you could cram into a GTI, or the one about how good the RWD Bimmer is in the snow (with winter tires)...
Old 06-06-2011, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
No doubt. Many are of ashamed of the amount of stripping they've had to do to get the car to hit that "Corolla" pricepoint.

Did you notice they've returned to rear drum brakes on most models? That's shameful and would INSTANTLY eliminate the car from contention should I be shopping for something in that price range....[mumbling to self] How many cars in the USA are fitted with drum brakes ? ....[/mumbling to self]
You ever own a Jetta? We've had a few and the rear discs are certainly a weak spot on them. Drums will last longer!! And cost less to service. Important for people looking for cars in that price range.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There isn't a single VW on the same platform as the A4.

With the exception of the Touareg, all VW models are on transverse platforms, which is completely different from the modular longitudinal platform of the A4. The 2.0T engine in the A4 is also distinct from the ones used in transverse platform applications. Transmissions are completely different as well.

The only Audi sold in America which is truly on a VW platform is the A3. The TT also rides on a highly-modified version of that platform, but the extensive use of aluminum essentially render it a unique architecture for that model.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Carl E
Wonder why some people even care to make the comment...I dare bet that each time an A4 passes by, the Passat owner looks long and hard after it and have a tiny feeling of desire and not quite beeing 100% satisfied with his car, hence the reason to start to rationalize the choice with comments of this kind..Each to his own..

..Our Passat Wagon is the perfect 2nd car, functional and all, but it lacks the solid and satisfying feeling of the A4.
I do justttt that (Jetta S) ^_^......that's why i'm here scouting for my 1st audi.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you sit inside a passat and an A4, they are nothing alike. The MMI dash and layout are totally different.

Only Audi has the 211hp / 258 torque motor. The V dubs are still 200 / 207.

VW has taken a step back with the current Jetta and Passat. Maybe VW did that on purpose. They cetainly cheapened the cars and they are going after a differnt market.

The CC is a very nice car and I can see a quality difference with materials vs some of the other v dubs. The GTI is a very nice car for the money as well.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
VW has taken a step back with the current Jetta and Passat. Maybe VW did that on purpose....
They did a complete reversal of strategy. They pushed upmarket with the B5/5.5 Passat and did very well. But then they got greedy: (1) The Phaeton was a complete flop in the U.S. (2) they eliminated the best selling lower trim Passats until the point of entry got to $28K. They basically shot themselves in the foot.

The B5 was such a success because it was a niche option between the Camcords and BMW/Audis. When the entry point of the Passat got too close to the latter, the car lost its appeal.

Now they are pushing in the other direction for the U.S. market. They are going downmarket, more so with the Jetta than the Passat. Of course, they could have instead just brought back the lower trim levels of the nicer European versions of these cars.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

For what it's worth, I drove the Q7 TDI, Touareg TDI and the Porsch Cayenne and if I did not know they were built on the same platform I would not have guessed. The handling and driving experience are totally unlike each other.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cmhohioman
I just bought a new 2011 Audi A4 (8-speed transmission) and a gentleman I know stated that Audi's were just glorified Volkswagens....Is this true? Same parts....
I've read some nonsense in my day but to make a statement that Audi are just glorified Volkswagens is BS over the highest order. No car in the VW lineup has it's engine mounted the same way as your A4 and before someone says I mean cars not SUVs.

Yes the A3 and Golf share lots in common as does the A1 and Polo but the rest of the Audi lineup is unique with nothing to do with VW in anyway and even the A1 and A3 both drive and feel different to the equivalent VW. His statement is jealousy, nothing more and nothing less. I bet he drove either a BMW or a Merc.

P.S.
If you need convincing then go drive the Passat and see for yourself if your car is just a glorified Passat.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cmhohioman
I just bought a new 2011 Audi A4 (8-speed transmission) and a gentleman I know stated that Audi's were just glorified Volkswagens....Is this true? Same parts....
It's absolutely true. you should sell your car immediately before you embarrass yourself being seen driving it.