A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi A4 2010 Stutters while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 2010 Stutters while accelerating

I have an Audi A4 2010 around 70k miles and its recently been having some issues while accelerating. Almost every time when i try to accelerate fairly quickly the car starts to misfire/stutter around 3,000 RPMS and if i were to slowly accelerate it doesn't misfire/stutter. Sometimes the check Engine light would come on and get a P0341 code (Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range / Performance Bank 1 or Single Sensor) i changed both the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor and still has the same problem. I have no idea what else to do. Also driving at low RPMS i would get a EPC light and the car would stutter slowly but if i give it a little gas the car would go back to normal. The check Engine would also go away after a day of driving.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is that the only code you get when you run diagnostics? Could be timing related, might be a little early for it to go out on you, but is a possibility. Unfortunately it's not easy to check without going into service mode.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dr Awesome
Is that the only code you get when you run diagnostics? Could be timing related, might be a little early for it to go out on you, but is a possibility. Unfortunately it's not easy to check without going into service mode.
Yes sir, thats the only code and wouldn't it be a constant sound if it were timing related? I was thinking maybe it has something to do with the coil packs but i have no idea to be honest..
Old 09-03-2017, 06:35 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I chased a similar stutter for months. At first I though it was an engine mount vibration, since no codes were set and it only occurred during certain engine load conditions. It gradually worsened until I finally had a code set for a random misfire on cylinder 2. I changed plugs and coil packs but it continued. The code would only return occasionally, even with quite bad misfires. It was always on cylinder 2. Replacing that injector solved it.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jfo
I chased a similar stutter for months. At first I though it was an engine mount vibration, since no codes were set and it only occurred during certain engine load conditions. It gradually worsened until I finally had a code set for a random misfire on cylinder 2. I changed plugs and coil packs but it continued. The code would only return occasionally, even with quite bad misfires. It was always on cylinder 2. Replacing that injector solved it.
Did you change them yourself? I'll give it a shot today and try to see if it's a bad injector because a month ago i had the same problem, misfire in cylinder 2 and changed the coil and spark plug and the code went away but the problem still consisted.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by quakers
Did you change them yourself? I'll give it a shot today and try to see if it's a bad injector because a month ago i had the same problem, misfire in cylinder 2 and changed the coil and spark plug and the code went away but the problem still consisted.
Sorry, it was misfire in cylinder 4 not 2
Old 09-05-2017, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If it happens when you're washing the car, it seems as though a substantial amount of water is leaking in if they are soaked just from a wash. Could you have someone spray water on the car while you're sitting inside and see if your able to track down the leak. Maybe even pouring a bucket of water, rather than a hose, to keep it a little quieter so maybe you'd be able to hear something. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE ON MY SITUATION: Today i was driving back home and i gave it some gas and the car started stuttering like it usually does, but this time the check engine light started flashing, i think it flashed 10 times, and then i gave it some more gas and the check engine light flashed again and stayed on this time. I got home to check on the codes and i got 7 codes. P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor one, P0300 Random / Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected, P0300, C342D Manufacturer Control, P0300, P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected, P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected. Tomorrow i'm going to take out all the coils and spark plugs and see what's wrong with them and i also recently changed all the spark plugs so i don't think they're bad.. unless they're dirty with oil.. but we'll see. And i also want to make sure it's something like injectors or something else because it looks like it's going to take some work to take out the injectors and change them.

If anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-08-2017, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,714 Posts

Since you're pulling the plugs and coils, if they don't look bad and you put them back, put them back in different orders. Move the plugs to +1 and the coils to -1 and see if the problem moves from cyl 2 to cyl 1 (which would now have the coil from 2 and the plug from 4) or to cyl 3 (which would now have the coil from 4 and the plug from 2). Could even be an issue with the harness, if the issue stays on 2 (or maybe an internal issue or valves or injector on 2).

The injectors are simple enough, but getting to them blows since the intake manifold has to come off. Tedious process; you'll need a triple square bit (forget if it was M8, M10, or M12). You don't need the special tool to pull the injectors if they are stuck. Just lay some kind of bar across the manifold gasket area so you don't harm the surface (I used the audi interior trim prybar tool 80-200) and use the right angle screwdriver (vas6543 or something like this) and they pop right out. I just happened to have the tools already from replacing my sunroof. A typical angled screwdriver has the flat in line with the handle, so it doesn't work as a prybar like the vas6543.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...b6-s4-2797956/ talks about similar problem exhibits resulting from timing chain tensioner problems. Our engines You have had the camshaft chain tensioner on that car updated to the K rev? Though I never had to look into that problem. Mine didn't fail before being replaced during the oil consumption work at 84k. Maybe if it comes apart as the original is known to do eventually, your car wouldn't even run.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,714 Posts

Also, since your mileage is still low:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...s-aoa-2852802/

edit:
Curious. The NHTSA document refers only to engine codes CBFA & CCTA (believe this is the transverse one in the A3 and TT)
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...56162-3802.pdf

Last edited by SMac770; 09-08-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Audi A4 2010 Stutters while accelerating