A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi A4 2010 Stutters while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully its injectors, but if it is timing (random misfires code alludes to that) and you are driving it the result will probably be a blown engine and a hefty 5-10k repair (or an opportunity to put a B8.5 engine in). I would be hesitant to drive it at all until I tried something to fix it and if it came back I'd get it home quickly!
Old 09-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
Since you're pulling the plugs and coils, if they don't look bad and you put them back, put them back in different orders. Move the plugs to +1 and the coils to -1 and see if the problem moves from cyl 2 to cyl 1 (which would now have the coil from 2 and the plug from 4) or to cyl 3 (which would now have the coil from 4 and the plug from 2). Could even be an issue with the harness, if the issue stays on 2 (or maybe an internal issue or valves or injector on 2).

The injectors are simple enough, but getting to them blows since the intake manifold has to come off. Tedious process; you'll need a triple square bit (forget if it was M8, M10, or M12). You don't need the special tool to pull the injectors if they are stuck. Just lay some kind of bar across the manifold gasket area so you don't harm the surface (I used the audi interior trim prybar tool 80-200) and use the right angle screwdriver (vas6543 or something like this) and they pop right out. I just happened to have the tools already from replacing my sunroof. A typical angled screwdriver has the flat in line with the handle, so it doesn't work as a prybar like the vas6543.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...b6-s4-2797956/ talks about similar problem exhibits resulting from timing chain tensioner problems. Our engines You have had the camshaft chain tensioner on that car updated to the K rev? Though I never had to look into that problem. Mine didn't fail before being replaced during the oil consumption work at 84k. Maybe if it comes apart as the original is known to do eventually, your car wouldn't even run.
Just changed the position of the coils and spark plugs and will take it for a drive later today. When i took out the spark plugs i noticed that they had a lot of oil build up and i was wondering if the problem could be a bad valve cover gasket and causes for a small leak?
Old 09-10-2017, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,748 Posts

No idea. I don't work on the engines as a job, so it's guesswork beyond the specific issues I've had to correct on my engine.
But if your oil separator was having an issue, I wonder if it could be sending excess oil into the intake manifold and then on into the cylinders to get on the plugs? I would think that would all burn up though.
So many parts and pieces; it's a crapshoot, I think even for the Audi pro techs.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think I read that oil on the coilpacks could mean a PCV failure, there are easy ways to check that. If you pull the oil cap with it running and there is excessive vacuum and the engine wants to die, that could be part of it. I had a vacuum tube connected to the PCV disconnect and my car started sputtering.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Hello (:

Originally Posted by jfo
I chased a similar stutter for months. At first I though it was an engine mount vibration, since no codes were set and it only occurred during certain engine load conditions. It gradually worsened until I finally had a code set for a random misfire on cylinder 2. I changed plugs and coil packs but it continued. The code would only return occasionally, even with quite bad misfires. It was always on cylinder 2. Replacing that injector solved it.

was this fixed permanently? I have code p0300 and. P0302 it stutters while trying to go over 20mph please help me .. runs better on sport mode tho. How did you know it was injector ? You only replaced one?
Old 12-27-2021, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Mines sputters at 20 mph ? Is pcv ? P0300 p0302

Originally Posted by Dr Awesome
I think I read that oil on the coilpacks could mean a PCV failure, there are easy ways to check that. If you pull the oil cap with it running and there is excessive vacuum and the engine wants to die, that could be part of it. I had a vacuum tube connected to the PCV disconnect and my car started sputtering.
my car sputters at 20 mph and then runs good after .. has code p0300 and p0302 help pls
Old 12-28-2021, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Yeyo909
my car sputters at 20 mph and then runs good after .. has code p0300 and p0302 help pls
P0300 means multiple cylinder misfires, P0302 means cylinder 2 is misfiring. Are you sure those are the only 2 codes? The other person knew it was only one cylinder because their code was only for cylinder 2. Yours could be the same, but P0300 makes it seem like you're having some other cylinders misfire as well. My recommendation would be to start out running some fuel injector cleaner through it. Put a bottle of injector cleaner before you fill up for the next several tanks. I was getting multiple cold start misfires and started doing this and it had helped, no more misfires in over 6 months. If that works, I recommend running some through every once in a while. If it doesn't help, then you may need to look in to fuel injector replacement or maybe just a good carbon cleaning of the intake valves as well as the injectors.