A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi A4 B8 (2010) Avant Wagon Suspension info please

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 B8 (2010) Avant Wagon Suspension info please

Hello

New comer to the forum and from few weeks owner of A4 2010 Avant Wagon AWD. A-T 2.0 TFSI .
Need an info on chocks.
About to purchase set of front and rear shocks ( rear shocks has been suggested for replacement by the dealership 1 month ago after diagnostic ) .
I am about to purchase the parts my self but need a confirmation for the version:

According to the VIN Decoder here at AudiWorld on suspension:
Bellow is an images:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/g2BdhEmufgNcFlbs1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SdCZWv3lNzZNAxOz1

Suspension Type - Front 4-Link
Suspension Type - Front (Cont.) w/Stabilizer Bar

Suspension Type - Rear Trapezoidal Link
Suspension Type - Rear (Cont.) w/Stabilizer Bar

In the online shop there are couple of versions :
I am looking at
front: Quatro Avant without sport suspension, without electronic suspension.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8EdyMABLq5C5MDT43

rear: Quatro Avant with sport suspension, without electronic suspension. ( here is the tricky part - I was told that I am not having sport suspension and getting confused about the options that I am having as there is no option "without sport suspension, without electronic suspension for the rear shocks" )
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MGAd13MlMsnBLj933

So im not sure if I am dealing with faulty web page or this model is having rear sport suspension shocks only

also here is a picture of front shock ( black )
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6bsN6GuI2y2hmbH62

and here is a picture of rear shock
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3KF1iJrTdWzfLTL83

Thank you
Old 10-12-2017, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If u r sure that your car does not have sports suspension, go to the manufacturer website (e.g. Bilstein / Monroe / Sach / KYB / etc) to look for the right item codes.

I changed mine to Bilstein B6 (all 4) re-using the coils and without lowering the height, the ride is much better at high speed and during cornering than the originals (OEM Sachs), but feels a bit harder if the road surface is not perfect.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Thank you

Later last night after the same investigation on bilstein page regarding models. I went for the same thing B6 model.
Bit more expencive then my first choise but should be better.

Now after you mention your experience feel even better.

Thank you.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Do you not have your PR codes? That should make it obvious. Mine is 1BA, so standard suspension. 1BE is the sport suspension. You'll need your axle weight ranges too if you're dealing with springs. My 2009 A4 avant prestige is 0JH front, 0YL rear.
A4 and Allroad OEM Suspension Reference

The parts.audiusa.com site is terrible for the shocks, only lists the adaptive dampers part numbers. I find the part number listing on realoem.me more informative.
Online Audi A4/S4/Avant spare parts catalogue, USA market, 2010 model year: front axle, steering group, Audi VIN decoder, aftermarket, etka online
Online Audi A4/S4/Avant spare parts catalogue, USA market, 2010 model year: rear axle group, suspension, anti-roll bar, shock absorbers subgroup, Audi VIN decoder, aftermarket, etka online

(it seems realoem though has some JSCoinminer download thing going on, must be a recent change, Norton blocked it for me)

You can get B4 standard for 1BA or B4 sport for 1BE. The upgrade shock would be the B6 for 1BA or the B8 for 1BE.
Passenger car

I've also decided to go Bilstein B6 to replace mine. APX, was it much work / need special tools to do the front change out? The rear looks very simple. Do you have the sedan or wagon? The wagon is a little heavier in the back, but the part numbers seem the same for sedan and wagon, so wondering if it droops in the back after the move to B6.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
Do you not have your PR codes? That should make it obvious. Mine is 1BA, so standard suspension. 1BE is the sport suspension. You'll need your axle weight ranges too if you're dealing with springs. My 2009 A4 avant prestige is 0JH front, 0YL rear.
A4 and Allroad OEM Suspension Reference

The parts.audiusa.com site is terrible for the shocks, only lists the adaptive dampers part numbers. I find the part number listing on realoem.me more informative.
Online Audi A4/S4/Avant spare parts catalogue, USA market, 2010 model year: front axle, steering group, Audi VIN decoder, aftermarket, etka online
Online Audi A4/S4/Avant spare parts catalogue, USA market, 2010 model year: rear axle group, suspension, anti-roll bar, shock absorbers subgroup, Audi VIN decoder, aftermarket, etka online

(it seems realoem though has some JSCoinminer download thing going on, must be a recent change, Norton blocked it for me)

You can get B4 standard for 1BA or B4 sport for 1BE. The upgrade shock would be the B6 for 1BA or the B8 for 1BE.
Passenger car

I've also decided to go Bilstein B6 to replace mine. APX, was it much work / need special tools to do the front change out? The rear looks very simple. Do you have the sedan or wagon? The wagon is a little heavier in the back, but the part numbers seem the same for sedan and wagon, so wondering if it droops in the back after the move to B6.
mine is a sedan. I bought the shocks myself from the authorised dealer and let the garage to do the dirty job. DIY is not that common in the place I live.

Regarding the height drop for sedan vs avant, i checked the UK specification for the pre-facelifted B8, the difference in kerb weight is just 55kg. Anyway if both models use the same shocks and coils when rolled out from factory, changing to the same aftermarket items should have the "same difference" in appearance and riding experience