A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all:
Print Wikipost

Audi A4 - CVT - Problems????

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steveracer
I have a 2002 1.8t with CVT, 120.000 miles, and no problems at all to date. Other than the slow start from stop, I love the CVT for normal effortless driving.

Wife has the 2011 2.0t eight speed, quattro. That car sucks with the terrible integration of the engine/transmission./controls - in that at throttle tip in the car doesn't move for one second, and is not what your mind and foot "tell" the car what to do. Dealer can't do anything about it. Therefore, the CVT is much more satisfying to drive than the current automatic trans. And no problems to date.
Well that's good news!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CVT's have had many issues in many7 different models. The control uniots are inside the transmission and fail quite often,a 2K fix! These transmissions also NEED fluid changes at 30K miles.
To replace a CVT trans is also in the 10K range !
The Tiptronics have had a MUCH better track record for reliabilty/longevity,if you HAVE to buy a auto,get the Tip/quattro and stay away from the fronttrack/CVT,unless you are leaing the car!
I own a VW/Audi repair shop and in fact am doing a CVT service tomorrow on a A-6 which is having tranmsission issues at 74K miles (no fluid changes!)
My wife had a B6 A4 1.8T and her CVT crapped out at 40K miles,it was the control unit. We got a B7 2.0T Quattro and traded it in at 65K,never had a problem.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry about the typos!! How come you cannot "edit" on this forum!!??
Old 02-26-2012, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big turbo TT
CVT's have had many issues in many7 different models. The control uniots are inside the transmission and fail quite often,a 2K fix! These transmissions also NEED fluid changes at 30K miles.
To replace a CVT trans is also in the 10K range !
The Tiptronics have had a MUCH better track record for reliabilty/longevity,if you HAVE to buy a auto,get the Tip/quattro and stay away from the fronttrack/CVT,unless you are leaing the car!
I own a VW/Audi repair shop and in fact am doing a CVT service tomorrow on a A-6 which is having tranmsission issues at 74K miles (no fluid changes!)
My wife had a B6 A4 1.8T and her CVT crapped out at 40K miles,it was the control unit. We got a B7 2.0T Quattro and traded it in at 65K,never had a problem.
The new CVTs are not the same units as the older A4/A6 cars. Also, the CVTs on older cars with V6 engines had updated clutches with software to prevent premature clutch failure.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have just seen to many issues with these units to have any faith in Audi or the new ones even if they are "better". I have had to replace controller in the V6 CVT as well. Almost every CVT car I have seen with over 100k had the trans replaced atleast once,but this is Hawaii where it is all stop & go and hard on transmissions.
Hopefully they are better,but having seen so many different VAG transmissions crap out/have problems I buy only MT for myself personally,but my wife gets the AT-Quattro.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big turbo TT
I have just seen to many issues with these units to have any faith in Audi or the new ones even if they are "better". I have had to replace controller in the V6 CVT as well. Almost every CVT car I have seen with over 100k had the trans replaced atleast once,but this is Hawaii where it is all stop & go and hard on transmissions.
Hopefully they are better,but having seen so many different VAG transmissions crap out/have problems I buy only MT for myself personally,but my wife gets the AT-Quattro.
I'm not a fan of CVTs either. Just saying they are not the same units, so only time will tell. The new units are complete re-designs, nothing like the older versions what so ever.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
I'm not a fan of CVTs either. Just saying they are not the same units, so only time will tell. The new units are complete re-designs, nothing like the older versions what so ever.
I am just curious how you know this? AS stated previously (I am the original poster) - I will be getting an A6 2.0 - which comes with CVT - a few people have stated that the CVT has been updated; however, the funny thing is that none of the dealerships (sales people) have mentioned this to me.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by palermo22
I am just curious how you know this? AS stated previously (I am the original poster) - I will be getting an A6 2.0 - which comes with CVT - a few people have stated that the CVT has been updated; however, the funny thing is that none of the dealerships (sales people) have mentioned this to me.
I know because I work and deal with these cars everyday. It's not the same CVT. The techs at the dealership know this too, if they have taken any training on the new CVT, which has been out now for about 3 years starting with the MY09 A4 with 2.0TFSI engine. Nobody has seen the same issues yet like the older CVTs.

Sales personnel IMO, never know anything in detail. They only know selling points and features, nothing technical. Also, since the CVTs are a Fronttrak model, it's not what Audi's mainstream powertrain fame is. You won't hear much about it. Only Quattro is whats touted. A6 2.0 Quattros are supposed to be coming soon though AFAIK.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so did you get your a6 with cvt? how is it? curious to know as mine is on its way. thank you
Old 08-26-2012, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ezveedub
I know because I work and deal with these cars everyday. It's not the same CVT. The techs at the dealership know this too, if they have taken any training on the new CVT, which has been out now for about 3 years starting with the MY09 A4 with 2.0TFSI engine. Nobody has seen the same issues yet like the older CVTs.

Sales personnel IMO, never know anything in detail. They only know selling points and features, nothing technical. Also, since the CVTs are a Fronttrak model, it's not what Audi's mainstream powertrain fame is. You won't hear much about it. Only Quattro is whats touted. A6 2.0 Quattros are supposed to be coming soon though AFAIK.

As this post was 02.27.12 I wonder if there is an update on these CVT B8 Multitronic gearboxes? Are they failing as the older models have?

I ask because I am looking to buy an A4 B8 Saloon 2.0T FSI S Line 4dr Multitronic 2009 (with LED front lights).

It is a business car and now has High Mileage of 100k of mainly motorway miles and has been driven hard, but it is still in great condition. The 3 yr warranty finishes at the start of Sept 2012. It has full Audi service history, it had the usual oil usage problem, but at 75k Audi added new pistons, rings and seals under warranty, also a new head, but not a new engine block. This cured the heavy usage of oil, but it still consumes a certain amount still I understand.

The car is still in excellent condition with no signs of wear in the cabin, it has extras such as Sat Nav, MMI telephone kit, paddle shift steering wheel. I only clock up about 10k per year, so would not be adding too much to the high mileage. But reading all the websites about previous A4 problems makes me wonder whether it is worth it, or has the B8 none of the past

Would it be reliable in the future? And what sort of mileage could I expect to get from it? 150K ? Or should I stay away from automatic transmission?
I am a bit concerned as it has also been on the Audi Longlife servicing and it looks as though the gearbox oil has only been changed once?

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Audi A4 - CVT - Problems????