A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi A4 oil issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 oil issues

Hey all,
I just bought my first Audi A4 (B8) 2010 . Its a really amazing car but I'm having major oil issues. I have done tons of research and I think I have bad rings but I want other opinions.
So far I have own the car for 3 months and I have been filling up the oil every single Saturday. From Min level on the MMI to max. I have been putting Lucas Oil 10130 Synthetic Oil Stabilizer & Castrol EDGE 5W-40 European Formula Advanced Full Synthetic everyday Saturday. I have changed the PCV valve on the car. I have put Motor oil saver from Molly gen. I changed the spark plugs and they didn't have no oil on them. I dont have no smoke coming out the exhaust. I dont' have any leaks that I can see. I drove 80 miles since Saturday and I have lost half of my oil according to the MMI. I even bought a dipstick to put in the hole to make sure the MMI & oil sensor isn't malfunctioning. I was thinking about putting Liqui Moly 2037 Pro-Line Engine Flush and then putting Molygen Engine oil with the UV dye to test if I have any oil leaks that I can't see. I have been a Lexus person all my life and have works on cars for years but I never seen a car drink so much oil without any leaks or smoke.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Widespread problem. I'd quit with all the random additives you are pouring in. Not going to change anything. If you know you are consuming a quart every 1000 miles or so, it's time to make a decision on rebuilding vs. selling.

Do you know about the timing chain problem?
Old 10-03-2022, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Same as above. Read around on the forums, you will see it is very common with the 2.0T which is assumably what you have. The additives and snake oil aren't going to help.
You could try pulling the turbo downtube and see if it's full of oil.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 70 Posts

its burning .. many oil burning pretty looking POS 2.0T Audis sitting on used car lots waiting for there next victim. Looks like they found one . sorry about your luck.. At least you know why the last guy sold it.
The following users liked this post:
punkncat (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Two references for you:

2.0T oil consumption due to faulty rings: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...umption-Thread

Early 2.0T timing chain tensioner: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ser-adaptation
--g
Old 10-03-2022, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the spark plugs (should show black tip, possibly shiny), with engine camera (can be rented any auto parts), check piston chambers, crowns may show carbon deposit.

I am almost 100% sure it is piston oil rings, worst design made for those engines.

It is not a bad car, check Naptowntuner (youtuber), he even brags how much money he has made flipping them.

Audi/VW complete opposite of Lexus, get a second job just for repairs, very close behind to BMW money pit.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by crankestein
check the spark plugs (should show black tip, possibly shiny), with engine camera (can be rented any auto parts), check piston chambers, crowns may show carbon deposit.

I am almost 100% sure it is piston oil rings, worst design made for those engines.

It is not a bad car, check Naptowntuner (youtuber), he even brags how much money he has made flipping them.

Audi/VW complete opposite of Lexus, get a second job just for repairs, very close behind to BMW money pit.
dont bother renting cameras ,.,, its the rings , dump the car ..
Old 10-03-2022, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 365 Likes on 282 Posts

Balance of probabilities says - it's the rings. It's unfortunate that you did not do the research before you purchased the car because 1 - 2 hours on the internet or a trip to the library to borrow Lemon -Aid would have given you a heads-up on the oil consumption problem.

The problem is mostly fixable; but, it is more than just new rings. You need the later rings, pistons and con rods that VAG used to address the problem. FCP Euro and others sell packaged rebuild kits. I think their price is about $4000. If you can remove the engine and do the rebuild work yourself this might be a financially viable repair. If you have to pay somebody to do the repair work for you, you have a tough decision to make because the parts plus the labor charges may approach the value of the car.

If you purchased the car from a dealer, go back to that same dealer and ask for trade in value on a 2010 Lexus. Be prepared for a shock on the trade-in value.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I haven't seen an improvement so I figured that much. My question to you is are all the audi 2.0 T engines oil burners ? I still have the car financed so I can't really sell it until I pay it off sadly and I saw the trade in value and its horrible.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 142 guy
Balance of probabilities says - it's the rings. It's unfortunate that you did not do the research before you purchased the car because 1 - 2 hours on the internet or a trip to the library to borrow Lemon -Aid would have given you a heads-up on the oil consumption problem.

The problem is mostly fixable; but, it is more than just new rings. You need the later rings, pistons and con rods that VAG used to address the problem. FCP Euro and others sell packaged rebuild kits. I think their price is about $4000. If you can remove the engine and do the rebuild work yourself this might be a financially viable repair. If you have to pay somebody to do the repair work for you, you have a tough decision to make because the parts plus the labor charges may approach the value of the car.

If you purchased the car from a dealer, go back to that same dealer and ask for trade in value on a 2010 Lexus. Be prepared for a shock on the trade-in value.
I was looking up the trade in value and its almost less than half of what I paid

Quick Reply: Audi A4 oil issues