A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi Drive Select vs. aftermarket suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nice to hear.

to be honest, I'm not surprised the springs, even though lower, feel better then the stock ADS ones. to me they feel sort of overly stiff compared to the height of the car. as an example, if I set the stock ADS suspension to dynamic, there is not a lot of difference comfort wise to my old S4 which was on KW coilovers and about a good 50mm lower than the ADS equipped A4.

regarding the aftermarket suspension issue, I tried disconnecting one of the shocks recently. the result was what I expected, theres a shock warning symbol in the display, but that was actually the only effect it had. ADS worked fine otherwise, there was no problem in the throttle or steering adjustability.

now the only concern is the warning light being lit at the top row of the display, its fairly small but it does block out some information such as CD/radio info and maybe something else as well, not sure. unfortunately with these new systems it can't be passed by simply clearing the fault codes etc. one option I'm looking into is to putting a resistor into each of the shock connectors that would have the same resistance as the coil that is used to adjust the damping, which would basically make the system think that the shock is still in place.

I will update with progress. this is obviously not the easiest way, but if it doesn't end up working I'll either install coilovers and leave the warning light be, or alternatively settle with springs. we'll see.....
Old 10-30-2009, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I would like someone who KNOWS for sure, to verify this. My dealer sez, that ADS can be had with the "comfort" or "sport" suspension -- that is there is a difference.

Mine has the 19" sport package AND the ADS option. Next to a NON sport pkg equipped version, mine has noticably less wheel / fender gap -- I do not think ADS means you get the sport springs, sway-bars, etc, if you simply order an A4 with ADS (without specifying the sport package or SLine).

Signed,

"Often wrong, never uncertain. . . "

Someone who knows fur sure, please verify.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I would like someone who KNOWS for sure, to verify this. My dealer sez, that ADS can be had with the "comfort" or "sport" suspension -- that is there is a difference.

Mine has the 19" sport package AND the ADS option. Next to a NON sport pkg equipped version, mine has noticably less wheel / fender gap -- I do not think ADS means you get the sport springs, sway-bars, etc, if you simply order an A4 with ADS (without specifying the sport package or SLine).
I'd also like to know -- I've got pre-release documentation that says the ADS cars include the sport springs, but that could have been a hold-over from RoW specs the PR people didn't know to pull out...

That being said, my impressions from driving an ADS car back to back with a standard suspension car was that even in comfort mode the ADS car didn't soak up the potholes/rough road right in front of the dealer as well as the stock car. ADS comfort damping is supposed to be even softer than stock, so that just leaves the springs right? Granted the ADS car was a Euro-spec nearly loaded Prestige w/o sport package (S-line or sport were the only obvious things missing) -- brought over for the A4 driving experience complete with a KM/h only speedo.

It would be interesting (but not entirely surprising) if the North America cars are different.

Last edited by need_TQM; 10-30-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:10 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati

Thanks.
I am under impression that sport and non-sport ADS cars have the same suspension, although I am not 100% sure. They do have the same exact fender gap - 20 mm lower than the non-sport or non-ADS versions.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You appear to be correct - the EKTA parts catalog seems to indicate the same springs used for magnetic suspension and sports suspension.

John.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ewill
............. I'm with the views above and go for H&R sport springs with 35mm lowering over standard (and 15mm lower than ADS and S-line outside Europe) Since ADS is compatible with 30mm lowering in Europe, 35mm should cause no problems.
Hi ewill,
Coming from B8 (S4) forum and very interested to understand the risks associated with ADS suspension performnce and durability changes when changing ADS springs only i.e. to lower suspension but leaving Dampers as they are.

Your comment about 'ADS is compatible with 30mm lowering in Europe..' - can you share where does this information come from? is it reported fact by Audi? by who / where? Am dubious about wrecking Dampers as result of too much drop.

TIA

Last edited by S4Tokyo; 09-05-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ryan1524
So after driving around for 200km post-install yesterday, I couldn't be happier with the springs. It lowered my car just right, just the right amount of space (or lack of) between the fender and the rubber. It looks great even with the lame 17" stock wheels.

I can notice the difference immediately. On all settings of the ADS, the car feels more sure-footed, planted, somehow. Not sure how to describe it. Any movement I make just feels more confident and precise. The odd thing is, it's not harsh at all. Some bumps that used to hurt felt much softer. As if the bump was attenuated by 50%. Magic material, this spring.
Ryan, just posted a separate query to 'ewill' on this forum. Notice your last post here was April 2009...so I've jumped forward to Sept 2010 with a question for you - hopefully you can share some answers?;-)

How have the H&R OE Sport Springs worked after this past 18months or so;
- still as good as your initial impression above?
- do you mind sharing what mileage you've put up since then & confirm no notable neg impact on ADS Dampers since then?
- did you do realignment at time that you swapped in the H&R Springs
- I'm guess you did?

Many TIA

Last edited by S4Tokyo; 09-05-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Geezer advice:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4Tokyo
Ryan, just posted a separate query to 'ewill' on this forum. Notice your last post here was April 2009...so I've jumped forward to Sept 2010 with a question for you - hopefully you can share some answers?;-)

How have the H&R OE Sport Springs worked after this past 18months or so;
- still as good as your initial impression above?
- do you mind sharing what mileage you've put up since then & confirm no notable neg impact on ADS Dampers since then?
- did you do realignment at time that you swapped in the H&R Springs
- I'm guess you did?

Many TIA
- I took the springs off ~2 months ago for an unrelated reason. Springs were perfect, and ride quality did not change in the duration of use.

- I put on ~25,000km with the springs, no visible or noticable impact on ADS.

- Shop who installed it did an alignment after install. No further realignment was needed (despite possible settling - or maybe they aligned it with tolerance with settling in mind).
Old 09-09-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thx for feedback ....good news to read ;-)

Quick Reply: Audi Drive Select vs. aftermarket suspension