A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi signature rewards Visa card

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audi signature rewards Visa card

Does anyone know where one would apply for the Audi signature rewards visa card? I was able to find websites with information about the card. But on the Audi and Visa websites, there is no trace of such a card at all. Does anyone know if it has been discontinued or if its something you can only apply for at a dealership?

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The real question is why would you want one? Most of the point system cards are a joint marketing effort between the card issuer and a company like Audi. The things you can buy with points are like ice in the wintertime, not really worth the value placed on them by the marketing department. Audi gets demographic info about how you spend your money, and can tailor advertising to you based on that.

The banks have recently reeled in credit by lowering limits, raised interest rates to pawn shop levels, and discontinued many reward cards. This is how they make money in a down economy. I suspect Audi has eliminated the marketing arrangement with Chase.

Not many people can live within their means, but the cost of credit is just too high. The credit issuers are simply piling on peoples' desire to have pretty things without working to earn the cash to buy them. Why anyone would want to make those clowns rich is beyond me. When I give someone money, I receive value in return. One of my habits.

There are a few people who use a card as a tool to enable paying without carrying a large sum of cash, or places they are unknown and paying by check is not possible. You need a credit card to rent a car, stay in a hotel (by the hour you can still pay cash,), or to make a telephone payment. If you pay it off every month, the bank has a word for you. Freeloader. They will try every trick they can think of to trip you up and declare a payment late to collect some big bucks.

Some people say they need to use a card to build their FICO score. While a high score is good when you buy a house (the only time you should pay over time, because of the tax deduction, and most people need a house today, and cannot save for 15 years to pay cash.) Other than that your FICO score is not a measure of your good credit, it is a measure of your abilty to be made a sucker by the financial system. Earn and budget your money, don't pay interest on credit cards, pay off your house, buy only the car you can pay cash for, and you will live like no one else.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the offer for this card in the mail all the time. Maybe it's mail only. Dealership will probably have a brochure or something.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moviela
There are a few people who use a card as a tool to enable paying without carrying a large sum of cash, or places they are unknown and paying by check is not possible. You need a credit card to rent a car, stay in a hotel (by the hour you can still pay cash,), or to make a telephone payment. If you pay it off every month, the bank has a word for you. Freeloader. They will try every trick they can think of to trip you up and declare a payment late to collect some big bucks.
That's me. I use a credit card to pay for virtually everything, and I've always paid them in full every month. I never carry a balance. It's convenient for me, I get a record of all my purchases, and I even get some purchase protection (extended warranty, dispute management, etc). I don't buy anything I can't pay for fully when I get the bill.

I'm sure the credit companies don't prefer customers like me, but it's not like they get no value from me as a customer. They get the merchant fees for every purchase I make.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I never carry cash. I instead use my debit card for almost all purchases, so I have the advantage of tracking my spending and never run the risk of spending money I don't have.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have to echo other sentiments. A credit card is handy for the convenience factor or for emergencies, vacations, etc.

They have, however, become entirely too much of a crutch that enables people living well above their means as well as a prestige thing (particularly obnoxious with the introduction of "black" cards that don't offer many perks over other cards).

They do have their uses but I personally think carrying any kind of balance or carrying a card for dubious travel/points systems is silly.

Also agree with sentiment that it's smarter to drive a beater, save up and pay cash for a car than to string it out with a long finance. If you can get 0% or a very low interest rate than it might make sense to keep surplus cash on hand and do a short term finance deal. Five year and longer auto loans seem crazy to me though, the car should be paid off well before the warranty runs out!
Old 12-23-2009, 07:52 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

FWIW you can redeem the points towards your Audi Financial loan or lease. But you are right, the ability to apply for one does seem to have vanished.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My wife and I each have the same Continental MasterCard. We charge everything, make sure almost all bills auto charge the cards and always pay in full at the end of the month.

The end of each year we combine our accumnulated Continental air miles and take a free first class flight for vacation!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the Audi card, among other credit cards. I get Best Buy Gift Cards with the points that I earn. Their are bunch of other gift cards you can get, or other items. Certainly nice to get the perk, especially if you pay it off right away. Plus I travel a lot for work, so I use credit card for travel expenses but get to keep the perks.

Cheers,

Chuck