A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Auto Door Lock Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto Door Lock Issues

I've started to have issues with my door locks. Below is what I'm experiencing.

1) Typically when you get in the car and start driving the doors will auto lock at like 7 or 8 mph. It still does that but now every time I slow down below 7 or 8 mph or stop at a stop light and take off again the doors try to lock themselves again. This happens every time.

2) When the doors are locked the red light on the door lock/unlock button doesn't illuminate on any of the doors to show that the doors are locked.

3) When I lock the car with the key fob the rear passenger side door and gas door won't lock.

4) Also, and I can't remember now what is supposed to happen but when I lock my doors with the key fob from outside of the car the rear brake lights don't flash. I thought they did but now I can't remember.

Lots of issues all tied to the door locking system. Maybe a fuse, maybe something else? Has anyone else had issues like this?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2016, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The system uses a vacuum pump to actuate the door locks. Leaking could cause the system to not be able to lock all the doors and also make it think the doors are still unlocked.

Others here and at Audizine.com have experienced similar issues. Searching will turn up those threads.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same issue. Most likely your rear passenger door actuator is bad and needs replaced.

VAG-COM will identify the bad module if you have one.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by treilley
The system uses a vacuum pump to actuate the door locks. Leaking could cause the system to not be able to lock all the doors and also make it think the doors are still unlocked.

Others here and at Audizine.com have experienced similar issues. Searching will turn up those threads.
The system DOES NOT use a vacuum pump to actuate the door locks. Vacuum operated systems went away a long, long time ago.

Estrov gives good advice. A VCDS scan will tell you what the issue or issues are with a scan.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
The system DOES NOT use a vacuum pump to actuate the door locks. Vacuum operated systems went away a long, long time ago.

Estrov gives good advice. A VCDS scan will tell you what the issue or issues are with a scan.
Hmm, was not aware. I based my answer in this post. Audi A4 B7 B8 Door Lock Problems Diagnostic Guide - Audiworld
Old 11-06-2016, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brake lights should flash when you lock, +1 on checking for codes. If you don't have a code checker I used a wireless ELM327 adapter and Carista for mine since I wasn't ready to shell out for VCDS yet so for
Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how I missed all your replies above but thanks for those. I do not have a scanner so after reading multiple posts decided to replace the actuator. I posted the below comment over on an Audizine thread about this but have yet to hear a reply. Hoping someone here can help.

Ok...HELP!

I thought I had a similar problem as everyone else and maybe I do/did but now I have other issues. I have the lock beeps shut off on my car but noticed the lights weren't flashing normally when I would lock the car and that is how I found out my back passenger side door wasn't locking when I locked the car. Also, when I would drive the car sometimes the lock would work and sometimes it wouldn't. When it would work the lock light on the back door would be illuminated red and when it wouldn't it wouldn't be lit up. Also, when it was having issues whenever I would drop below 8 mph and then speed back up the doors would constantly try to re-lock themselves. However I also had issues opening the door from the outside. Sometimes I would pull on the handle and the door wouldn't open. I would have to reach inside the car and pull the door handle from the inside to get the handle on the outside to work.

I ordered a new right rear door actuator from Jim Ellis Audi and set off today to fix it. Took the panel off, unhooked the old actuator and got the new one in. Seemed simple enough and everything went back into place. I went to close the door to test everything and the door wouldn't close. It was like there wasn't a latch to catch on anything. I locked/unlocked all the doors and kept trying and then switched the child door lock switch and eventually got the door to shut. However now the door won't open at all. I can't open it from the outside or the inside. It is completely stuck shut.

Also, and this was happening before so maybe it was another issue, but my outside door handle pulls really easily and doesn't have the resistance like all the other door handles. Maybe it wasn't the actuator and is a problem with the door handle? Any thoughts?

Thanks!