A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

For the Avant owners, possible fix for panoramic sunroof creak

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For the Avant owners, possible fix for panoramic sunroof creak

I don't think I've seen anybody else comment about this, but I've had an annoying creak (sounds like a tick-tick-tick) that occurs over bumps for the past month or so. From the driver's seat, it sounds like it's originating from the passenger side B-pillar so I suspected poorly fitting interior panels rubbing together or squeaky rubber seals. But that turned out to be an "auditory illusion" (ha wut?) because when I sat in the back seat (with wife driving), I was able to pin-point the source of the creaking. It's actually coming from the passenger-side rear corner of the panoramic "Open Sky" sunroof. I believe the noise is coming from the interior headliner rubbing against the edge of the sunroof frame trim, because when I pressed my finger against the headliner at that corner, the creak disappeared. It becomes more obvious if you lay a handheld mirror upside down (facing the floor) inside the sunroof where the sunshade lives because you can see where the 2 parts come into contact with each other (visible with sunshade in protracted position because when retracted, the sunshade's silver lip blocks your view of the corner in question). I was able to significantly reduce the noise by placing a small piece of rubber in between the headliner and metal frame in this corner, but I don't know if this is a permanent fix yet. If my DIY fix fails or the creak gets worse, I'll mention it to the dealer, but I'm honestly worried about collateral damage that may result from any monkeying around with the headliner.

I'm curious to know if I'm the only person who has encountered this creak, or if other Avant owners have noticed it as well. I'm guessing B8 sedan owners won't ever have this problem, since the Open Sky sunroof is considerably larger than the standard sunroof. The creaking is probably a result of the car body twisting and flexing around the glass sunroof frame. I'm sure my sports suspension is not helping the situation, but Avant owners should consider themselves forewarned!

Last edited by BMWBig6; 05-03-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up!

I haven't noticed anything yet, but my wife is the primary driver of the Avant.
Our car only has ~3500 miles on it.

How many miles did yours have before exhibiting this problem?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 5900 miles now, I started noticing the noise at around 5,000 miles.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure A3 OS is the same, but, do a search over there. Dealer adjusted mine so it sat correctly on seals.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

my avant with 6500 miles is fine.