A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

B&O Volume Control when you start the vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&O Volume Control when you start the vehicle?

How do I change the stereo settings to not reset the volume everytime I start the car? Even if I turn it down really low, when I restart the vehicle it resets at a higher volume level.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

The regular sound system does this as well. Anyone knows how to do it?
Old 11-19-2009, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mart242
The regular sound system does this as well. Anyone knows how to do it?
Won't hold a mute setting either (Symphony in Prem+ w/o Nav). Mentioned this to my SA and got "performance to spec" back on the work invoice after AoA thought something was wrong with the unit. After the service they called me back to say that was the way it was designed.

I'd like to know how to change this behavior as well...
Old 11-19-2009, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe we're simply expecting too much from the radio in a 40k car?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The volume automatically drops to a safe limit so that if you turn off after blasting your ears then it's not going to give you a heart attack when you get back in.

I've not found a way of turning this function off but I did tweak the "safe level" so that it was a bit louder i.e. a sensible setting that I can have as my default.

I think I did it in the hidden menu but it was months ago and I can't remember. I'll try and find some info over the weekend.

p.s. I do recall you have to do this per sound source i.e. radio, CD, etc
Old 11-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
The volume automatically drops to a safe limit so that if you turn off after blasting your ears then it's not going to give you a heart attack when you get back in.

I've not found a way of turning this function off but I did tweak the "safe level" so that it was a bit louder i.e. a sensible setting that I can have as my default.

I think I did it in the hidden menu but it was months ago and I can't remember. I'll try and find some info over the weekend.

p.s. I do recall you have to do this per sound source i.e. radio, CD, etc
Um Scotty, maybe I didn't make my post clear, but I actually want the volume to STAY at a LOWER level. I have a 6 week old, and don't like that the volume adjusts upward from where I left it. If it would just stay at the level I turned it off at that would be terrific. My wife recalls that our B6 was able to adjust this setting. We've both looked through all the settings and manuals, maybe we missed it. I understand the volume dropping from a higher volume to not blast you when you get in, but why the opposite?
Old 11-20-2009, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mart242
Maybe we're simply expecting too much from the radio in a 40k car?
:-)

This unit needs some work, in my opinion. The lack of ability to hold volume/mute after shutdown/restart is unfortunate. The fact that if you "shut off" the system to keep it quiet (only way to prevent mute from being shut off on restart) and then press a button like (car or tel -- maybe ANY button?) on the MMI the sound comes back on is also unfortunate.

You shouldn't have to have to turn the radio on to check the car's oil level or look at the phone book, but you do with MMI.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Set UP screen in the MMI allows you set the volume level at startup. I know I have changed mine to a lower level and works perfect.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RoyM
Set UP screen in the MMI allows you set the volume level at startup. I know I have changed mine to a lower level and works perfect.
mine too, i wish the volume was lower after you hang up from a call.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyM
Perhaps that's where I did it.

With regards if the default is too quiet or too loud, it is adjustable.

Quick Reply: B&O Volume Control when you start the vehicle?