A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

B8 A4 chipped 2.0T or B8 S4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What changed on the '00 to '01 1.8T?? -- Audi got 20 additional HP (150 to 170) and 12 ft-lbs (155 to 167). Was that just a ECU, or hardware? Seems like a very small increment for HW mods.

Just about ANY more output from the 2.0T on the B8 would have further encroached on the 3.2 sales. I'm not saying that they sandbagged the 2.0T to make it fit within their engine lineup, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

The other interesting tidbit is that the torque limit is 258 ft-lbs in both the A4 and TTS -- to my knowledge the tip or 6MT does not have a 350 N-M limit, but the DSG does, and it's available in the A4 lineup elsewhere.

Thus the 2.0T may be limited in performance due to a transmission which we don't get here in the US.

That being said, I agree that it's unlikely you can get something for nothing -- additional torque will likely put additional stress on both engine and other drive line components. Will that make things fail "prematurely" or just "a bit earlier" -- very hard to say.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm fairly certain there were HW differences between the 00 and 01 B5 1.8Ts. I think the K03 turbo in the 01 had a different impeller among other differences.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
I had a chance to drive the 3.0T A6 (300-hp. 310 lb-ft) at the Audi Driving Experience this past weekend. That's a sweet engine. There is no way the 2.0T can match the smoothness and linear power delivery of a supercharged V6.
I agree with this. I too drove the new A6 3.0T last week and the engine feels faster than the numbers suggest. And that was in the heavier A6. The 3.0T is going to be a benchmark engine in the media and publications.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default cancelled S4 order

I am switching gears. I ordered an S4 but changing to a B8 Avant, Sport pack, titanium package, B&O, nav etc. Price is pretty close to the build of my S4 so Money is not the issue(I have heard many say if you can afford an S4 just buy one). I wanted to build a cool avant (having just sold my B6 USP Avant). Something about Avants with me. I do plan on spending about $6K the first year on the Avant plus MSRP of $49K = $55K B8 A4 Avant, same of my S4 build. Note that if Audi brought over the S4 Avant, I would have paid $60K for that over my existing plans but they are not.
Reasons: Avants are cool. I have 3 young kids in sports, a dog and again: avants are cool.
Note also that I have a 97 M3 sedan and after driving that the past month made me realize I don't need another white sedan in the garage.

I might put in S4 seats which are bad ***. good luck whatever you do, you won't go wrong either way
Old 06-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sleeperwagon
I am switching gears. I ordered an S4 but changing to a B8 Avant, Sport pack, titanium package, B&O, nav etc. Price is pretty close to the build of my S4 so Money is not the issue(I have heard many say if you can afford an S4 just buy one). I wanted to build a cool avant (having just sold my B6 USP Avant). Something about Avants with me. I do plan on spending about $6K the first year on the Avant plus MSRP of $49K = $55K B8 A4 Avant, same of my S4 build. Note that if Audi brought over the S4 Avant, I would have paid $60K for that over my existing plans but they are not.
Reasons: Avants are cool. I have 3 young kids in sports, a dog and again: avants are cool.
Note also that I have a 97 M3 sedan and after driving that the past month made me realize I don't need another white sedan in the garage.

I might put in S4 seats which are bad ***. good luck whatever you do, you won't go wrong either way
You are thinking just like me, I could have bought the S4 but really wanted the wagon badly..So i got it with most of the goodies and adding a few more, custom install stereo, different set of rims come winter (OEM will become winterwheels)...and for a day to day car, i really like the 30+mpg i see on my 60 mile roundtrip commute. I have had it for a little more than a month and can not be happier. Had the S4 Avant been stateside, that would have been my pick. Too bad Audi US don't bring them.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW, I have been driving the '09 avant (some mods) and a '10 S4 on a regular basis back and forth between them. There are BIG differences especially once you get them on track.

On the street, the avant feels every bit as fast as the S4. The S4 makes much nicer sounds. The gas mileage of the S4 is worse than my E55 AMG when pushed hard... I was refilling the S4 every other day vs once every 4-5 days in the avant. That plain sucks (no pun intended) On the freeway, the higher HP of the S4 is VERY apparent. As someone stated, get a K04 and you are set. Face it just like all VAG cars, the K03 turbo tends to be the primary power restriction.

If you like to run hard through the canyons or track your car, the torque vectoring rear diff is wicked fun! I would happily pay to upgrade the avant to that rear diff if it was possible.

On a side note, S4 seats SUCK! ...especially for agressive driving or track use. I'm not sure what Audi was thinking. A car that would otherwise be a joy at the track is crippled by seats that have no ability to hold harnesses. If I owned the S4, I would swap in a pair of the S-line seats or get some proper Recaro's with harness slots.

The S4 S-tronic tranny is definitely superior to the 6 spd tip tranny. The 8 spd tip is a joke...obviously an EPA/fleet sales gimmick. I spent almost 400 miles trying to train the 8 spd in a recent loaner to not be such a gear skipping dog. Nothing helped except manual mode. The dang thing wants to shift to 6th by 30 mph?!!! heaven forbid that you were just lifting momentarily under braking on corner entry... bam 6th...no appreciable torque to help balance the car through the corner... get used to using the paddles to "correct" the tranny to a suitable gear. Reminds me of the 80's Corvettes and their gear skipping MT... bane of performance, but EPA blessed

All in all, I'd love an S4 avant (dealer has my standing order if they are ever available....) but seats would have to go... And I'd just have to grin and bear it at the pump....