A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

B8 A4 Design Commentary

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B8 A4 Design Commentary

There's an interesting discussion about how well people think the A5 design will age over on the Audi A5 / S5 Coupe forum. While nobody has come out and said it yet, I get the feeling that many (on and off the forums) believe that the A5 design is more "special" because it came out first and established much of the design language used on the subsequent A4, but I wonder if that is just because the A5 is more of a focused, purpose-built sports/GT coupe produced in smaller quantities for a smaller audience than the bread-and-butter A4.

So what does everyone on here think about the B8 A4 design?
  1. Does the B8 A4 design play 2nd-fiddle to the A5's much-celebrated design? (Walter de’Silva has said the A5 was his favorite design)
  2. Is the A4 perceived as just a 4-door compromise or mutation of the original A5 design? Or does it stand out as its own original design, with its own merits (and warts)?
  3. How well do you think the B8 A4 design will age over the next 10 years? Will it still seem fresh and relevant, or appear dated and antiquated?

Last edited by BMWBig6; 06-12-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very good post.. here are my quick thoughts..

almost any 2 door will get more love than the 4 door variant.

I think the LED running lights are a huge hit and draws new comers to the brand, which can be seen as both a good thing and bad as well.

furthermore I think the B8 is a very nice compliment to the A5, I think the S4 even more so.

As far as still looking good in 10 years, way to subjective, I think cars get outdated quickly, there is always something newer and better right around the corner
Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Funny that you mention. To me all the designs of the A4 have aged well. *Flame suit on* With the exception of the B6, something about to me just seems old. Maybe it's the roundness in the rear, I instantly think C5 A6 when I see them which makes me think old. I'm not sure how the B8 will hold up. I feel the rear is a little weak on the sedan. The deck is too low to me. Love the Avant though. Probably the best looking wagon Audi has sent to the US since we didn't get the RS4 avant.
The Germans build much more tasteful cars which is why they age well.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I echo mktt's comments.

I think the B8 A4 was both a natural progression (and improvement) from the B7 A4, in combination with the evolution from the A5's sexy new design. I think it's easily the best looking car in it's segment right now, and other car makers are already (pathetically ) immitating Audi by adding the LED's to the front ends of their cars. Hopefully it doesn't water down the impact of Audi's current signature design feature.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the A5 is a gorgeous car, even though i like the Nuvolari prototype much much better. That said I dont see the A5 and A4 competing in the same market.
If i could afford it i would actually have an S5 Cab and an A4 Avant which would compliment each other perfectly. One for fun and one for more practical use. I dont feel coming in second row because im parked next to an A5.
10 years down the road i think the A4 will still be the "leading" Audi since it is that tad cheaper and is more "family" oriented than the A5. Packing kids in a coupe has always been a hassle.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think there is any bearing whether the A5 came out before the B8. They are both what they are and they both serve two seperate fields.

When rating each, there is no question, the A5 is one of the prettiest designs of any car in modern times. The B8 is up on top too, but 4-doors never garner up the same lust as 2-doors.

As far as I'm concerned, Audi is the the leader of today's automotive field. Those smart enough to purchase an Audi project their taste and standards above others.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

From a collectability standpoint, coupes and converts always outso the 4 doors. So there is some weird love for the 2 doors and maybe also in the a4/a5 case.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'd like to think that the B8 design will have more staying power than previous designs but a lot of what I feel makes the B8 special is not strictly design-related per se.

One thing I love about my B8 A4 is that it is the result of a new product development strategy for Audi to design a sport coupe (A5/S5) and then derive a sedan from that, as opposed to BMW's 3-series (which has been the segment leader for quite some time) development strategy at the time of designing a sedan and then deriving a sport coupe from that. The end-result is that the B8 is sportier than the previous A4 platforms in my opinion, and it shows. Compared to the B7, the B8 is wider and lighter (despite being longer). The new MLP chassis (which the A5/S5 also use) allows for less front-overhang and better weight distribution.

As for strictly design cues, I don't think the A4 stands on its own from the A5. However, it does stand on its own within the luxury sedan segment. In my opinion, the fact that the B8 A4 has outsold its competitors in many countries can be attributed in large part to it being a sedan that does carry a lot of design cues from an extremely well-designed sport coupe (not to mention the fact that it now has more interior room and is more fuel efficient than many of its competitors). The detailed front fascia, rounded front-to-hood shape, broad shoulders, seamless transition from the C-pillar to the trunk top, shorter trunk top, slight spoiler protrusion at the trunk end, wide tail lights, flared fenders, and the lower-body line that starts low and gradually sweeps upward toward the rear are all styling cues from the A5/S5 but are not typical on a 4-door. The fact that the B8 A4 is defined by these elements makes it stand out in its segment, and I think will help it stay fresh longer as a sedan.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the profile of the A5 looks very American. Specifically, it resembles the late model Dodge Charger.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another point I want to throw into the equation is there's a common thinking that the latest design is always the best and going to be more timeless than the last. It's just the nature of the newest thing being the most advance, fresh, and modern. I recall when the B6 and B7 came out, similar questions were posed and each time we claimed the latest was going to stand the test of time better. Probably the same with the B8. I'll admit I'm guilty of this thinking too. =)

Quick Reply: B8 A4 Design Commentary