A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Backup camera feedback please

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup camera feedback please

Ok, even though I had emphasized to my dealer when placing my A4 MT 2.0T Prestige order that the backup camera/sensors were very important to me, the dealer didn't stay on top of the changes for MY2010 and failed to add that package to my build when NAV got pulled into the prestige package.

So, even though I called to check that it was included, I just got told that the car is hitting port in the next few days and will not include the driver assist package. Grrr....

While I don't care about the side assist function, I do care about the backup sensor camera. Now, to the point of this post (thanks for letting me vent!)... how important is the backup camera to those that have it?

What I'm thinking of doing is simply adding aftermarket (or Audi installed) parking sensors. I think I can live without the backup camera as I've never had one.

My only other alternative is to wait under 3+ months for a new car to be built! Thanks for your feedback.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joesky
Ok, even though I had emphasized to my dealer when placing my A4 MT 2.0T Prestige order that the backup camera/sensors were very important to me, the dealer didn't stay on top of the changes for MY2010 and failed to add that package to my build when NAV got pulled into the prestige package.

So, even though I called to check that it was included, I just got told that the car is hitting port in the next few days and will not include the driver assist package. Grrr....

While I don't care about the side assist function, I do care about the backup sensor camera. Now, to the point of this post (thanks for letting me vent!)... how important is the backup camera to those that have it?

What I'm thinking of doing is simply adding aftermarket (or Audi installed) parking sensors. I think I can live without the backup camera as I've never had one.

My only other alternative is to wait under 3+ months for a new car to be built! Thanks for your feedback.
It's my first car with it.. my parents have it on their SUV's... i'd say the camera is more useful for SUV's since their trunk door blocks a lot of low things behind them. I find it pretty useful.. but theres no substitute for turning around.

Couldn't you pick up a similar packaged car at the end of August when the MY10's are released to dealers?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm sure you can learn to park without it.. buy yourself something nice with the money saved!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ports
Couldn't you pick up a similar packaged car at the end of August when the MY10's are released to dealers?
Unfortunately there are were no MT Prestige Aruba Blue's around in 2009 and I doubt there will be any for 2010 either. But I have asked the dealer to check just in case.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately there are were no MT Prestige Aruba Blue's around in 2009 and I doubt there will be any for 2010 either. But I have asked the dealer to check just in case.
Actually... call several dealers... I didn't buy from this guy, but he was really useful. Earl @ Plaza Audi in St. Louis. He helped me locate a few of the 09 P+/Nav Aruba Blue's for me.

What I figured out was that when 1 dealer searched the "whole state" for me and didn't find any cars... I could call a guy 100 miles away, and he'd be able to find the car... Kinda hinky..

And if someone tells you they can get the car, or find it, make sure you get the VIN before you waste any time with them.. Good luck searching!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't say the backup camera is necessary, but I really like having it. I didn't originally intend to get it with my A5, and I didn't think I'd want it, but it came on the only car available that met my other requirements. Perhaps it works better for the smaller rear viewing area of the A5, but I find it to be very useful.

The best part is the lines on the camera display that show you the exact path of the car as you turn the wheel. I find I can park the car much more precisely with the camera than I can by just looking backward. The sensors are nice, but you can see well enough with the camera that you don't even really need them.

I do like it, but I don't know if I'd wait an extra few months just to get it. As for the side assist, I don't really see much need for that at all, at least for the way that I drive.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks to all for your responses. Seems like the feature is very useful to have, but not quite a necessity. My current car doesn't have sensors or a camera but my previous car had the sensors which is what I miss.

Hobbes, I agree with your thinking that this isn't something I'll want to wait a few extra months for. Plus, part of me actually likes the fact that the side assist isn't included as that drove me crazy during a test drive.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

There are times when I find it's useful. I would say the parallel parking assist is helpful as I suck at parking...
Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like the feature is very useful to have, but not quite a necessity.
You hit the nail on the head. It's one of those things that is kind of cool and useful every once in a while, but doesn't make or break my driving experience. I typically only use the camera to determine how close I am to a curb, bush, hedge, etc. when backing into a parking spot. This is my first car with parking sensors or backup camera and I'm definitely glad I have the sensors, but wish they were also on the front bumper.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with Blake in regards to having it on the front bumper.. However, I find it very helpful and but not a necessity. Its something you will end up appreciating. Just like the Advanced Key and Side assist mirrors.

Quick Reply: Backup camera feedback please