A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Beige leather rear seats turning weird grayish patchy color?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Beige leather rear seats turning weird grayish patchy color?

So I'm sure nobody here has this and I just have bad luck or something happened I'm not aware of BUT...

I noticed a few days ago that the rear passenger seats, specifically the seat cushions have patches that are grayish in color and not beige. Further, the area of the seat cushion that you rest the back of your calf muscles/knees on are especially gray/dark in color.

The rear seat backs, headrest, middle seat and everything on the front seats is in perfect condition. My rear seats rarely get usage and this is very odd.

I use McGuires Leather cleaner on all the seats and it works well. I haven't had anything on the seats I know of that could cause this. In a small area of it, I even tried a little non-acetone nail polish remover to see if it was a stain that could be removed but no joy.

I'm going to take it into the dealer to see what they say but it's very puzzling. Anybody ever hear or know of something similar ever? I'm hoping it's something that's easy to remedy.

Anybody have any other ideas to try?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying an entire panel or piece of leather is a different color? Or just isolated regions within a leather panel? Could it be suntan lotion?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Areas of a leather panel not the entire thing. Definitely not sun tan lotion. Any other ideas? I've read some people using brillo pads and all kinds of crazy stuff but the issue is I have no clue what it is I'm dealing with.

I guess I just need to find some time to take it to the dealer and see if they can figure out what it could be.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:15 PM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it photograph???
Old 05-12-2009, 04:34 PM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default A very foolish possibility - and I feel stupid for mentioning it....

...but is it possible that it isn't a stain at all but a shadow? I assume that you checked it in different lighting conditions.

Often, light through the security glass throws oddball shadows that'll often look like stains or spots...
Old 05-12-2009, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A photo would help. If you had Alcantara, I would just tell you to use your hand and wipe the fibers in the other direction, LOL.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here are some quick pics I took with my point and shoot. i don't have a DSLR and it's at night...maybe when it's sunny out I can try taking some in natural light. It's not easy to see but to me it's obvious the markings/areas that are offcolor. Again I have no clue what could have caused this in the way it has except bad leather????

Old 05-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Light colored leather, especially beige or white are notorious for attracting the dye from new jeans. If you have had any passengers in the back seats recently, that could be your problem.

If that is the case, I know that Leather Masters Strong cleaner can remove it.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:24 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Odd - methinks a new piece of leather is in your future...
Old 05-13-2009, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Louge
Light colored leather, especially beige or white are notorious for attracting the dye from new jeans. If you have had any passengers in the back seats recently, that could be your problem.

If that is the case, I know that Leather Masters Strong cleaner can remove it.
Is the Leather Masters Strong cleaner special in any way? I've tried using both Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Spray (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+G10916) and non-acetone based nail polish remover on the areas that are off color and neither does anything.

Do you think a Pep boys would carry the Leather Masters strong cleaner? If not, any similar products that are more common in stores like that?

I'm willing to try it out but not sure if there's something special about that cleaner that would remove this. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Beige leather rear seats turning weird grayish patchy color?