A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Beige leather rear seats turning weird grayish patchy color?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Send an email with a picture to Leatherique....

...they may be able to point you in the right direction http://www.leatherique.com/
Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mobilehavoc
Is the Leather Masters Strong cleaner special in any way?
It's been known among the detailing industry to be the best at removing stubborn stains and dye from clothing on leather. And I've seen it work (I used to work for a detailing company).

"Strong Effect Cleaner - Leather Master's "Strong Cleaner" is arguably the most powerful leather cleaner on the market. The water based formula removes ground in soil and water based stains. It can even remove blue jean transfer with a few light, repeated applications. Clothing dye normally shows as a greyish bloom in seat area. This is usually caused by dark dye transferring from clothing. Particularly avoid brand new (i.e. never been washed) denim jeans, damp knitwear etc. (for regular cleaning use Soft Cleaner) Dye transfer (from jeans, leather belts, etc)can be very difficult to remove; the longer it is on the leather the harder it will be to remove."
- quote from DetailingWiki.com
http://detailingwiki.com/index.php5?...e_Leather_Care

I don't know of any retail outlets that carry it, but I've seen it online at detailersdomain http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...ROD&ProdID=197

Personally, I've never had the need to get a bottle cause I've always had black or dark colored leather seats in my cars, so Lexol serves me well.

I can't really tell much from your pictures, but if it looks like some sort of dye transfer, you could give Leather Master Strong cleaner a try.

Good luck.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Louge
It's been known among the detailing industry to be the best at removing stubborn stains and dye from clothing on leather. And I've seen it work (I used to work for a detailing company).

"Strong Effect Cleaner - Leather Master's "Strong Cleaner" is arguably the most powerful leather cleaner on the market. The water based formula removes ground in soil and water based stains. It can even remove blue jean transfer with a few light, repeated applications. Clothing dye normally shows as a greyish bloom in seat area. This is usually caused by dark dye transferring from clothing. Particularly avoid brand new (i.e. never been washed) denim jeans, damp knitwear etc. (for regular cleaning use Soft Cleaner) Dye transfer (from jeans, leather belts, etc)can be very difficult to remove; the longer it is on the leather the harder it will be to remove."
- quote from DetailingWiki.com
http://detailingwiki.com/index.php5?...e_Leather_Care

I don't know of any retail outlets that carry it, but I've seen it online at detailersdomain http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...ROD&ProdID=197

Personally, I've never had the need to get a bottle cause I've always had black or dark colored leather seats in my cars, so Lexol serves me well.

I can't really tell much from your pictures, but if it looks like some sort of dye transfer, you could give Leather Master Strong cleaner a try.

Good luck.
So I ordered it from Detailers Domain. I'll try it out when it gets here. I also truly feel it's dye transfer and I was going to take it to the dealer but I doubt they'll do anything about it.

I figure I'll wait for the Leathermaster to show up, try it out and if all else fails I can take it to the dealer then and see what they say.

I hope it isn't a pain removing it though.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mobilehavoc
So I ordered it from Detailers Domain. I'll try it out when it gets here..........
I hope it isn't a pain removing it though.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So I got the cleaner today and I spent about half the bottle on the seats. While it didn't remove the dye stains, it definitely seems to have lightened them quite a bit which is good.

I'll probably reapply what's left over the course of the next few weeks to see if it helps more. I think at this point I'm going to let it go.

I love my B8 but god damn, every day it makes me glad I leased instead of bought.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, at least it's lighter than before and you can say you did your best with it. Dye stains are very hard to remove.