A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Best options? Nav or no nav?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best options? Nav or no nav?

Is the navigation system worth getting? I think the interior looks so much better with it because of where the controls are placed. I'm almost tempted to get it just for that, but I use navigation all the time, so I'm guessing having it built it in would be a major advantage over my Garmin.

It would be a no-brainier at 1k, but $2500 is pretty steep. Right now I'm thinking: phantom black, premium+, sports package, nav. About $9k in options, pretty pricey, so I'm looking to cut what is non-essential, but also want to get what I want, so I may just get em all. Any thoughts?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You want it, go for it. Especially since you say you use it. You'll be regretting it later if you don't. IMO it completes the car... especially a P+ or Prestige.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I personally think the essentials are B&O and Nav. Tech and ADS being tied for second place. I agree with you that the center console looks much more luxurious and complete with the Nav. But I couldn't afford any Nav models (which tends to come loaded with everything else as well).
Old 06-30-2009, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not sure how your financing the car (cash/finance/lease), but either way, get it. If you're "buying" the car, it will help with resale. If you're leasing it, you're not paying $2,500 for it.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm in sales and am on the road a couple of times a week and I still skipped the nav in my car. I have nav in my Tahoe and had it in my previous car, both of which I use/used once every 2-3 months. So I couldn't justify spending another $2+K for something that I use less than 5 times a year. My I-phone helps me out when needed plus it's portable, unlike a fixed nav in the vehicle. But the one thing that is nice about the nav is the backup camera which does come in handy. Best advice is that if you even remotely think you're going to kick yourself in the *** for not getting it, then get it.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you use NAV "all the time" then you should get it.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

IMO the backup camera is easily worth getting the nav package alone. This has been one of my favorite features in the car, to the point where i hardly look in the rearview mirror while backing up, and miss it whenever i drive any other car. Also, as it has been said, the buttons on the console look SO MUCH better... yet another reason to go for it.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got the Nav and love it's convenience. It's not as good as many portable GPS...eg. no street names called out but the integration with the sound sys makes a difference. The backup camera with park assist is helpful too. It's definately a luxury.
I bought the A4 Avant Premium as a step down in size only, with no compromise in luxury or technology.
The options I went with are: Nav, technology and sport pakages on my Ibis White on Beige/wood interior.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$2500 and no touch screen = skip, unless you absolute must have the "built-in" look.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I went for it despite being an occasional user.

[1] It really improves the interior look IMHO and the repositioned controller makes life much easier.
[2] The screen is better than non Nav cars
[3] It integrates with your contacts list
[4] On MY2010 the Voice control is very good
[5] In the UK many people are having cars broken into for portable units. Just the ring on the window is enough for these ******* to smash a window.
[6] It's a gadget

If the screen and the controller positions were the same as a Nav car then I may not have gone for it....but they're not.

Quick Reply: Best options? Nav or no nav?