A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Blew a Flat , Need New Tires - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew a Flat , Need New Tires - Suggestions?

I have over 35K miles on my P6's and the rear driver-side blew a flat earlier this morning so now it's time to replace all 4 =0(

I was thinking Continental ExtremeContact DWS (245/45ZR17). They seem to be rated rather high on Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS

Approx $550 shipped, not the worst deal.

Anyone have any thoughts or other suggestions?

- Chris
Old 05-18-2010, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Time to get those V708s?
Old 05-18-2010, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

thats the tire i wanted originally, theres a video on tirerack that shows how good they are, but if your getting new wheels just wait.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePiombino
I have over 35K miles on my P6's and the rear driver-side blew a flat earlier this morning so now it's time to replace all 4 =0(

I was thinking Continental ExtremeContact DWS (245/45ZR17). They seem to be rated rather high on Tire Rack:

- Chris
They seem to be good tires. I've heard good things about the (more expensive) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Also consider getting tires at a place like Costco if you have a membership, they throw in road hazard coverage for free and mounting is usually cheaper (assuming you are keeping your wheels).
Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePiombino

- Chris
I've been looking these as well. Let us know how they work out if you get them. What size wheel are you running?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Put some proper summer tires instead? With all the mods you've got, that's the least you could do.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
equ
AudiWorld Member

If you are planning on modding suspension and having a dedicated winter set, getting a summer tire makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, get any one of the better all-seasons. I had the conti extreme contact (CEC) before the DWS came out and I ended up disliking them, on two different cars as well. I think mich p/s a/s, potenza 960 a/s (my gf commutes in nj on these) and p-zero nero a/s are just better tires in that category, but they are more $$$.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi...
If your interested I'll sell you UHP 245/40 R18 Pirelli CINTURATO P7 Blackwall- Summer tires. These came with my Audi 2010 A4, I had them switched out with approx. 60 miles on them for all seasons.
If your interested send me a message.

Take care
Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I just put four of these on my wife's 2008 BMW (235 x 50 x 18's) -- they exceed, so far, in every way, the Yoko Advan S.4's I put on my '09 A4 (19" and 35 series). Plus they cost less.

Now, living in SW Ohio where MODERATE winters are the norm (some snow, some cold, but hardly extreme) -- I have found that the Audi quattro system and my driving habits are best served by an Ultra High Performance All Season tire. The tires that came with the A4 19" sport package are really 2 1/2 season tires as far as I'm concerned here in River City. Yes the MAX performance tires (Dunlops) that came with the A4 were great (for about 10,000 miles) -- sticky and pretty smooth and quiet. But, they like the temp to be above 45 and the tread wear is **** poor.

The UHP A/S tires for those of us weenies who do NOT use summer and winter tires and who do not track their cars and who drive on the damn pothole riddled Interstates are every bit the performance tire 98% of the time.

Now, if you do indeed want Max performance and you push your car regularly and frequently, well even the high buck Yoko S.4's will not impress you.

Overall though, for me, mild mannered Clark Kent (most of the time), the UHP tires are plenty sticky, quiet and triple digits speeds do not create any sensation of "being on the edge." OH, yea, the ones I have are W speed rated if that makes any difference.

No matter what you end up with have them road force balanced, 'specially with the 19" wheels.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. My initial thoughts were to go with the Continentals, run them for a couple of months, then upgrade to V708s (w/Summer tires). At that time the current setup would become my winter wheels/tires and the V708s (and whatever tire I go with) would be my summer setup.

However, I think what I'll do is get a set of all-seasons to hold me over in the interim and upgrade the exhaust first, then come back in a few months and revisit the new wheel idea.

Originally Posted by ItsDubC
Time to get those V708s?
I REALLY want to, but if I do that I have to do the coilovers and spacers as well. I don't think my fiance will be too keen on me dropping about $3K into the car right now with the wedding 2 1 /2 months away, lol.

But I like the way you think!

Quick Reply: Blew a Flat , Need New Tires - Suggestions?