A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

BMW 3 LCI/Facelift details published now, if anyone is interested.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 3 LCI/Facelift details published now, if anyone is interested.

Have some interesting announcements about the new iDrive setup, has a connected option for internet, PC downloads, etc... 80Gb HDD.

335i Touring was officially announced but I've heard its not coming to the US this year(if at all). Waiting on more details. Also the 330i has a HP bump to 272chp, should make the A4 vs 3Series a little more interesting now(no clue on prices for either platform here however).

The BMW announcement PDF is on bimmerfile.com this morning.<ul><li><a href="http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155730">New 3 series pics...</a></li></ul>
Old 07-11-2008, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: BMW 3 LCI/Facelift details published now, if anyone is interested.

Awesome photos.

I thought the 335d would not get the manual transmission? Maybe the photos were a bunch from various engine lineups.

Has anyone sat in the current 3 series and the incoming B8 A4? How is the roominess in the driver seat for taller folks?

I hope that Audi is watching and listening to what the US consumers want or they will have sales losses to BMW for sure.

Thanks for the photos.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default BMW always has better seats ...

... makes me want to go over to the <b>dark side.</b>
Old 07-11-2008, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Disagree, Audi has great seats just wish they'd bring the hardcore ones to the US.

in something other than the RS4.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:09 AM

Default Re: BMW 3 LCI/Facelift details published now, if anyone is interested.

To the best of my knowledge, the 335d will indeed be automatic only. Supposedly available for delivery [in the US] in November 08.

I've sat in a B8 [static display at the Detroit show] and currently own a 2008 328xi [e90]. I'm about 5'-11", 140lbs. My only complaint about the 'roominess' of the Audi's has been the lack of leg room in between the steering column and center console [had similar, but lesser issues with my TT as well]. Compared to the 3 [which, IMO has no problems whatsoever in this regard] the B8 is still a bit behind, but an improvement over my previous car, which was a B7.

I should note that although I've always found room around the Audi steering columns to be a bit tight, I've never been unable to find a comfortable/acceptable/proper driving position. Just getting the key/ignition switch off of the column would help quite a bit.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I really want to drive the B8 before I do anything this fall but the lack of

manuals is a killer for me. I'm hoping the B8S4 annos will be out before the end of August... the A4 v6 doesn't have enough beans for me(and no stick initally). I'm already looking at Dinan and a supposed 2009 3series ZHP BMW option for more boost if I go the BMW route.

No clue on the 335d other than it is going to be available late in the year.

The S5(if that is comperable) was very good on roominess, much better than the B6/B7 cabins which the console was a big pita for my leg. The E90 is roomy as well, I had no issues with either. I like the Audi S5 grain on the leather better than the 335is but if BMW offered the smooth grain like they do in the M3 I'd be done shopping, order in.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:14 AM

Default Very personal decision...

Both make very good seats.

That said, the sport seats in my e90 are much more to my liking [read: great bolstering, very sporty and supportive fit/feel] that *any* Audi seat I've ever sat in, including all S4's and an A5 w/sport seats that I test drove a month or two ago.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agree on most things. I haven't owned a BMW since 1990 so I'm waaay out of the loop on

the current seat comfort. They are very comfortable for the 30min or so that I've spent driving one, love the thigh panel and the adjustable bolsters. I don't know how they do for long stints though and thats where my current B5S4 seats really excel. I can spend the day in my S4 and not be tired, fatigued, etc. Current seats are awesome even with the lack of adjustments vs BMWs.

I have two friends now that have both jumped to 135s from B5S4s and both say the BMW seats are good but not as comfortable for trips like the Audis. Thats all I have to compare to so far.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Agree on most things. I haven't owned a BMW since 1990 so I'm waaay out of the loop on

Do you know if they have sport packages/seats or not?

Additionally, [at least one the 3] you have to buy the premium package to get adjustable lumbar support [regardless of what seating package you have]. I didn't get the premium pack, and don't miss the adjustable lumbar, but some folks that made similar choices report regretting it. I also skipped the power seats, as I'm essentially the only one who'll ever drive my car [GF won't drive a stick].

That said, I love the non-power, no-lumbar adjust sport seats...long trips, short trips, wherever you're going. Fantastic seats.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I suspect the narrow(er) rev band on a disel is better managed by an automatic...

I've got zero problems with Audi bringing over an automatic TDI. I've got a huge problem with them not bringing TDIs over at all. Shame on Audi if BMW beats them to market with a diesel here in the States.

Quick Reply: BMW 3 LCI/Facelift details published now, if anyone is interested.