A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Bridgestones???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridgestones???

I am searching for new tires for my Audi A4 2010 which will be arriving shortly. I am going for the 18inch VMR 708's, and i am really interested in putting the Bridgestone Potenza's RE-11 on them. Is this a bad idea?? And is it possible to find a Summer Performance tire with excellent traction in wet and dry conditions for $250 a tire?? Remember guys i am a newbie to this stuff. Next i will be asking about offset...
Old 05-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I assume you're looking for 245/40's. You might want to look at the Bridgestone Potenza RE050's. They're a little less expensive than the RE-11's ($233 vs. $253 per tire from Tire Rack), yet they were ranked #4 out of 22 UHP summer tires by Consumer Reports. (The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 took top honors, but it is $285/tire.) The RE050's performed very well in both wet and dry situations.

So, unless you live in some place like Florida, you know you'll eventually need winter tires too, right? And, not just because of snow/ice. The rubber compound of summer tires begins to harden when the temperature gets to around 40, so their grip is very compromised in cold weather, even when it's dry. I've not pulled the trigger yet on my winter set, but I'm thinking Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60's.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nicholasG78
I am searching for new tires for my Audi A4 2010 which will be arriving shortly. I am going for the 18inch VMR 708's, and i am really interested in putting the Bridgestone Potenza's RE-11 on them. Is this a bad idea?? And is it possible to find a Summer Performance tire with excellent traction in wet and dry conditions for $250 a tire?? Remember guys i am a newbie to this stuff. Next i will be asking about offset...
The RE-11's are a good tire. Of course, everything depends on what kind of driving you do and in what conditions. Did you need something for just daily spirited driving or were you also looking for a tire that can perform on the track?
Old 05-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VMRWheels
The RE-11's are a good tire. Of course, everything depends on what kind of driving you do and in what conditions. Did you need something for just daily spirited driving or were you also looking for a tire that can perform on the track?
No track driving. But some VERY spirited driving!! I am in NY so Summers can be wet or very hot and humid! I priced those Michelin's but all reports say i can get a comparable tire for a lot less than those Michelin's. I was thinking of taking the easy route and just buying the tire packages from Audi itself! But, i just wanted opinions of people who actually drove with these tires.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I priced those Michelin's but all reports say i can get a comparable tire for a lot less than those Michelin's.
Which reports are those?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tire-rack.com!!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tire-rack.com!!
I've never seen such test results on Tire Rack. Which tires are supposed to be as good as the PS2's yet so much less expensive?
Old 05-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No, that was my bad, it wasnt tire-rack.com. It was on tires-easy.com, they never really mentioned what "other" tires where comparable, but by reading the reviews, i am going to assume they were talking about the Bridgestone Potenza's, and the Goodyear Eagle F1's, which wouldnt be my first choice.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

when i was looking for a set of tires to go with my new wheels, i had my heart set on continental extreme dsw, but they were all on back order, it was one of the best all around tires. they were 136 each and they have a 50k warranty , one of the few that did in that size, but the hankook tires i ended up with are just great. itsdubc send me a pm with this links, and this tires might be what your looking for. at around 135 a tire in that size they are really hard to beat.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10

http://www.reifen-goeggel.de/website...d_14032008.pdf
Old 05-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor

Hankooks will be more than enough for spirited driving in NY. However my vote would go to the Continental DWS tires if you can find them in stock.

Quick Reply: Bridgestones???