A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Can I patch or plug this tire? Or is it KIA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I patch or plug this tire? Or is it KIA?

Found a screw in the shoulder tread block of the tire. Tire pressure is holding fine, but I know the screw went all the way through because it started hissing when I tried to back the screw out. Can this be repaired with a conventional plug or patch, or is it too close to the sidewall?

If I require a new tire, do I need to buy a pair to avoid upsetting the Quattro/ABS, etc? Or can I just buy one replacement tire since I only have 5XXX miles on the set of tires so far (since buying the car new)?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no tire expert, but I have fixed a number of my own tires. I've had very good luck with the do-it-yourself tire plug kits. I'd say it's fixable. If you're concerned that it is too close to the sidewall take it to a tire shop. They typically won't patch it for you if it is unsafe to do so.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always been told that patching the shoulder portion is a no-no, but don't really understand what the difference is. I suggest taking it to the pros and see what they say. As for buying 1 or 2, I think you would probably get away with 1 since I doubt the tires are very worn after only 5k miles.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

As for whether or not to fix it, I'd take the advice of others here and have a tire shop take a look and advise. If you have to replace it, one should be fine. I blew out a Pirelli P6 A/S at about the same 5K mileage and replaced just the one tire on my B8. Not sure of the actual spec for difference (you could search for it) but the variance in circumference after 5K miles is within Audi quattro tolerance according to my dealer.
Hopefully, it's fixable.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine had an interesting experience -- was on vacation and had something damage the tire right at the tread/sidewall junction. Took it to a small town repair shop and told the owner he thought he probably needed a new tire because of the location. The owner looked at him sort of funny and asked him why he would say that. He replied that he had gotten this type of damage before and the tire shop told him damage on or near the sidewall can't be repaired.

The owner just nodded and told him "Son, ... tire shops like to SELL TIRES" and then proceeded to put a patch on his tire. So far he hasn't had any problem.

I understand why this type of damage would be harder to repair, and my friend may find a flat some morning soon, but I'm not sure the old tale of near sidewall damage being "unrepairable" is still true.

I think I've had a plug about there or slightly farther toward the sidewall.

Hope it's fixable -- let us know what you find.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Repair a tire? What are you thinking? For a $ 150. tire you risk having a flat that could ruin a $500 to $1,000 wheel, worse yet get you into an accident. Why take a chance with your life with a cobbled tire?

Get a new tire, and get some of that nitrogen fill, it will save money.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I picked up a nail in the first 100 miles with the new car. Mine was a bit more centered in the tread though. The garage applied a simple plug, and I drove to the local tire shop where they put a proper vulcanized patch on the inside of the tire. My tire place has always taken very good care of me, but I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to push a new tire if they thought it was at all necessary. And at $275 a piece from TireRack before mounting and balancing, that's an expensive hunk of rubber to throw in the trash.

- Jason
Old 05-06-2009, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to update anyone who is interested, I took the car to a tire guy that I trust (he's hooked me up several times in the past, and never tried to sell me anything that I didn't need). He said it's closer to the sidewall than what they considered safe to repair, but he said they could try if I wanted them to. But he advised against it, considering how **** he knows I am about my cars and how expensive the wheel would be to replace should something happen. I don't question his motives, as he can't even get his hands on that model/size tire, so he had nothing to sell me other than a non-matching tire, which he knew I wouldn't go for. So I ordered a replacement Dunlop from Gary@TireRack and it will be here in a couple days. Once the old tire is off, I will ask them to see if it's worth repairing and keeping around the house as a full-size spare to use in a pinch.

Last edited by BMWBig6; 05-06-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

A smart move as even if you could have had it fixed, from what I've read, the speed rating of the tire would be reduced. Believe me, you don't want a blow out at 80 mph on the interstate. Been there, done that. Sheer terror for about 15 seconds if, when it happens, you're in the left lane with a semi on your right.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:55 PM
equ
AudiWorld Member

Certainly no patch as that part of the tire may flex.. I've had two porsche PS2's plugged with no issues. I think if a plug doesn't hold, it is likely to be a slow leak, sort of like the screw itself. It won't catastrophically come out, but a patch... Umm, I wouldn't trust that.

Quick Reply: Can I patch or plug this tire? Or is it KIA?