A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Car is burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any turbocharged engine burns oil. Audi burs an excessive amount of oil due to (09-10) faulty rings and clogged pcm valve. Audi has a a two stage program for that. stage one is to replace PCM valve and a crankshaft seal if that doesn't fix it then with stage two you get new rings and pistons. BTW: all 09's get stage two regardless, mine had it done even though I didn't burn nearly as much oil as some of the other members here. Visit your dealer again and have them contact AOA if they refuse to at least do a stage one.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AutoRacer100
I've heard BMW X5 burns oil badly also.

my parents actually own nothing but bmws.

mom has a 2011 X5 with an N55 in it. doesnt' burn a drop.

my cousin also has an 2010 A4 ( 1 month younger than my car) and he's already gone through stage 1 of the fix.

this is just outright bull****. theres so many other companies that have 2.0 L turbo i-4s now, and there arent widespread problems with burning oil (ford, hyundai, bmw, GM). hell my car on top of burning oil has already had the exhaust system and a fuel injector replaced. this is already by far the most problematic car i've owned, and i'm taking it in for stage 1 next week.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vtheman
Any turbocharged engine burns oil. Audi burs an excessive amount of oil due to (09-10) faulty rings and clogged pcm valve. Audi has a a two stage program for that. stage one is to replace PCM valve and a crankshaft seal if that doesn't fix it then with stage two you get new rings and pistons. BTW: all 09's get stage two regardless, mine had it done even though I didn't burn nearly as much oil as some of the other members here. Visit your dealer again and have them contact AOA if they refuse to at least do a stage one.
This is not limited to the 09-10 years it started with the 2.0 engine. The 1.8's did not have this much of a problem. It's just poor engine design and assembly. We are at 2500 miles per qt. with 30,000 miles on our 09. It's a nice car for my kid but I would never get one for myself. I've had sports cars all of my live and have never had any burn a qt of oil in 5000 miles. Even my old Ferrari doesn't burn that much.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy a few extra cans of oil and keep them in the trunk. Problem solved. This issue has been beaten to death.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ports
Just buy a few extra cans of oil and keep them in the trunk. Problem solved. This issue has been beaten to death.

yeah just do that until the burned oil in your exhaust destroys the catalyst in your catalytic converter. like my car!

then you can have audi fix it, and have to replace your entire exhaust system, waste an entire week, while they rent you a toyota yaris because they never have loaner cars.

boom. audi luxury!

Last edited by hans007; 11-20-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

All forced induction cars burn more oil than n/a cars. I have a lot of experience with turbo cars (I messed around with engine swapped 240sx's to Japanese Silvia engines when I was younger) and I can tell you that 1 quart per oil change (roughly) is not bad at all. It's either something that you will have to accept with a forced induction, or get into something n/a.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hans007
yeah just do that until the burned oil in your exhaust destroys the catalyst in your catalytic converter. like my car!

then you can have audi fix it, and have to replace your entire exhaust system, waste an entire week, while they rent you a toyota yaris because they never have loaner cars.

boom. audi luxury!
You should be driving a Camry. It's not that big a deal douchebag.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Crucible35
You should be driving a Camry. It's not that big a deal douchebag.
the audi apologists on these audi boards is just sad.

to build a mainstream engine that burns oil at the rate this one does is just sad engineering.

you pay $45k for a car that allegedly they actually tested.

it has multiple drivetrain components fail. i had one of my fuel injectors fail and nearly strand me in the ghetto in LA on an 8 month old A4 on top of the oil burning and exhaust replacement and i was on my way to the stage 2 fix for the pistons. i also had the low speed steering column shudder issue (probably the least big deal out of all of them).

so when is it an actual big deal? when your car actually explodes on the freeway and catches fire or somethig? would that actually be enough to not defend audi? or are we supposed to blindly defend this brand ?

the only people who had it worse than 2010 owners were... 2009 A4 owners! they had the front control arm problem too on top of the defective pistons.

Last edited by hans007; 12-02-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROC95
All forced induction cars burn more oil than n/a cars. I have a lot of experience with turbo cars (I messed around with engine swapped 240sx's to Japanese Silvia engines when I was younger) and I can tell you that 1 quart per oil change (roughly) is not bad at all. It's either something that you will have to accept with a forced induction, or get into something n/a.
Early turo cars were using components "borrowed" from heavy duty diesel trucks. There was a lot to be desired in those adapted systems.

Modern turbo and compressor systems have been engineered for gasoline engines. The electronics, intercoolers, and advances in bearing technology have all but eliminated "turbo lag" and high oil consumption through the turbo shaft bearing.

Audi(really VW) refuses to license technology that would allow the cylinders walls to be fully machined when it is assembled. When cylinder bores are machined a crosshatch pattern is left to hold lubication on the walls as the piston rings slide by. VW uses a century old technique that depends on the rings to shear off the peaks of the crosshatching. A more modern approach uses an extra step called plannar honing to cut the peaks off in a precision manner, allowing the rings to be properly seated at first run. VW expects the owner to do this work during the first 5,000 miles of ownership. Mercedes cars on the other hand are delivered to the owner fully machined, and their forced induction cars consume no more oil than the N/A versions.

Today's technology means we do not need to accept high oil consumption as "normal."
Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hans007

boom. audi luxury!
That is an experience with your dealer..

The one I use. I went in to have my drivers door latch replaced 2 weeks ago, and they loaned me a 2012 black A4 Quattro P+ with Nav and S-Line.

Quick Reply: Car is burning oil