A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

clunk/thunk noise coming from rear of car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i took my car in this morning. unfortunately the receptionist who i called, is a moron and forgot to put my appointment in the system.

she actually was there, and remembered me talking about my shocks making noise, then just turned around like nothing was wrong about her forgetting to put it in and left while the service advisor guy was very apologetic.

so i guess i will be going back there on thursday since the service guy put my appointment in. great receptionist there oakland audi.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hans007
well i took my car in this morning. unfortunately the receptionist who i called, is a moron and forgot to put my appointment in the system.

she actually was there, and remembered me talking about my shocks making noise, then just turned around like nothing was wrong about her forgetting to put it in and left while the service advisor guy was very apologetic.

so i guess i will be going back there on thursday since the service guy put my appointment in. great receptionist there oakland audi.
Was she at least hot?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
Was she at least hot?
haha no not in the least.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HAWC1506
Yes they should offer a loaner. However, be prepared for a back-order of parts, and it might take 10 days or so. But the faulty strut wasn't a safety issue, so they let me continue driving the car until the part arrived. It should only take a day to fix.
well i road tested it with the technician and they are pretty sure its a strut already and have to order that part.

apparently they do not have that many loaner cars, so they just gave me an a4 avant to drive for the entire time. the service advisor was like, well we dont really want you coming in and out of here over and over and we already got the loaner reserved.

so not, bad...the loaner had the sport package too so i can get an idea how this car drives before mine is broken in . great service from the advisors though, i'd say outside of the receptionist i've had some really nice people help me there.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bainetree
Hi,

I have what sounds like the same hollow clunk coming from the right rear of my '10 A4 (delivery, 12/31/09), now with about 850 miles. Two weeks ago the dealer isolated it, they claim, to the *left* rear shock. The part was ordered and tomorrow (Tues) morning they will replace it. We'll see if they got the right part and side. I'll post with results.

-Dave
UPDATE THURSDAY: On Tues, the tech R&R'd the left rear shock. Sad to say there was no improvement. Back to the dealer on Wed and the mechanic was riding around in my trunk while I drove (made him almost sea sick). He was able to verify the clunk now apparently coming from the right shock. New shock on order, to be installed probably next week. BTW, according to the tech and service rep, there's a service bulletin out on rear shocks.

-Dave
Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

sounds like if its a hollow clunk sound its a shock.

and if its a click clack sound its a strut.

or well i told the service advisor it is more a clacking sound like 2 very large pieces of wood running into each other. and he said that doesnt sound like a shock.

so i guess its 2 different things.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

so apparently, the dealer that sold me the car, did not remove one of the shipping blocks in the suspension for when they transport a car.

so they took it out and gave me my car back.

so at least its just a dealer fault and not an actual broken part.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bainetree
the mechanic was riding around in my trunk while I drove
I would die to meet the guy. I've never heard of anything like that!

So the noise is gone now?
Old 02-05-2010, 03:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You guys, who have this problem, do you have Sedan or Avant?

I have similar clunking sound coming from the right rear in my Avant and I know a couple of other guys who have the same problem. You are talking about "strut" in this thread, what part is that?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BuzzL
You guys, who have this problem, do you have Sedan or Avant?

I have similar clunking sound coming from the right rear in my Avant and I know a couple of other guys who have the same problem. You are talking about "strut" in this thread, what part is that?
Hi,

1) Mine's a sedan.
2) See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacPherson_strut for a nice series of images and text that answer your question.

Regards,
Dave