A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Considering A4 - GTI comparison, sport suspension and B&O stereo worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sundowner
I've driven both a P w/o sport and a P+ w ti sport long term and must say that the sport and seats are well worth it, IMO. I love my current A4 P+ Ti. I couldn't care less about the B&O stereo, but that's me.

If you really like the GTI but want an Audi badge on it, you can get that. It's called the A3. My wife has one and the little bugger is every bit as nimble as the GTI with room for a bit more junk in the trunk and customer service that doesn't suck. I've owned VW's in recent histroy and I can tell you first hand that the width of a VW service rep's desk is 2" wider than I can reach out with both hands. I assume this was deliberate.
So have I and I have more trouble with Audi than VW's. And the reliability ratings show that too as Audi was below VW by a lot.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scottschapiro
It is not so much the badge (which I couldn't care less about) but the look. I have always had a thing for the look of the GTI, all the way back to the MK I. The A3 just doesn't do it for me. Plus, the suspension isn't as sophisticated.

I just need to figure out which vehicle will satisfy me the best over the course of ownership.
The A3 has old technology and while the GTI has way way more than the current A3 has available. It is due for a make over and not worth it.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spooling_A4
Can't compare a MKV vs a MK6 and the Audi A4. The MK6 was upgraded dramatically in the quality, stereo, and reliability department since your 06 came out. The MKV had a terrible stereo where the DynAudio just blows it away in the MK6. The GTI overall has newer TECH vs the current A4 in many areas and is worth looking at as I also cross shopped both cars and got the GTI because for the money, I got more. An equally equipped A4 was almost $10k more.
I respectfully disagree with your analysis of the MKV and MKVI. Having driven 10000+ miles in both, I have yet to conclude the de-contented MKVI is better in any way, with the possible exception of a slightly more relable engine and AC system, and road noise. (My MKV never had the cam follower issues, did have an AC compressor changed under warranty)

I'm not bothered by the idea that you prefer your MKVI. It's an excellent car, as I noted. But it's better described as a mid-cycle refresh than a wholy new model. It's quieter with a better engine. That's about all the praise I can give it, as noted I had spent $200 on an Alpine that made for a far better aural experience with completely stock speakers in the MKV, where as the Dynaudio is good, but not any better.

I'm not sure how you think the tech in the GTI is better than the Audi, in any way shape or form. I did slightly prefer the touchscreen nav, but once you're familiar with the MMI, it's a hands down winner.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd avoid Sport Suspension...a couple reasons. Comfort, slighter higher ride (won't bump you front spoiler on curbs/parking/dips in road), and cheaper,more durable tires/rims. I see you live in Florida, so most of your roads are straight and not hilly...some people love sport seats, others are ambivalent. I do like the sport steering wheel, however!

Definitely get the B&O system if you like music...I didn't and regret it. Of course, you need a p+ package, so it will be a little pricier as well.

I loved the GTI...it has the best steering wheel I've ever used, I love the cloth seats and is a blast to drive. Plus, as you said, it is 10K cheaper and includes maintenance. My wife hated it, and I ended up getting a Prius instead. (Don't ask )

The A4 is a great car, but I don't think it's worth all the extra premiums/extras...you get the same engine, so it's going to be basically the same car...while the engine is terrific, it's not in the same league as say a BMW 335. Its a terrific sub 40K car...over that, and I think you're paying too much for what is basically a 4 cylinder car!

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY AN AUDI WITHOUT QUATTRO!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by manku
The A4 is a great car, but I don't think it's worth all the extra premiums/extras...you get the same engine, so it's going to be basically the same car...while the engine is terrific, it's not in the same league as say a BMW 335. Its a terrific sub 40K car...over that, and I think you're paying too much for what is basically a 4 cylinder car!
I don't think you realize that the A4 and the 335 are in different classes. The A4 is comparable to the 328 whereas the 335 is comparable to the S4. And in both cases, I would stick with the Audi. But this is a GTI thread, and I digress..
Old 08-16-2011, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 551 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by manku
The A4 is a great car, but I don't think it's worth all the extra premiums/extras...you get the same engine, so it's going to be basically the same car...
The GTI and the A4 both have a 2.0T, but they do not have the same exact engine. If you disagree, look at the torque curve for each.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
The GTI and the A4 both have a 2.0T, but they do not have the same exact engine. If you disagree, look at the torque curve for each.
Yes, they do have different motors, with the A4 having the advantage in both HP and (to a much greater extent) torque. However, the A4 does have to carry around an extra 500lbs, which does negate the power advantage.

My "seat-of-the-pants" test driving experience says that their straight-line performance is about equal and it would not be a deciding factor in my buying decision.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The valve-lifted 2.0T in the B8 A4 is better in every way but ya, drivetrains will be different. For me, having Quattro is worth the extra weight. I do feel that the B8 A4 is too big sometimes tho.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default GTI Quattro would cannibalize Audi significantly

Originally Posted by PDong
The GTI is a great car for the money, but I was ready for an upgrade to quattro. No disappointment with the engine, and better fit and finish.
If VW offered at GTI with 4-motion for ~$2k more, I'd gladly buy one over an Audi. I know, you'll say that it's called the Audi A3, but the A3 doesn't come with that magic combination of manual AND Quattro. I know many, many people who live in cold, rainy, snowy climates who would gladly pay a little extra for a GTI with all-wheel drive, but VW/Audi must be afraid of cannibalizing A3 and A4 sales.

Just for reference, I had a 1998 Audi A4 2.8Q, had a 2006 BMW 330Cic manual, and currently drive a 2006 BMW X3 m-sport, manual. The X3 is a big car, and living in downtown Seattle, I'd love to have something smaller. The new GTI is a great size, great package, and solid value. All-wheel drive would clinch it.

-James
Seattle, WA
Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Both Sport and B&O are a must and IMHO a steal...

Quick Reply: Considering A4 - GTI comparison, sport suspension and B&O stereo worth it?