A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Considering new Audi - are there any good stories?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering new Audi - are there any good stories?

the only thing holding me back on a new A4 or perhaps A5 is all the 'trouble' reports on these cars? I have never owned an Audi - can they be as bad as they are reported to be?

Some of the posts I think have to be fake, or they drove the car so hard that they got the results they were asking for but some are just plain alarming..... a trans filter problem that can't be replaced for weeks? Whatever happen to Fedex?

So, are there any good stories out there about Audi or has everyone bought a bum car that looks nice? I have had good experience with the last 4 cars that I have bought (never owned German) but my Dodge Durango, 2 Subarus have been flawless. I need some confidence that I can expect a reliable car with an Audi.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was in the same boat as you but I ended up ordering. I went as far as paying for advice from an Audi master technician. He said honda was worse than audi and said everything is top notch with these cars.
Remember, sludge issues were with the 1.8T not the 2.0 TFSI they currently use.

I just got a 100K warranty just to be safe.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by goshjup
.....went as far as paying for advice from an Audi master technician. He said honda was worse than audi and said everything is top notch with these cars.....
Tell me more about your statement? How does one pay for this advice? Why would an Audi tech be unbiased?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hwks1
Tell me more about your statement? How does one pay for this advice? Why would an Audi tech be unbiased?
Justanswer.com was where I went. I will copy a paragraph.
BTW, they don't get payed until you are satisfied and you can keep the conversation going until you are satisfied.
This is only part of the conversation and it was only a few bucks. He was wrong on the horse power but I asked some good questions later that made me feel he was legit. Only a mechanic would know.

"Hi my name is Joe. I worked on Honda cars for nearly 18 years and now I work on Audis. I thought that Honda was the best made car for the markets that they were in. Including Acura. But there is NO comparison when it comes to the Audi. The Audi is way above the Honda in engineering leadership and comfort and drivibilty and handling, and did I say comfort? Really, the main thing is that Audi packs alot of detail into every car they make. You are getting what you pay for. The Honda (Acura) is always a compromise to meet the best of the market. Don't get me wrong, I like Acura. But the Acura is outclassed. As for reliability, Audi's hold up very well. Especially when you consider what is involved in the car itself. I really like the A4 and like the A5 better (for looks). The 2.0 liter engine makes 230hp but makes almost 260 foot pounds of torque! All of Audi's engines are superb! Thanks for choosing Just Answer, Joe.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I was a dedicated Honda/Acura guy for the last 18 years, but wanted to go a little more upscale and sporty. I've had my A4 2.0T since 9/08 and have 18k+ miles on it now - other than the well-documented control-arm issue (I had mine replaced and have been vibration free for several months now), I've had no problems with the car.

It's a fun-to-drive car that puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel, is loaded with nice features (P+ model), and is solidly built. If you live in a state that gets snow, the quattro can't be beat, and also provides great year-round handling. Assuming my A4 continues to treat me well in the years ahead, I'm already planning on doing European-delivery of my next Audi!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

My first Audi: 1978 Audi 5000. My current Audi: 2009 Audi A4 2.0T. In between there have been about 24 other Audi products -- my 1979 Aud Fox GTI was the ONLY one that had any serious problems -- pulling into a gas station, and saying "fill it up" meant fill it up with OIL.

I did have problems with my A6 4.2's disc brakes (rotor after rotor would either be installed warped or warp quickly) -- that was in 2000 and Audi worked to correct the problem.

I have had mostly manual transmission versions of what ever I had -- my last manual version was my 2003 allroad; since then my 2005 A6 and the current A4 have both had 6 speed tips (and the current version is the best tip ever.)

My favorite? 1995 S6. The best one? 2005 A6 or the 2009 A4 -- they are very similar, so it is a tough call.

I have many positive stories and of course none of these cars have been perfect -- but they have been more reliable than any American car I have ever had and equal to or better than the three BMW's my wife and I have had (currently with a 2008).

Unintended acceleration was, after the fact, deemed to be driver error and otherwise, I am not aware of Audi's reputation being negative (when put up against other European brands), especially since they started the 3 year test drive program last century.

If you like the car, here's a vote in favor of taking the chance that Audi's reliability will not be an issue.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by hwks1
the only thing holding me back on a new A4 or perhaps A5 is all the 'trouble' reports on these cars? I have never owned an Audi - can they be as bad as they are reported to be?

Some of the posts I think have to be fake, or they drove the car so hard that they got the results they were asking for but some are just plain alarming..... a trans filter problem that can't be replaced for weeks? Whatever happen to Fedex?
Posts on an enthusiasts site like Audiworld will always have a much higher percentage of trouble reports. It's just the way it is. If you could find a more accurate measurement of customer satisfaction for the new A4, I think you would find that overall, Audi is building a much higher quality of car than ever. If you disregard the vibration issues of the lower control arms (resolved), I think you would be left with very few issues.

I've got 18K on my 2009 and other than the replaced control arms and a defective start/stop switch on delivery (also resolved), I've had no issues whatsoever. I can't remember any of my 30+ new autos over the years that had less problems in 18K miles.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I expect Audi to be reasonably reliable... JD Powers rates it as slightly better than average.

By comparison to the common problems listed here... over the last 5 years and 220k+ miles on two Subarus and 80k miles on my '05 Durango I have not had to make a single unscheduled repair - warranty or otherwise on my 3 current vehicles.

I am in the market to replace my '00 Subaru (has 180k) which I am giving to my son. I really like the Audi and I am ready for a significant vehicle upgrade... I just don't want to get into a continous niggling repair problem as my Audi dealer is not conveniently located.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same thoughts before I bought my first Audi (2010 A4 S-line, 2.0T Prestige Quattro) last year. Heard some horror stories, but it's been smooth sailing so far. It has way too many computerized systems than I felt comfortable with because when they break it's not something you can fix easily in your own garage. Heck, I'd opt for manual crank-down windows if I could! Anyhow, high-end cars are only getting more and more technologically advanced and I'm a gadget-lover. Based on the car specs and top safety rating (better than Volvo now) it was the best on paper. And it's the most beautiful car in its class and most fun to drive (according to me). So I went for it. I actually enjoy driving again after buying this car. The sport suspension and 4-wheel drive handle so amazingly well. And the computer system and peripherals make my commute enjoyable. I actually don't mind getting stuck in traffic with the B&O sound system. I can't wait until it's time to get rid of the second family car... nobody wants to drive it anymore now that we have the Audi.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my third A4, 2002(I think), 2006 and now 2010 (I also had a VW Passat before that, all black, see a pattern here?), I change it every 4 years so I am always under warranty. In that time I have had a few problems, mostly with my 06 (turbo, new radiator, couple other minor things). I have never been disabled, although that turbo was a mighty scream.

But hey I must love em because I keep coming back. This time around the only other car I really looked closely at was the 3-series, but in my heart of hearts I never thought I would buy it.

Quick Reply: Considering new Audi - are there any good stories?