A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Continental ExtremeContact DWS vs. Pirelli P6 tires - REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 553 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by ernestolopez
-As I drove I noticed how rsponsive they are and the car stayed centered,without any vibrations.-I Have them at a 40 PSI,what do you guys recommend? Is 48 to 50 PSI to high?
The recommended pressure is somewhere between 32 and 35 psi, so 48 to 50 is far too high. Read through the manual to find a table with the proper pressure based on loading conditions.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
The recommended pressure is somewhere between 32 and 35 psi, so 48 to 50 is far too high. Read through the manual to find a table with the proper pressure based on loading conditions.
Unless he has a 2009 3.2 which calls for 36-38 lbs. Agree that 48-50 is way too high. Grip will be reduced (especially in slippery conditions), the ride too harsh and excessive wear in the tire centers. Not to mention increased blowout potential. Check the label on the door frame for the best advice.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 34 psi always..nothing more on this car
Old 11-28-2011, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The door sticker only has tire pressure for a full load 33/35. See the table in the owner's manual. 33/29 for just me it says for my 2009 A4 2.0 18" sports package. I am running 34/32 for now. It has been in the 60'sF in NY. Soon it will be 30s and more air may be called for. I saw a great 120v compressor and 12v power source/jumper in Costco for $60.00.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I've read quite a bit on the Continental ExtremeContact DWS all-seasons but have not been able to find very much info from A4 owners who have upgraded from the Pirell P6 which many 2009+ non-sport A4 owners received as stock. I just had a set installed last week and thought I'd share my observations after a few hundred miles.

Let me preface with some benchmarks: I have a 2009 A4 Prestige with the very cool (IMO) 18" wheels that came with stock 245/40-R18 P6 shoes. I had 26K miles on the P6's before purchasing the DWS with about 40% tread remaining. The review below only compares the two all seasons and since I don't run summer performance tires, cannot provide any comparison to those or dedicated snow tires for that matter.

Why did I switch early wear-wise? Well, let me start at the beginning...I had one of the B8's with the high speed steering wheel shimmy and one of the first to report on the control arm fix on the forum (I think my original thread still holds the all time post record on the B8 forum). That solved my wheel dancing the Macarena and I was happy. As time and the miles wore on, I started noticing a mild, high speed, general vibration that I couldn't really pinpoint. It kind of sneaked up over time. I decided to have my dealer rotate and re-force balance the tires during my 25K mile service. After they rebalanced (the highest result was 19 lbs on one wheel and below that on the others, well within max spec) and rotated fronts to rears, the vibration was disconcertingly worse. They re-rebalanced again and no change. I suspected moving at least one of the wheels to the front caused this. Especially at 65+ mph. My conclusion was becoming out of round tire(s) which all the road force balamcing in the world can't completely fix. (Been there, done that).

After reading the reviews extolling the wonders of the DWS tires, I decided I would go for a set from Tire Rack. I went back and had the dealer mount and re-re-rebalance.

As soon as I drove away and got on the highway and some twisty back roads, I observed the following:

1) all vibrations were completely gone. I mean COMPLETELY gone. Nada, zero, no mas, nothing.
2) ride quality was vastly improved - while I still feel the road imperfections on these 18" relatively low profile tires, all the Massachusetts broken pavement was markedly damped and provided a far more comfortable ride.
3) based on some reviews of the DWS, I was expecting a somewhat lesser handling experience due to supposedly softer sidewalls. To my delight, the DWS increased performance significantly. The car responds equally well to steering input and much more planted in hard cornering.
4) I had also read in a couple of DWS reviews that the car wandered from straight. I can report that crowning in the road does provide a bit more drift than the P6's but it's barely noticeable. Far less than other car/tire combos I've had in the past.
5) Noise - again, a small minority of reviewers complained about noise level of the DWS. I did hear more noise the first 50 miles or so but either I've gotten used to it or as they wore in, the noise has reduced to below the P6 (at 26K mi). I suspect the latter. Also, no "squealing" as one DWS reviewer reported. (Maybe it was his passengers reacting with delight)?
6) Tread appearance - with the variable tread design, I think they look pretty neat (personal preference, of course on this one). The tread section width of the DWS is about 1/4-1/2" less than the P6 by the tape but you would be hard pressed to notice this by eye.
7) Treadwear - obviously time will tell but the reviews indicate excellent longevity compared to most in the class.
8) Value - at $152 ea., they represent a terrific value compared to many other tires in the UHP all season category.

As for performance in the wet and on snow, well, it hasn't rained since I got them and it's too early for snow. Based on the glowing reviews, I'd say driving in rain and snow has been universally reported as excellent. I'll update my own experience as time moves on.

Bottom line - I'va had 15 or 20 brands/models of the so-called "ultra performance" all-season tires on dozens of cars over the years including Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and Yokohama W-drive and so far, these are becoming my favorite. If they hold up better than the other "ultra performance" all seasons I've had, I'll give them my all time numero uno rating.

The P6's, while doing an admirable job with tread wear, did not hold up well to staying round. Kind of important in my opinion, yes?. Not to mention the lesser performance compared to the DWS. I'm a pretty happy camper right now. My world is now a much nicer place.
Wondering if you would kindly give us an update since 2 years have now elapsed? I am now searching for a set of replacement tires for my A4 and considering the Contis DWS as a good possibility for driving around all year in the New England area. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live outside of Seattle, I am on the second set of DWS's the first set lasted ~55k miles on my 2009 A4 Avant. These are the best all around tires I have had.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ckeith
I live outside of Seattle, I am on the second set of DWS's the first set lasted ~55k miles on my 2009 A4 Avant. These are the best all around tires I have had.
I suppose yours are 17".
I have 18" at 20k miles. The S is still visible, but they squeal while cornering more than I'd like. I'll probably change them in December. I don't see them carrying me through the winter. As it can be expected, they are noisier than they used to be. The handling has improved a little since the tread has gone down. I have never rotated them and the tread is worn evenly.
You get what you pay for. I'll get more expensive Bridgestones next.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 395 Likes on 353 Posts

Yeah, I've got these DWS tires on a car we bought during the summer and I'm totally under-whelmed by them. They seem to be good in the rain, and I know they will wear well, but it's a very lazy, unresponsive tire. Perhaps they are better in a lower series profile Our car is fitted with 65 series, 16". I doubt I will repeat them.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilA4
Wondering if you would kindly give us an update since 2 years have now elapsed? I am now searching for a set of replacement tires for my A4 and considering the Contis DWS as a good possibility for driving around all year in the New England area. Thanks!
I actually disposed of my A4 in July for a 2013 A6 but I can tell you that for 2 years, my review as OP of this thread still held. The tires performed well as I wrote for over two years with no change in my opinion. As for all year round, if you don't want the expense and hassle of two sets of tires (summer and winter), the DWS UHP A/S are a great choice.

Right after I got my A6, I sold the Pirelli P-Zero OEM summer tires and as Conti does not make the DWS in my size, I got a set of the Bridgestone RE970 A/S tires and I love 'em even more than the DWS I had on the A4. The 970AS is now rated #1 on Tire Rack for the ultra high performance all season category. They are more expensive than the DWS, however, and I'm not sure they make them in your size - you would have to check their website.

Either way, both are good choices with the Bridgestones being the winner for steering response and handling while the DWS might do a bit better in light snow.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife has 17" DWS on the 2007 A4 3.2 and they are very close to a snow tire. That is due to its aggressive tread which is 50% a snow tire. She doesn't care about handling and rarely exceeds 60 mph. 90% metro NYC commuting.

I had P7 summer tires and winter tires on the 2009 A4 and it was a much better combination. I have 19" summer Contis on my 2012 A4 S-line and will buy inexpensive wheels and Dunlop 3D winter tires. I go skiing a bit and like the grip of soft winter tread compound. I may go to 17" for winter tires because the potholes in the 2010 winter here messed up my 18" wheels and bubbled one snow tire. I would consider the DWS as a winter substitute if I wanted to save money and have longer wear. I am sure they would be fine if not optimum.

Let's face the fact an all-season tire used 12 months will lose its snow grip as time goes by. Plus if it wears well the tire compound is hard and will not grip on ice.

Quick Reply: Continental ExtremeContact DWS vs. Pirelli P6 tires - REVIEW