A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Continental ExtremeContact DWS vs. Pirelli P6 tires - REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with these tires on my C63 and they've been great so far. They've been the only tires so far that don't try to kill me when it's raining outside. Every other tire I've owned with that car has my traction control light blinking like an X-mas tree when the roads are wet
Old 09-27-2010, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 553 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrels41
For the winter I suggest reconsidering a winter tire. VT ain't Brooklyn.
Unless you want to buy the set I have sitting in the basement right now, I'm going to give them a chance this winter. If they perform poorly, I will replace them with something else.

Last edited by JD15; 09-27-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I have said many times! German car,,,,,,,,,,,German Tires.I believe in the Contis,I had the previous Extremes on a B6,B7.As soon as the new DSW's came out,put them on the 2005 A6/C6.

Now ,I know we have a bunch of Johnie one ups in the world,and they can probably top my choice of tires.But all i can say is that we got a lot of snow out here in the Mid Atlantic this past winter.The Extreme DSW's were awesome.

I had suvs trying to keep up with me.The tires handled very well ,in all wet conditons.

Unfortunately for me,I can't get the sizes I need for my wifes 2007-750LI.

Everybody has the ability to choose a brand, a tread,whatever.But the research and evaluations of people who know quality always speak the truth.-If you drive like an idiot through pot holes anywhere,not just Brooklyn,any tire will get damaged.The sidewalls of the Michelins are weak,the Pirellis are too hard.So I comprimised with the contis.Good luck,hope i didnt offend anyone.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joesky
The Pirelli's suck and Audi should stop using them. Unfortunately some braniac in purchasing probably signed a long term contract that they can't get out of in order to save money....
The Goodyear Eagle LS2s aren't much better. As I said in another thread, the tires Audi puts on these cars only met one criteria... they were cheap to buy and they fit. I can't wait for these junky tires to wear out.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Unless you want to buy the set I have sitting in the basement right now, I'm going to give them a chance this winter. If they perform poorly, I will replace them with something else.
They will be fine if you don't hit the sidewalls. Tread grip is great. More potholes in NYC than VT is suppose.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P6s

Originally Posted by joesky
While I can't comment on the Conti's, I will say that my 2010 A4 Prestige had HUGE issues with the Pirelli P6's with vibration, etc. I eventually convinced Audi to replace them and wanted the Conti's but instead got Michelin Pilot's. They made a world of difference and performed significantly better than the P6's, and one year on, I have had zero issues with vibration etc.

The Pirelli's suck and Audi should stop using them. Unfortunately some braniac in purchasing probably signed a long term contract that they can't get out of in order to save money....

I took mine off at 5,000 miles and threw them out.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The Pirelli name became respectable many years ago and mostly in racing. Perhaps with the exception of its very best tires, Pirelli now seems to make so so tires with poor quality control. It almost seems like they are at the level of the Falkens and Sumitomos in terms of lousy quality control. With brands like Michelin and Conti, you typically get less non-uniformity (out of roundness, conicity, radial pull, etc.)
Old 10-01-2010, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by av_audi
...With brands like Michelin and Conti, you typically get less non-uniformity (out of roundness, conicity, radial pull, etc.)
Conicity?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Pirelli Pzero Nero's that mine came with are a decent tire. I've had several track days and almost 20k miles on them so far and they still have plenty of rubber left and they give a good ride and decent performance. But would I replace them with another set? Probably not for the price. I think there are better deals out there, but over all I'd give them a B+.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Conicity?
Shaped like a cone, instead of a cylinder like they should be. Will make the tire want to roll in a circle instead of a straight line.

Edmunds had an interesting problem with their long-term prius related to this...

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...c-problem.html

Quick Reply: Continental ExtremeContact DWS vs. Pirelli P6 tires - REVIEW