A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Continental-ExtremeContant DWS Good Investment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I'm in the same boat - impatiently waiting for my original GY Eagles LS2 to expire (talking about some horrible tires). I circled out 2 tires as a replacement: Continental DWS and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. After reading all the reviews here I'm leaning towards Michelins. Has anyone on this forum had both tires? What can you say about Pilot Sport A/S?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GomerPyle
I've had Continental Extreme Contacts before and they were the worst tires I've ever had... almost...
I also had a set and I agree that they were certainly less that special, unless one is using "special" as in "special needs" or the retard of tires.

Mine were shot after about 11,000 miles and I replaced them with some Toyo's.

However the DWS appears to be a totally different critter... so far.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will respond back to this post. I have the DWS tires coming end of August. I currently have the P6's on my car from the dealer and they are crap. Drove off the lot with two of them already having excessive road force. I will give the run down once I install the Continentals and say if its worth the buy or not. If not then I will probably invest in the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 276 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Looking for all weather tires and the contenders are;

245/40ZR18, Continental ExtremeContact DWS (UHP All-Season) $157ea, cheapest

245/40ZR18, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 (Performance Winter/Snow) $231 ea, best all around?

245/40ZR18, Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D (Performance Winter/Snow) $223 ea, best Snow/Ice?

I am tempted to get the 245/40ZR18, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 tires.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jkownz
I will respond back to this post. I have the DWS tires coming end of August. I currently have the P6's on my car from the dealer and they are crap. Drove off the lot with two of them already having excessive road force. I will give the run down once I install the Continentals and say if its worth the buy or not. If not then I will probably invest in the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.
I'm very interested in your DWS/P6 comparison eval once you get them on. I also have P6's and am considering the DWS in a few months. I have a friend who loves them but I'm a bit concerned about reports of sidewall softness re turn in performance and pothole deterrence. Reports of an excellent ride, low noise and foul weather performance are very appealing though.

I used to run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for years on my wife's allroad and my 2001 A6 but finally gave up due to overly stiff sidewalls, rougher ride and they never seemed to last very long. At $225 or so apiece, it was getting expensive.

I've not found the P6's to be horrible, but the ride is a bit harsh on rough road and I know I can do better for an all season tire. I will say, they've held up fairly well - 25K mi and I would estimate still about 10-15K left to go. My Michelins never got more than 25K.

The new Conti ExtremeContacts DWS appears to be an entirely new design from the previous model so I'm not sure we can rely on related experiences with the original model.

Let us know after you get them on.

Last edited by snagitseven; 08-06-2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

We put a set of these on my wife's 2008 BMW X3 -- love them! Note: they are good for MODERATE winter conditions, such as we typically have in extreme SW Ohio. Couple their UHP creds with their All Season creds and I would, currently, put them at the top of pile of GREAT tires that require little compromise. Little, not NO compromise. They are not MAX Performance tires, that is.

THEY ARE NOT WINTER TIRES.

They work fine as wine in the COLD, but don't expect miracles on snow.

Having said that, they are much better than the MAX Perf Summer Only tires my 2009 A4 came with (19" inchers with ultra low profile and substantail width didn't inspire confidence in winter either, even in Cincinnati.)

I would, in my circumstances, get the DWS tires next time around without hesitation.

Oh, BTW, they are very quiet and have a HUGE treadwear number (above 500 as I recall.) TireRack reviews are also tops, check them out, too.

Personally, I have Yoko Advan S.4's -- which at one time were "the tire" on the TireRack UHP A/S top tire list.

I am not one to want to change tires in Summer and Winter -- if you are of a similar behavior pattern, you will almost certainly want A/S UHP tires.

In no way, shape, manner, form or regard am I claiming either of these tires competes with the MAX Performance summer only tires that come with the 19" SLine or Sports Package option. Of course, in winter, the MAX Performance tires are, er, **** on a bull useless.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 08-05-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agreed. Very happy with my DWS's which I mounted in January.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am planning on putting Pilot Sports on my 2011 A4 with sports package.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...a-s-plus-tires
Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSuMi
I also had a set and I agree that they were certainly less that special, unless one is using "special" as in "special needs" or the retard of tires.
Grow up, clown

Last edited by Omeletpants; 08-05-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Oh, BTW, they are very quiet and have a HUGE treadwear number (above 500 as I recall.) TireRack reviews are also tops, check them out, too.
I wouldn't put too much stock in treadwear numbers. The Conti Extreme Contacts I had were rated at 400. They lasted 20K miles. My Pilot Sports are also rated at 400 and have lasted much longer. The number is not an industry standardized number but rather a comparison of similar tires made by the same manufacturer. In other words, a 500 Conti DWS does not equate to a 500 anything else.

Quick Reply: Continental-ExtremeContant DWS Good Investment?