A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Continental-ExtremeContant DWS Good Investment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default I have these tires and I like them

Some people here will tell you differently, but I have had these tires on my car for a year and I like them a lot. I drive moderately, and so far the tires have shown no signs of wear. More importantly, I live in Massachusetts and these tires do very well in the snow. We didn't get any deep snow last winter, but I had the previous version of these Continental tires on my B6 A4 and went through several winters with them without any problems. I would buy these tires again.

As an added note, I noticed that my ESP never kicked in once all last winter, while on my previous two A4s (B5 & B6) the ESP would come on often in snowy and icy conditions.

Last edited by A4Driver; 08-06-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got these when I upgraded to my 19" style V wheels on my C63 Mercedes so I can only speak from a rear wheel drive perspective, but so far I've been very happy with the DSW's. I can't speak for how they perform in the snow, but in the rain they handle very well and they have a soft and comfortable ride, but aren't too soft as they perform better then I expected. The P-Zero's that came with my C63 performed a little bit better, but over all the DSW is a much better tire for a fraction of the cost. If I get decent milage out of them, I'll buy them again.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a set of the DWSs on my GTI and they are good tires. Good grip, good ride. I haven't had them in the snow yet, so I can't comment on that. I just recently bought an A4 and I've been wanting to replace the summer tires that came on the car with a good set of all-seasons, because I hate changing tires twice a year. I wanted the DWS, but they are out of stock just about everywhere in the size I need. After considerable research, I've opted instead for the Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S tires. They rate almost as high in Tire Rack's tests, they're only a few dollars more and they're available. They came in last week and I'll be putting them on next week.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the DSW extremes last year.No one had them.I just traded my A6 with them on.The tires are awesome.Especially in the snow.As a matter of fact they were on back order at The Tire rack last week.

The Tires is rated number 1 in its category.Highly recommend them.The winter storms were brutal this past season and they never failed me.Good luck.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ernestolopez
I ordered the DSW extremes last year.No one had them.I just traded my A6 with them on.The tires are awesome.Especially in the snow.As a matter of fact they were on back order at The Tire rack last week.

The Tires is rated number 1 in its category.Highly recommend them.The winter storms were brutal this past season and they never failed me.Good luck.
Yeah, they are actually hard to get as they've been flying off the shelf. When I looked them up on tire rack they were rated a 8.7 which was the highest I could find for my car.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I used to run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for years on my wife's allroad and my 2001 A6 but finally gave up due to overly stiff sidewalls, rougher ride and they never seemed to last very long. At $225 or so apiece, it was getting expensive.
Were they the original or "plus" varient? Michelin "upgraded" the tires to the plus version sometime in the beginning of 2009. Also they do have a very good tread warranty (45,000 miles). The con is they are more expensive then the Continental EC-DWS.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 2 Audis. A 2009 A4 2.0 with sports pac. and 18" Pirelli P7s and a 2007 A4 3.2 with Conti DWS 17". I see the Contis as a snow tire compromised by harder rubber for wear and some tread channel modification for rain rther than snow. They have a soft sidewall and can't take impacts. Good price and safe traction for moderate driving. Feel of the road is not great. Good replacement for 17" OEM P6s. Not exciting for a sports package A4.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:17 PM
equ
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Barrels41
I have 2 Audis. A 2009 A4 2.0 with sports pac. and 18" Pirelli P7s and a 2007 A4 3.2 with Conti DWS 17". I see the Contis as a snow tire compromised by harder rubber for wear and some tread channel modification for rain rther than snow. They have a soft sidewall and can't take impacts. Good price and safe traction for moderate driving. Feel of the road is not great. Good replacement for 17" OEM P6s. Not exciting for a sports package A4.
Exactly.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not in need of tires for another winter, but hopefully then there will be more miles driven on the DSWs by then with more longer term reviews. As another poster mentioned, the Extreme Contacts also were reviewed very well initially, and turned out to be junk.

I'd like to hear back from people who put 10K miles on them and through the course of an entire winter. The Extremes were very good in the snow the first winter, but the next year I felt like I was driving on slicks. And I'd also like to know about wear and noise (e.g. droning beat at 65mph). Until then, the Pilot Sports are still my top pick.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

FWIW, as a weekend skier, I can attest to the quality of the Michelin Pilot A/S series as a "mostly summer, occasional winter" tire. They are robust, drive *almost* like summer tires (for the most part), but don't turn into round ice blocks when you hit the snow in the winter.

I live in LA, so my experience with them is mostly weekend trips to Big Bear. I could not speak to the experience of using them throughout a snowy winter season on a daily basis.