A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Corners at 45mph

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corners at 45mph

Anyone else enjoying cornering at 45mph in their new A4? My '10 A4 S-line can take right corners at any speed I try, until I'm too scared to go any faster! I can't believe how it handles with complete control and no roll. And when I'm just cruising the ride is smooth and comfortable, though I don't have the Drive Select. I also really enjoy the adaptive steering control that is like slicing through butter in parking lots, but tight and responsive when whipping around country roads and curvy interstate ramps. It is tough to stay out of trouble in this car. Good thing I didn't get the S4.

Has anyone felt a noticeable handling change when going to winter wheels/tires e.g. 19" down to 18 or 17"? (Of course on those days without the snow)
Old 11-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

45mph or more!

No ADS here, but sport package avant with the 18"s. Stock alone is a fantastic handling suspension. I have already pushed the wheels out with 15mm spacers all around, and will be installing a bit lower H&R springs and the Stasis 23mm ARB soon.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by phyjess
Has anyone felt a noticeable handling change when going to winter wheels/tires e.g. 19" down to 18 or 17"? (Of course on those days without the snow)
Definitely handling changes, but you would probably notice a difference between tire brands at 19" if you are doing 45mph corners. One would slide a little more than the other, or rollover, etc.

17" winters on dry, cool (not cold) pavement are very noticeably different. The car loses a little responsiveness in turning. You turn the wheel and then feel the turn. On lower profile summers the turn the wheel/feel the turn is fairly immediate.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check out the Automobile magazine review of the S4 with 19" Dunlop Maxx GTs. With basically the same basic suspension setup as the sport package A4 the car averaged 0.98 g's on the skidpad.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marksv
Check out the Automobile magazine review of the S4 with 19" Dunlop Maxx GTs. With basically the same basic suspension setup as the sport package A4 the car averaged 0.98 g's on the skidpad.
Does the A4 Sport Package use the same springs as the S4?

Last edited by tubi; 11-11-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

You guys must not have the pirelli P7 because cornering at high speed gets tricky with those...

I had a subaru 2.5RS (basic engine) that could corner much faster and stick to the road way more than the A4. Granted, it had awesome azenis tires and the car was lighter.. Quite different cars.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have P7s and haven't noticed anything tricky about high speed handling. They seem to stick like glue. I have winter tires on now and I'm really missing the handling of the P7s.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoQuattro
I have P7s and haven't noticed anything tricky about high speed handling. They seem to stick like glue. I have winter tires on now and I'm really missing the handling of the P7s.
I wouldn't say my P7's are "tricky", but I think you would notice more grip if you swapped them for something like Pilot Sport 2's or another tire in the "max performance summer" category. They P7's below this class in "high performance". They seem to be a good tire, just not as sticky as others.

Sure -- changing to winter/all seasons should be obvious from a performance standpoint on dry pavement. (the same is probably true on snow -- just reversed )
Old 11-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by phyjess
Anyone else enjoying cornering at 45mph in their new A4? My '10 A4 S-line can take right corners at any speed I try, until I'm too scared to go any faster! I can't believe how it handles with complete control and no roll. And when I'm just cruising the ride is smooth and comfortable, though I don't have the Drive Select. I also really enjoy the adaptive steering control that is like slicing through butter in parking lots, but tight and responsive when whipping around country roads and curvy interstate ramps. It is tough to stay out of trouble in this car. Good thing I didn't get the S4.

What tires are you running right now?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by need_TQM
I wouldn't say my P7's are "tricky", but I think you would notice more grip if you swapped them for something like Pilot Sport 2's or another tire in the "max performance summer" category. They P7's below this class in "high performance". They seem to be a good tire, just not as sticky as others.
Agreed - the P7s are not as grippy as the Azenis or the Good Year F1's that I had on my B6 A4. But they are better than the Sport-Conti 2's.

Quick Reply: Corners at 45mph