A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Couple questions about new audi and dealer..

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never heard of a deposit being non-refundable. I doubt they want to keep your $1000 if you don't buy the car. However, I can understand how they don't want to modify the car if you aren't absolutely going to buy it. Why would there be a shimmy if they put different tires on it? As long as they are the right size and are balanced then they should be fine. I think you should sign the deal and have the items you want added written in the contract. Then they can make the changes, you pick it up and bingo - everyone is happy.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 729 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by j0nx
At this point I don't know if I want to deal with these guys anymore and may just order a car from a local Audi dealer instead. It would be $800 cheaper anyway but would require the 3-4 month wait obviously..
Sounds like any potential relationship with this dealer has been tainted in your mind, so move on to another dealer. If you're concerned about $22/mo on the financing, then you should be working with the other dealer who is offering an $800 better deal. You may be able to get them to catch an allocated car in the pre-production pipeline and get them to change it to your specs---could reduce the wait time significantly. Just a thought.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I have purchased over two dozen Audis. ONE of them was off the lot. I would, pretty much, NEVER buy one off the lot, what I want, the colors, options, etc, seem NEVER to exist.

Now, I realize, after two-dozen cars, that a deposit, for me at least, is not needed, and not even asked for. But, my wife, likewise has had three BMW's and has put down $500 deposits on each one of them (she too, can't seem to buy off the lot). We have never had to hear the words "non-refundable" or sign any document saying same.

I would be willing to put a depost down. I would NOT be willing to put down a "non-refundable" deposit unless there happened to be a document explaining all the reasons that the deposit could be refunded if I didn't aquire the car.

It would take a lawyer to draft such a document.

Something just doesn't seem "normal" for a premium dealer selling premium cars.

I believe, having said all of the above, if I ordered a car with Audi Exclusive paint or interior treatments, and I wanted Purple Pearl Paint with Chicken Fat Yellow leather, well I would be much more understanding about the deposit being non-refundable.

My dealer, thus far (since 1977) has been willing to state: "if you don't buy the car you order, Mark, we'd be happy to have it in inventory."

I ordered a new 2009 white A4 Prestige with 19" Sport, Nav, power rear sunshade and ADS, with the beige leather interior and wood. I think the only option I didn't order was ACC. I put no money down.

I have never seen any A4 "in stock" configured with the Prestige or S-Line packages.

They must be terrifically unpopular, in other words.

It seems to me you are not ordering anything so odd that it would be unmarketable if you bailed.

Go elsewhere.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Its not his problem, its your problem. YOu want this car.

25miles? Thats 45 min drive? YOu make it seem like its hours away.

You think spending 36k makes this more special for you than others? How about a 120k for a car?

Im sorry, I think your thinking of what is reasonable and what is not has the dealer thinking they don't really want to work with you on your terms. They might be thinking your one of those nightmare customers. Yes, dealers have their stories too!

Why not have the close dealer do a search for you and locate the car you want?

If the car has a shimmy, they will fix it. these things are very fixable. Its a tire.

somtimes the customer can set the tone of how a transaction can go.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You're entitled to your opinion barg. I don't happen to share it. As has already been said, the car I want is difficult to find due to SP. I have no trouble waiting if I can't get things done my way. I am the customer and I dictate the terms. If they don't want to sell to me my way then I'll go elsewhere. That's how every customer should be when they are spending this kind of money on a car. You might think it's ok to be tossed around. I don't.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When I was looking for my '11 A4, I wanted a specific color combination and P+. It wasn't anything extraordinary, they just weren't in stock anywhere. The car I was looking for was no where to be found. I tried to work with the person I bought my '08 from, but he was horrible about getting back to me. So I went to a local dealer hoping to have an easy time getting the car I wanted at a good price. They had the price right, but didn't have the car. IIRC, I put down $500 (yes I got my money-they never charged me) and they were going to try and locate it. At a couple of times, I thought they had one, but it was a matter of trade. 2-3 weeks went by and I still didn't have a car and they weren't returning my emails for updates. I had to call them to see what was going on. In the meantime, we were in the process of selling our other car and had a deal on it. I was annoyed, but hopeful they would come through because they were so close. Finally I gave up. My Mom started calling other dealers and low and behold the first place she called had what I wanted. They got it on a trade with another dealer not to far from me. Even though I had gone there looking for a car, they couldn't show it to me because it was going out on trade.

Bottom line is, I wanted a car, I had to show I was serious and not just jerking a sales person's chain. If you want something that badly then step up and show it. Don't make demands when supply isn't abundant unless you want to wait for it to be built. You should be forking over whatever deposits the dealer you are working with wants regardless if it's to locate the car or order it. Exhaust tips and tires are EASY add ons. And get off of this shimmy business. Audi doesn't deal like that.

Find another dealer and start over. Do what they ask for and you will have an easier time.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 553 Likes on 372 Posts

Since you clearly do not trust the first dealer and seem to have a poor relationship with the salesperson, it seems like you are better off special ordering from the closer dealer and saving $800 in the process. If you are uncomfortable with the dealer's business practices, no one here is going to convince you otherwise.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:53 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by j0nx
And he mentioned nothing about a first month's payment made for free. I also noticed that the price of these cars went up substantially after Jan 1st. Maybe it's just not in the cards for an Audi since it's too difficult to find one with SP and the dealers are so unreasonable. I'll sign a contract so they can put the contis on when i take delivery but if the car has any issues then I expect to walk away for no cost to myself. I don't see how that is unreasonable.
From the dealer standpoint, what happens if they swap the tires and you walk away? Under bad circumstances they are over 1K in the hole. Maybe that's the reason they are asking for non-refundable deposit.

IMHO the reasonable terms would be you inspecting the car and then the dealer swaps the tires. Installing tires is 2 hour max (assuming road-force balance). Installing tips is 5 minutes. Schedule the delivery when the service is open and just wait for them to complete the install.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

J0nx, In my opinion you should order it and wait. I say this for several reasons
1) you want the A4 exactly the way you want it! That's why Audi allows you to order what ever you want from the factory to your specs, not theirs!
2) you want the right price. I ordered mine and negotiated the price to be dealer invoice, so no last minute dealer BS when the car arrived. Get the price in writing when you order it.
3) I put down a $500 refundable deposit to order it. If you don't like the car, you can walk.

If you are paying this amount of money for the car, and plan on keeping it, get what you want for the best price possible. The waiting time will also allow you time to secure the best possible financing!

Don't settle on anything!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Your manner is consistent with being a difficult person. Its not for me to judge really, its where you are in this negotiation. Your not getting what you want so really who is winning? not you. Most here have given you very good advice.

If you want the luxury of having what you want they have defined what it will be. Nobody is putting a gun to your head to buy this car. If you don't like the terms then order it and wait. You risk losing more on a trade if somthing happens to your present car.

Essentially your asking a dealer to make changes on a car he owns and he should accept the cost to do it. If you like it then you'll buy. Might sound reasonable to you, but its not to him. Where is the compromise? if the car is not right won't they fix it? You come off that your way to above a 25 mile drive.

Why not ask if they will provide a loaner if you don't want to wait and perhaps if they can deliver the car to you and take the loaner back? If you don't want anyone to drive your car, then you need to do it your self.

Me, I don't get pushed around. I employ upfront contracts and if accepted its very clear what is to be done and who owns it. If a manager says his dealer will do it then its on him. I get great service and they go the extra distance for me.

Quick Reply: Couple questions about new audi and dealer..