A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Cracked Audi Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Audi Wheels

Wondering if anyone else has had their Audi wheels crack?... I just realized that I need to resize the photos to post them. I had all four wheels crack in multiple locations from around the bolt holes to lateral cracks across the spokes. I have the S-Line 19's that are a star design with triple spokes. The dealer said I must have just gotten a defective set but I can't imagine that I'm the ONLY one who got a bad set. Trying to figure out if its a design issue or if there was a bad batch produced perhaps.

I'll post photos as soon as I resize them
Old 10-05-2010, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

the photos are only from my phone so not the greatest quality but I think you can see what I'm talking about...

Old 10-05-2010, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Damn dude, thats dangerous! Thanks for the heads up
Old 10-05-2010, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah and thats just one wheel. I had 3 cracked almost identically and by the time I got to the dealer (75 miles) the fourth had at least 3 cracks. The worst wheel had over 18 cracks. They said it was just cosmetic but its through the clear coat AND paint. I've seen car accidents where metal panels can bend significantly before cracking and if the wheels WERE flexing and that's what caused it, that's horrendous. I'm glad they have all been replaced but I'm watching the new set like a hawk. Everytime I see another Audi with these wheels, I check for anything similar. So far I haven't seen any others.

Anyways, yeah NickZag, just trying to get anyone else with these to check them out closely as I too think its hugely dangerous. I hope nobody else has this problem but hopefully, this thread will get people to look before its potentially too late.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I noticed your in Northern CA also. Where do you track your Audi? I run with NASA, Track Masters, and an Autocross with SCCA every now and then.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

NickZag,
PM sent.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by QUA77R0
Wondering if anyone else has had their Audi wheels crack?... I just realized that I need to resize the photos to post them. I had all four wheels crack in multiple locations from around the bolt holes to lateral cracks across the spokes. I have the S-Line 19's that are a star design with triple spokes. The dealer said I must have just gotten a defective set but I can't imagine that I'm the ONLY one who got a bad set. Trying to figure out if its a design issue or if there was a bad batch produced perhaps.

I'll post photos as soon as I resize them
Wow, that's nuts. I've got the same rims and will keep an eye out. So far so good @ 15,000 miles. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by havenoclu
Wow, that's nuts. I've got the same rims and will keep an eye out. So far so good @ 15,000 miles. Thanks for the info.
I got them replaced at 11k and only have 13k on the car now.

Just wanted to bring some awareness to it so nobody gets injured. I can tell you that if I didn't clean my wheels myself, I probably would have never noticed. Only as I was wiping them clean did I say, "gee what's that black stringy stuff on my wheels?" I thought maybe it was gum that had gotten hot and spread like cotton candy and that the brake dust was sticking to it. As I began wiping at the "gum" I realized that they were actually cracks. I'm glad that Audi NA authorized full replacement all around but I still check these every few days....just to be safe