A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Cracked windshield... warranty from Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cracked windshield... warranty from Audi?

I was driving on the highway last week and it was like 22F outside.

A semi was getting on the highway and something from it hit my windshield pretty hard. but there weren't any cracks or marks on it.

About an hour and half later I'm still driving and there's no cars around me.. and there's a huge cracking noise.. I look at the passenger side of my windshield, all the way to the edge, by the A-frame, (halfway up the side)

there is a 3.5" crack, that's perfectly horizontal and straight. And the crack is only in the top layer of the glass.

I've called Safelite to replace the windshield.. and they said it might be a warranty issue for Audi because rocks don't break windshields like that and it might be a manufacturing issue because its on the edge of the windshield and perfectly straight.

Any ideas?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ports
I was driving on the highway last week and it was like 22F outside.

A semi was getting on the highway and something from it hit my windshield pretty hard. but there weren't any cracks or marks on it.

About an hour and half later I'm still driving and there's no cars around me.. and there's a huge cracking noise.. I look at the passenger side of my windshield, all the way to the edge, by the A-frame, (halfway up the side)

there is a 3.5" crack, that's perfectly horizontal and straight. And the crack is only in the top layer of the glass.

I've called Safelite to replace the windshield.. and they said it might be a warranty issue for Audi because rocks don't break windshields like that and it might be a manufacturing issue because its on the edge of the windshield and perfectly straight.

Any ideas?
Good luck with that. I started my car in the summer when it was super hot out and the 'auto ac' kicked in - CRACK!!!

Guess what? NO Warranty coverage... and get this:
there's a test to see if the crack was caused by 'outside influence'.

Thankfully, most insurance companies cover this and offer windshield replacement with only a $100 deductable.

As an aside, the Audi parts guy I spoke with said that Audi (and most autos these days) windshields are thinner these days, so rocks will cause havok on our poor lil cars.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
As an aside, the Audi parts guy I spoke with said that Audi (and most autos these days) windshields are thinner these days, so rocks will cause havok on our poor lil cars.
Heard the same thing from a glass repair guy who had to buff out scratches on my windshield (wiper blade came partially loose and the wiper arm scored my windshield). However, I had 24k miles on my '09 A4 when I traded it in after 18 mos and had no issues with pitting or cracks in the windshield.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm having Safelite replace the windshield next week. I have a $0 deductable on my insurance for it, so not a big deal. Just pain in the butt.

Does safelite get the same kind of windshield glass? I mean does their have the black trim around the edges and around where the rain sensor/review mirror go?
Old 01-18-2011, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ports
Yeah, I'm having Safelite replace the windshield next week. I have a $0 deductable on my insurance for it, so not a big deal. Just pain in the butt.

Does safelite get the same kind of windshield glass? I mean does their have the black trim around the edges and around where the rain sensor/review mirror go?
Yeah - they get the OEM windshield.