A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

curve xenons

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ports
Mine are the self leveling/motorized kinda I guess. They do this top to bottom sweep when I start the car.

There's a screw on top that you can adjust to change the level also.. so you should be fine for Left or RHD... i don't know why the lights would be different.. mine are mirror images of each other.

Have you ever noticed a car which isn't symmetric?
Wow - this thread is filled with misinformation...

RHD drive lights will work on a LHD car, but the beam pattern is opposite. LHD cars focus their light higher on the right side and lower on the left side (because of oncoming traffic). RHD cars focus their light higher on the left side and lower on the right side (because of oncoming traffic).
If you install RHD xenons and a LHD car you will either have to aim them ridiculously low, or blind oncoming traffic.

LHD beam pattern looks like. //
RHD beam pattern looks like. \\ (if that makes any sense

Bottom line: Don't use RHD lights, get the right lights for your car.

LHD = Left Hand Drive - (US, Germany, (most of Euorpe), etc.
RHD = Right Hand Drive (UK and Australia)

Last edited by NPuter; 07-08-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NPuter

RHD drive lights will work on a LHD car, but the beam pattern is opposite. LHD cars focus their light higher on the right side and lower on the left side (because of oncoming traffic). RHD cars focus their light higher on the left side and lower on the right side (because of oncoming traffic).
If you install RHD xenons and a LHD car you will either have to aim them ridiculously low, or blind oncoming traffic.

By symmetric I meant the shape of the car/lights.
The beam pattern is adjustable and makes no difference for LHD/RHD. Just use a phillips screwdriver and adjust.. Is that difficult?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default "Headlamp converter" setting

RHD drive lights will work on a LHD car, but the beam pattern is opposite. LHD cars focus their light higher on the right side and lower on the left side (because of oncoming traffic). ..
Anybody knows what the "Headlamp converter" setting in the MMI really does? Does it only block the higher part of the asymmetric beam or does it really convert the complete asymmetry ?
Old 07-08-2011, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You are correct, but what puzzles me is when an Audi dealer entered the part number supposedly used in LHD countries it shows up as an RHD unit in the system.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vtheman
You are correct, but what puzzles me is when an Audi dealer entered the part number supposedly used in LHD countries it shows up as an RHD unit in the system.
I e-mailed you the photos of my lights.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ports
By symmetric I meant the shape of the car/lights.
The beam pattern is adjustable and makes no difference for LHD/RHD. Just use a phillips screwdriver and adjust.. Is that difficult?
Completely incorrect. The beam pattern differs between LHD and RHD. The screws on top of the housings only control the level of the lights. Like I said, LHD has a beam pattern of // and RHD has a beam pattern of \\. This cannot be interchanged - that is why LHD lights and RHD lights have separate part numbers.

Originally Posted by audi8k
Anybody knows what the "Headlamp converter" setting in the MMI really does? Does it only block the higher part of the asymmetric beam or does it really convert the complete asymmetry ?
Because of the different beam pattern for RHD, the Headlamp converter setting dips the lenses as to not blind oncoming drivers. This is intended for mainland Europe drivers entering UK and vise versa.