A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all:
Print Wikipost

CVT jerk when go from stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperionguy
I have spent some time driving my buddy's 3.0 CVT and noted that it tends to operate more smoothly if i let off the brake and let the car start rolling forward on it's own for just a moment, then hit the throttle. It seems that if the unit clutches itself or engages... however it is working... makes it smoother.

My buddy kept complaining of an abrupt jump while taking off, stating the car had a mind of its own. I noticed one day that he is a two-footed driver, braking with the left foot. I also noticed he wasn't FULLY off the brake before hitting the throttle. So what what happening is that the car was still in 'throttle cut-out mode' (foot on the brake more than a few seconds)as he was pressing the gas. Then when he fully released the brake, the car would go ahead and give him the requested throttle thus producing a jerk or buck of sudden power.

Once I pointed that out, he quit experiencing the problem.
I can't believe people drive with both feet. It's just very weird to me unless you have a manual car.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smurfs
I can't believe people drive with both feet. It's just very weird to me unless you have a manual car.
ditto...
Old 08-14-2010, 03:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Driving with both feet is actually the safest way to drive....
Old 08-14-2010, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

It drives me nuts when people do that.

Everything I have read and was taught is that it is much less safe to drive an auto tranny with two feet. It is too easy for folks to confuse inputs in a panic situation. Especially those with a background in manual tranny where often the reaction should be two-feet-in during a panic stop or an off track excursion.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RedLightning
Driving with both feet is actually the safest way to drive....
Sorry, I disagree completely Redlightning. Much easier to press the wrong pedal, like the gas, in an emergency. Secondly, I have seen people who you can tell are two-footed drivers. Their brakes lights are on as they are driving along. It's a good way to go through brakes/rotors in a hurry.

I have yet to see a driving school that would teach a student to drive an auto with both feet. Why not? Because it's not right and not safe. I would suggest anyone driving like this should kick the habit .

Last edited by Old Dog; 08-14-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hyperionguy
It drives me nuts when people do that.
+1
Old 08-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well to each his own.. i drive with one foot myself, as that is how i was taught and have found it very difficult to learn. it is however indisputable that, should the need arise, you will stop the car faster when you already have one foot over the brake....
Old 08-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

* since i cant edit i meant i find it difficult to learn to drive wth both feet....
Old 08-15-2010, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RedLightning
* since i cant edit i meant i find it difficult to learn to drive wth both feet....
Hi RedLightning. Here is the thread to request edit rights for future use . https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2748703

Take care.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Multitronic problem after adaptation.

Originally Posted by AgisA
I have a 2010 CVT front wheel.
When I take off from a stop the transmission engages abruptly and the car lounges forward. I have to be very careful to avoid this happening.
Is there a TSB software fix for this?
I have 2009 Audi a4 b8 2.0tdi multitronic A problem with the gearbox that appeared after resetting all multitronic values ​​using vcds. Namely, after the basic adaptation of the multitronics on the vcds was done, a problem appeared which manifests itself in the way that when I return from position D to N, R or P, the whole car tends to say so, as if the manual was jerked on the clutch, and at the same time the rev counter quickly jerks down maybe 50 counts. I also noticed that when I put it in D and release the brake, the car starts almost immediately, it's rougher when moving, which wasn't the case before. It moved smoothly, I never had any jerking from D position to N, R or P, and above all sometimes it happened as if it lost calibration and was a little rougher in movement and similar, which I solved by pressing the gas in the ignition for 30 seconds and then that's why everything worked smoothly again. I am asking for help

Quick Reply: CVT jerk when go from stop