A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Dear Audi: It's Winter again and these wiper blades still suck

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SFV A4
I notice at ski resorts a lot of cars/trucks park with their wipers up in the air. Is this not a legit practice?

Doesn't it loosen the "spring" which makes them stick less to the window when you want them to wipe hard? (ie: to wipe the dirty sticky snow / slush mess from the car in front of you that sticks on the windshield)
Old 12-08-2009, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Where I live, the first thing you do when you get out of your car is to flip up your wipers so they don't get stuck to your car, regardless of the type of wipers you have.

As for replacing the wipers... Have you guys ever tried pulling the cap off the end and then just replacing the blade? The rubber blades cost a whopping $3-$5 at any Autozone or other auto parts store.

The thing I don't like is the washer nozzles. Our old Jeep had the best washer nozzles. They would spray a fine mist over the entire windshield, versus the two streams of the Audi that are never high enough to get the top part of the window. I use about 10 times as much washer fluid in my Audi as what I ever did in our Jeep to get the window clean.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I've never had an issue with proper winter blades (grew up in VT) getting stuck. Couple minutes of defrost and you're good. But, the PITA part is having to use 'service mode' get them up and free.

Replacing the rubber blade doesn't deal with the root issue of the channel on top (that is part of the rubber blade) that fills with liquid or slush, freezes and turns it into a rigid, useless stick.

Originally Posted by a4Happy
Where I live, the first thing you do when you get out of your car is to flip up your wipers so they don't get stuck to your car, regardless of the type of wipers you have.

As for replacing the wipers... Have you guys ever tried pulling the cap off the end and then just replacing the blade? The rubber blades cost a whopping $3-$5 at any Autozone or other auto parts store.

The thing I don't like is the washer nozzles. Our old Jeep had the best washer nozzles. They would spray a fine mist over the entire windshield, versus the two streams of the Audi that are never high enough to get the top part of the window. I use about 10 times as much washer fluid in my Audi as what I ever did in our Jeep to get the window clean.

Last edited by Avant4Adam; 12-08-2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2009, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

We got some good snow today. Holy fu$@ do these wipers suck. I had to stop twice in a 20km commute to smash them against the windshield so the ice / slush would fall off otherwise I wouldn't see anything.

The rain sensing thingy was also crazy, it wiped super fast due to the snow... and other times it barely wiped.

I am definitely NOT impressed with the wiper system. The AWD on the other hand was great (with ESP off of course )
Old 12-10-2009, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mart242
We got some good snow today. Holy fu$@ do these wipers suck. I had to stop twice in a 20km commute to smash them against the windshield so the ice / slush would fall off otherwise I wouldn't see anything.

The rain sensing thingy was also crazy, it wiped super fast due to the snow... and other times it barely wiped.

I am definitely NOT impressed with the wiper system. The AWD on the other hand was great (with ESP off of course )
Same storm... and ya the wipers kinda suck... they makes ice cubes on the tips! :P Heat up the windsheild I found works pretty well (defrost)

I had mine on sensing @ lvl 3 (3 from the left) at night. Used LOTS of washer fluid!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrStuff
Same storm... and ya the wipers kinda suck... they makes ice cubes on the tips! :P Heat up the windsheild I found works pretty well (defrost)

I had mine on sensing @ lvl 3 (3 from the left) at night. Used LOTS of washer fluid!
Using lots of fluid is annoying.. and I got lots of premature fires from the headlight washer things when I tried to spray my windshield.. I'm sure that will be fun once they are frozen in ice and still try to spray..
Old 12-10-2009, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mart242
Using lots of fluid is annoying.. and I got lots of premature fires from the headlight washer things when I tried to spray my windshield.. I'm sure that will be fun once they are frozen in ice and still try to spray..
After blasting through deserted roads yesterday mine are frozen this morning. They don't come out. I hope it's a simply pressure discharge from the nozel and not a motor that opens the little doors. (I don't what that stuff to burn out) Because I heard them firing this morning a couple times but they don't come out... :\ I left the car in a warm parking garage this morning so i'll give them a shot once I leave tonight. *fingers crossed*
Old 12-12-2009, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you would think that with northern Europe not far away from the Audi mothership that they would have discovered just how totally sucky these wipers are.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If this issue gets enough attention then Audi would probably come up with a TSB at some point. Seriously, call Audi's customer hotline and kindly let them know.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫
If this issue gets enough attention then Audi would probably come up with a TSB at some point. Seriously, call Audi's customer hotline and kindly let them know.
have done. several times. would suggest everyone else do it.

Quick Reply: Dear Audi: It's Winter again and these wiper blades still suck