A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Deciding between a B8 A4 2.0 Prestige loaded or a used RS4

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Deciding between a B8 A4 2.0 Prestige loaded or a used RS4

Wife is more toward the B8 due to it being an automatic. I do like the new body all the new gizmo's and new technology. Also be nice to get some better fuel economy, as my current B6 S4 has a guzzling problem. (Better fuel econ would be nice but NOT a requirement)

I do sincerely miss the power of the B6 so thats why I am also ignoring fuel economy in the case of RS4.

If I did go with the B8 it would be loaded with everything other then the rear airbags.

The nice thing about the RS4 is its already hit one massive depreciation curve which the B8 has yet to hit.

Its hard decision that I have to make up very soon as the buyer for my S4 is coming up tonight or tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I went through a similar thought process (RS4 vs B8 A4)

I went through a similar thought process this summer before I ended up buying an RS4. So My .02 -

My B7 A4 2.0T was built up with as much as could possibly be done to the car at the time - K04 kit, APR fuel pump, intake, downpipe, exhaust, stasis center diff, stasis suspension, etc. Extremely fast and well handling car. My opinion is that the 2.0 in the B8 A4 is underpowered. You mention that you miss the power of the S4, and even chipped I think you'll never really be happy with a <cough> automatic A4 2.0T. Winner - RS4

From a looks standpoint, the RS4 is one of the best looking A4 series cars ever made. The B8 is a good looking car, but there is no exclusivity with it - you may not see many of them now, but soon they will be all over the place like any other A4. You even mention that you don't like the new body. Winner - RS4

You mention that fuel economy would be nice to have, but you would ignore it in the case of the RS4. Fuel Economy Winner - A4 2.0

I, like you mention, didn't care about all the new gizmos and new technology. The RS4 has everything I need (Nav, bluetooth, etc). Winner - RS4

The RS4 has hit a pretty steep depreciation curve as many high dollar cars do. Picking up an RS4 at less than what many of us paid new would be a great deal. There are even deals to be had on new RS4s still sitting at dealers... Winner - RS4

The seats in the RS4 are very nice - basically what you have in the B6 S4. The new sport seats in the B8, with the alcantara inserts and white stitching are some of the best seats that Audi has ever put in US cars. Winner - A4 2.0T

The B8 A4 is a larger car than the RS4. So depending on your point of view that could be a positive or negative.

I could go on, but hopefully those thoughts are helpful...

John
Old 12-15-2008, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pretty good analysis. I have nothing to add, other than don't forget to budget for...

an extended warranty or money to cover maintenance and repairs in addition to the entry price on the used RS4.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Thank you for your details, its still such a hard choice, because I do love the new toys...

That and I can easily cascade the car to the wife at some point down the road. She is not a fan of driving manual gearboxes. One correction I do love the B8 styling. Its really nice.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:10 AM

Default Re: I went through a similar thought process (RS4 vs B8 A4)

"The new sport seats in the B8, with the alcantara inserts and white stitching are some of the best seats that Audi has ever put in US cars. Winner - A4 2.0T"

Are those the S-Line seats you are talking about? Wasn't clear that the OP was getting S-Line...but maybe he was.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:44 PM

Default Re: I went through a similar thought process (RS4 vs B8 A4)

your wife is going to hate rowing the gears on that rs4. It's not as notchy as the s4's, dont' get me wrong, but if you're not matching revs closely enough, that motor makes the car lurch or jump a bit.

looking forward to being a lazy automatic driver for the first time in my life in an a4 avant (b8), and not going to miss the b6 S4 one bit. I just scared myself typing that.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounded like he was...

"If I did go with the B8 it would be loaded with everything other then the rear airbags."

Either way, those seats are awesome. I wouldn't want a B8 without them...
Old 12-15-2008, 07:56 PM

Default I've been considering this 'next car' question too, but including the S5...

I'll preface this low-value opinion by saying I've not driven any of the cars under consideration. Generally, once I'm nearing pulling the trigger, that is the ONLY deciding factor.

Exterior appearance:
1. S5/A5
2. RS4
3. B8 A4 avant S-line
4. A4

Interior:
1. B8 A4 avant S-line (I like the room for toys)
2. S5/A5
3. A4
4. RS4

Gadgets:
1. B8
2. B7

Performance:
1. RS4 6M
2. S5 6M
3. A4/A5 6M
4. A4 avant 6A

Second 'Look-over-the-shoulder' after parking
1. S5/A5
2. RS4 (B7 is a tad dated, though much less so with the flares)
3. A4 avant S-line (only with the 'RS6' S-line wheels)
4. A4 (looks too staid, even as an S4)

Utility:
1. A4 avant
2. A4
3. RS4
4. S5/A5

'Gotta-have-it' 'X-factor':
1. S5 (visual appeal in/out edges out)
2. RS4
3. A5
4. A4 avant S-line
5. A4

Driving:
I wouldn't know. That's the real key, at the end of the day. And there's only one, relatively fun way, to find out...
Old 12-16-2008, 07:42 AM

Default And gas. Budget for gas if you do the RS4

I've seen 6mpg in that car, on a regular basis.

Gas is cheap now, but man, gas amnesia is a terrible thing.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

RS4

Quick Reply: Deciding between a B8 A4 2.0 Prestige loaded or a used RS4