A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Detailed MMI changes on MY13 cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSING
While it may be dangerous I'd much rather have BT streaming and have my phone do all the heavy lifting with the apps n such. I've never been big one using the cars interface to navigate an iPod or app, I'd rather do it directly on the phone.
Well, it is dangerous, and that's kind of the point of giving drivers less and less excuses to do it. Some 18 year old kid is going to serve a 1 year prison sentence because while playing with his phone he crossed the center line and killed a driver in the oncoming lane and maimed the female passenger.

Eventually cars are going to force your phone to go into a mode where you can't play around with it while you are driving... while many feel it's your "choice" on how to operate your vehicle, it's my choice to live!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jmpage2
Eventually cars are going to force your phone to go into a mode where you can't play around with it while you are driving... while many feel it's your "choice" on how to operate your vehicle, it's my choice to live!
+1

Driving on public roads is privilege, not a right.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmpage2
That's a legitimate concern, but as the apps are all built around fairly well supported SDKs it really shouldn't prove out to be too much of a problem. Eventually all of the cars will have cellular modems in them and the apps suite will update itself (along with Navi, etc) just like your smart phone does.

The problem with Audi's approach of "let your phone do it" is that manipulating your phone, even to do something as simple as picking a new Pandora station is dangerous. I really like BMWs approach, which is that if you have the apps/tech package, the car integrates with the phone to a degree that you can even use the jog shuttle to send a quick canned reply to an email or text (doesn't work yet with iPhone sadly).

Anyways, I think that in 3-5 years that kind of tech is going to be standard on pretty much any auto, luxury or otherwise, which is one reason that this go round I am going to lease vs. buy, the tech is just changing to fast to make another 8-10 year commitment to a vehicle that I sit in now for 90 minutes a day.

When you spend a lot of time driving, and some of it is in heavy traffic, the in-car infotainment, traffic features, etc, become more important.
Very valid concerns and reasonable to got the Lease route. I tried talking my wife into that for her next car - no go. She's a 'own it' kinda gal. Fine with me, as long as I get to update my Audi every 4-5 yrs
Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't forget apps like Pandora aren't even available in Europe (licencing issues) so I'd say that's at least part of why they Euro brands are somewhat slower to adopt it than American ones (though nobody told BMW apparently). I test drove an All-Road today and the Google maps was nice but not that nice. Still not a huge improvement over the RNS in my Audi A3. I guess we have to wait till the new A3 sedan touch screen stuff comes out to have some really significant changes.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by milknchees
Don't forget apps like Pandora aren't even available in Europe (licencing issues) so I'd say that's at least part of why they Euro brands are somewhat slower to adopt it than American ones (though nobody told BMW apparently).
Part of iDrive's design is made from the United States, I believe.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

The argument could be made that fumbling around with MMI or iDrive while driving is just as dangerous as selecting a song on your phone. In all cases you aren't paying attention to the road. I guess you should by a ford and use sync if you're that concerned about it......or have Siri pick the song for you
Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JSING
The argument could be made that fumbling around with MMI or iDrive while driving is just as dangerous as selecting a song on your phone. In all cases you aren't paying attention to the road. I guess you should by a ford and use sync if you're that concerned about it......or have Siri pick the song for you
You are presenting your opinion as if it is a fact. Government and independent studies are demonstrating that systems that put the display as close to the driver field of view and require moving your eyes a minimum distance from the roadway are safer than other systems that require you to look down and away (sync).