A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Did any of you who are previous A4 owners look at the A3 instead?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did any of you who are previous A4 owners look at the A3 instead?

Currently: 1998.5 A4 1.8TQM sport

I'm looking at the new A4 but have some reservations. Its much bigger than the old car, and the stock suspension seems even stiffer than the old sport. Also, I'm not into all the electronic gee-whiz stuff.

Anyone think about the A3 alternative?
Old 01-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Elder Member

Default I went from an 02 A4 1.8T Avant to an 06 A3 2.0T...

Different cars. I had sport in my Avant. The A3 2.0T back then was only FWD and I didn't have sport.

That said, I thought it was a blast to drive, primarily because of DSG (wish I could have DSG in all my cars). The biggest issues I had with it:

* Much smaller cargo area
* I had OpenSky, which didn't have an opaque cover, so it got hot inside

Other than these things, I enjoyed owning driving that car. I bought it on impulse (the first one the dealer sold) and probably should have waited until I could get it with sport since I missed the handling of my Avant. I traded it in last year because it was time for something new for me.

My wife currently has a B7 S-Line sedan and the A3 is not on her list of replacements when her lease is up because it is so much smaller in the cargo area. More than likely, she'll get the B8 Avant with sport.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes - definitely, but ended up back with an A4 (more - long)

I really, really like the A3. But it just leaves me wanting more.

First off, I am a 'stubby' car guy. I have mentioned before on this forum that I loved my MkIV Jetta because of the snub-nose. My B6 A4 was bigger, but still had that blunt, carved from a block of soap look to it. The B6 was the perfect size for me.

When the B8 A4 debuted, I was definitely put off by the sleeker design - just a little. I love the longer wheel base and the wheels pushed out (marginally - I think it should still be more BMW like and right to the corners). But it is still a little tapered. (As time has gone on, I think it looks perfect with the S-Line package and big wheels).

But it got me thinking about the A3. I have always liked the car. In fact I loved it when it first came over here. My wife had a Golf, and I have always liked hot-hatches. And I love that it is 4-doors, because I like the access to the back (easy to put my gear in or easy to get my young kids in and out of car seats). I checked it out and I definitely liked the car. I really like the size of it. There would be issues with car seats, but even though the A4 is bigger, there are still issues with that, so neither one wins. But that is the territory of the small car, so nothing to complain about. The car looks awesome and it has such a nice stance in S-Line mode.

Inside it has a decidedly different feel from the A4. It is all about being 'sporty'. It is very nice and very functional. It definitely doesn't have the premium feel of the A4 or TT, nor is it meant to (just like the A4 is not the A6 is not the A8). Fit and finish is like an upgraded VW (my friend equates it to his GLi). I don't necessarily find this a deterrent, but it definitely puts the A3 half a notch lower than the A4 in the 'entry-level premium' category.

The other thing that lowers it for me is that the Quattro is the reactive Haldex-style Quattro, not the Torsen, always on kind. We can all debate whether one is better than the other, but teamed up with the front-wheel drive bias of the car, it definitely drives different than my B6 A4 and presumably even more different than the B8 (which I have had only about an hour of seat-time in). The A3 definitely feels like a front wheel drive car. Not that that is bad, it is just different and not my thing.

Finally, the other thing is that I cannot even get the car how I want - I cannot get it with a combination of Quattro and 6-speed manual. And I prefer the turbo engine, and they have not upgraded the engine to the new higher torque 2.0. I think that the S-tronic is pretty darn good, and I would probably get used to it, but I doubt that I would love it over rowing the gears.

When all of it is combined, for me, the A3 is a great little car, but not an A4. And I am fine with that, except for one final, crucial thing. The car is only $3000 shy of the A4 in price. That is the deal breaker for me. I definitely appreciate the car. But if I am looking at lease or finance payments that differ by $40/month (guestimating), then I want a better equality in car. Like the interior should be a bit nicer and I should be able to get the new 2.0, with a manual. I know that there are a few extras like the Magnetic Ride, Open Sky and the S-tronic, which are not on the 6-speed manual A4. At the very least, I would want a manual with the Quattro - if that was an option, then I would probably have thought harder about this car. And if the price difference was $5000, then maybe I would have chosen that.

But this is also nothing new - Audi has definitely stated that the A3 vs A4 is more of a lifestyle choice and less of a step-up/step-down choice, so it is priced accordingly. Personally, I think that this is a marketing message more than anything (being in advertising, I am always suspicious of advertising and marketing messages!).

Sorry - this is not supposed to be a bash on the A3. I still think that it is a great little car.

BTW - on the Canadian forum, the A3s and their owners, are routinely slagged - I am not sure why, though...
Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A4 > A3

You get what you pay for. The A4 is more "premium" in every area. Like most of us, I think you'd adjust to the size and firmer ride. In fact, we all look back and say, "how could I have survived without this stuff?" You'll like it. And you won't look back.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default The A3 is nice and rear space is similar to B6/B7 A4 but...

cargo space is minimal and it seems that the A4 is a lot more car for not a lot more cash.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No Turbo engine with quattro+6spM ....and lets not forget we dont get the S3!!

Thats why my next car is gonna be the 1 series BMW 135i. Anyday i should be ordering it!
Im buying a little time on, a. saving for a bigger down payment, b. maybe they'll offer a sunroof delete, c. shady economy.....

You listening.......AUDI of NA!!?!?!?<<you have failed me megatron>>
Old 02-01-2009, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly why I am skipping the A3. No 2.0t quattro manual (i'll pass on DSG)
Old 02-02-2009, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default You're right.

You can select the manual and quattro buttons on the audiusa site, and continue but nothing comes up at the end. Had me fooled for a while.